Which gap is larger? From Chase to Higgins or from Higgins to Tyler Boyd

mdonnelly21

In terms of overall talent/skill/ability which gap is larger?   

21 members have voted

1. 1. In terms of overall talent/skill/ability which gap is larger? 

• The gap is larger between Chase and Higgins
    • The gap is larger between Higgins and Boyd

I think Chase is a superstar #1, Higgins is a superstar #2 or low end tier #1 very similar to Amari Cooper.

I think Boyd is rock solid, but I think he's a #2 at best on most teams, unless you're talking about a team like the Bears or Giants.

I legitimately think that Higgins is a #1 on a lot of teams.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, August4th said:

I hope the cap breaks up this trio soon. I'd like Boyd to come back home

Next year is likely the last year.  They are going to break the bank to keep Burrow, Chase, and Higgins together, so guys like Boyd and Mixon won't get cut, but they aren't getting extended for a 3rd contract either.  After the big three, the rest of the money for offense is going to the oline, and they'll fill in the rest with rookies and reclamation projects like Hurst and to a lesser extent Collins.

I'm curious if either of Boyd or Mixon would take less to stay?  I think not, and I certainly don't begrudge them getting the bag.  Each has already received a lucrative second contract from the Bengals, which is the only reason I even think it's a possibility, but I doubt it.

It would not shock me if they take a WR on day 2 in the next year or two.  I wouldn't even completely rule out round 1 if the right guy was there, like if Jaxon Smith-Njigba fell to the end of round 1 because of medical concerns that the Bengals were ok with.   That'd be five years of a WR core of prime Chase, prime Higgins, and a 1st rd talent on a cheap rookie deal (until the last year or two, but that cap keeps going up too)

Edited by THE DUKE
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Just a random guestimation really.  One of those is Cincinnati.  Maybe Miami, Philly, Bucs?

I think it's more than that.  Chargers, Vikings, 49ers, Seahawks, Broncos, Raiders (between Waller/Renfrow targets), maybe Rams depending on how you're viewing Robinson after this year.  Does Boyd out target Gabe Davis if he's in Buffalo?  NO, in the unlikely scenario that Michael Thomas plays.  Someone like Detroit is interesting with Amon-Ra and how they'll view Williams, coming into year 2.   Many debatable, but that's just off the top of my head.  Maybe he does slot in as a number #2 some of those places.

He's an elite 3, but I don't think he jumps in as a clearcut 2 for much more than like half of the league.  He's probably a mid tier 2.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Next year is likely the last year.  They are going to break the bank to keep Burrow, Chase, and Higgins together, so guys like Boyd and Mixon won't get cut, but they aren't getting extended for a 3rd contract either.  After the big three, the rest of the money for offense is going to the oline, and they'll fill in the rest with rookies and reclamation projects like Hurst and to a lesser extent Collins.

I'm curious if either of Boyd or Mixon would take less to stay?  I think not, and I certainly don't begrudge them getting the bag.  Each has already received a lucrative second contract from the Bengals, which is the only reason I even think it's a possibility, but I doubt it.

It would not shock me if they take a WR on day 2 in the next year or two.  I wouldn't even completely rule out round 1 if the right guy was there, like if Jaxon Smith-Njigba fell to the end of round 1 because of medical concerns that the Bengals were ok with.   That'd be five years of a WR core of prime Chase, prime Higgins, and a 1st rd talent on a cheap rookie deal (until the last year or two, but that cap keeps going up too)

I think Cincinnati would be wise to Pay Burrow (obviously), Chase (obviously), and Higgins (slightly less obvious). From there, I think that if you are able to find and lockup a legit superstar LT, you pay him.

Aside from that, I think you're absolutely right, that this team likely pulls an early 2000s Colts and just continually tries to reload offensive firepower ala the Reggie Wayne and Anthony Gonzalez picks, and Dallas Clark as well, a few of their RB's they drafted like Edgerrin James, Addai, Donald Brown.

You hope you can be ahead in most games with a super sound EDGE to rush the passer (right now they have that) and then build up the secondary to anticipate having to defend the pass since teams will be playing from behind.

The best "faller" at the WR or offensive skill spot(s) like JSN would make complete sense, or even a Bijan Robinson as a RB.

Maybe they look at Washington from UGA at TE or Mayer from ND if he falls.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

I honestly think they would prefer Washington to Mayer.  TE blocking is a big part of our scheme.

I mean, I personally also prefer Washington to Mayer and think Washington's game is going to translate a lot more into the NFL regardless as to what he did in college. He's a mauler in the run game and athletic enough to flex into the slot. He's a personnel nightmare IMO.

Just now, SmittyBacall said:

In the little I've seen of Washington, I'm not all that impressed. Reminds me of Jelani Woods last year.

IMO with Washington, you're really buying into his untapped potential. Worst case scenario I think he's a mauler in the blocking game and a capable #2 target.