The Lamar offseason talk thread

diamondbull424

2 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

The Byron Jones incident is why I find reports about the team being surprised by Lamar not coming back for the postseason interesting.

An athlete that had a 44.5” vertical coming out, is now not able to jump because of the pills and injections given to him for injuries?

When an outside opinion might’ve given him more sustainable approaches that would’ve allowed him to play through his contract.

I don’t know if other franchises are just run poorly or if the Ravens do things differently, but if team doctors say one thing and a players doctors say another, I’m trusting the players doctors and erring on the side of recovery.

Not related to the contract talk much, but just saying. Now hopefully a better S&C program will make it so none of these issues pop up quite so much moving forward.

The NFL is going to annihilate a human body no matter what team you play on but I do think Miami under its current ownership is a noted scummy franchise.

that being said I do think Lamar could’ve played like others have said but it’s kind of baltimores fault for not giving him a contract if they want to use his running. 

• Like 1

So if we're to believe the report today from Florio and Simms, they also said Lamar lost a massive shoe deal because he has no agent.

So not only has he cost himself millions upon millions with his NFL money, he's also missing out on what I can only assume is tens of millions additionally in endorsements as well because he doesn't want to have an agent.

Yikes, man. Yikes.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

So if we're to believe the report today from Florio and Simms, they also said Lamar lost a massive shoe deal because he has no agent.

So not only has he cost himself millions upon millions with his NFL money, he's also missing out on what I can only assume is tens of millions additionally in endorsements as well because he doesn't want to have an agent.

Yikes, man. Yikes.

I mean, it makes sense.

He’s a superstar QB and the one ad campaign he’s been in in 5 years is for a sunglasses company that faded out of popularity in the 1990s lol.

Meanwhile you couldn’t watch TV without being inundated with Mayfield, Mahomes, Rodgers, Murray, Wilson commercials in the same span.

I always wondered why an explosive, “cool” athlete that kids gravitate towards wasn’t in way more stuff. Would make a lot of sense tbh

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

The NFL is going to annihilate a human body no matter what team you play on but I do think Miami under its current ownership is a noted scummy franchise.

that being said I do think Lamar could’ve played like others have said but it’s kind of baltimores fault for not giving him a contract if they want to use his running. 

Yeah, I think if he’s got a deal with guarantees, he probably braces it up heavily and basically goes into the game being a statue… sort of like the Flacco hip game… and see if that gets it done.

But I truly don’t think based on what I’ve been told medically (not from anyone connected to the team but just doctor friends that simply read the tweet) that he would’ve been close legit healthy unless we had made it to the SB… and assuming he didn’t suffer any setbacks in any game leading up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

I mean, it makes sense.

He’s a superstar QB and the one ad campaign he’s been in in 5 years is for a sunglasses company that faded out of popularity in the 1990s lol.

Meanwhile you couldn’t watch TV without being inundated with Mayfield, Mahomes, Rodgers, Murray, Wilson commercials in the same span.

I always wondered why an explosive, “cool” athlete that kids gravitate towards wasn’t in way more stuff. Would make a lot of sense tbh

It's crazy man. My girlfriend works with like every NFL player you can think of for her job and I'm always like "YOU GOTTA GET LAMAR" and then I remember he doesn't have ANY agent. Not a contract agent, no marketing agent, nothing. Meanwhile, Leonard Fournette has a marketing agent, an entire company for contract agency, a personal agent, etc. etc.

like man...lamar is fumbling the ******* bag so hard

• Like 1

Seems like the shoe deal thing with lamar isn't true. 

The nflpa boss seems like it is a fully gtd deal

11 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Yeah, I think if he’s got a deal with guarantees, he probably braces it up heavily and basically goes into the game being a statue

Be a statue in gro system? he wasn't able to play, and he'll have to have extra caution due to being utilized as a runner, and movement in the pocket.

15 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

I mean, it makes sense.

I don’t think it’s that crazy when he’s trying to build his own apparel line. The financial side hasn’t paid off but if Lamar wants to be a self made man representing his own brand, I can respect that play. Lamar doesn’t strike me as someone who’s going to whore his likeness off to state farm.

he wants to be a billionaire. That kind of wealth is made by owning your own production not acting in commercials. I don’t think era 8 apparel will take off like that but I can respect the ideals behind it. Google tells me baker mayfield made about 10 million a year by shamelessly marketing himself when he was popular. That’s a ton of money for regular people but it will never turn someone into a billionaire 

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

I don’t think it’s that crazy when he’s trying to build his own apparel line. The financial side hasn’t paid off but if Lamar wants to be a self made man representing his own brand, I can respect that play. Lamar doesn’t strike me as someone who’s going to whore his likeness off to state farm.

he wants to be a billionaire. That kind of wealth is made by owning your own production not acting in commercials. I don’t think era 8 apparel will take off like that but I can respect the ideals behind it. Google tells me baker mayfield made about 10 million a year by shamelessly marketing himself when he was popular. That’s a ton of money for regular people but it will never turn someone into a billionaire 

And that’s good for him, but that’s exactly why I don’t see him compromising in these negotiations & IMO is what disappoints me as a fan. Lamar is about Lamar. Is what it is but not every QB in the league prioritizes their monetary status or want to be a billionaire over the football aspect of it. Since Lamar threw the game clinching pick 6 in Buffalo he hasn’t played in a single playoff game since. Mahomes has played in 9, Burrow 7, Allen 5. Don’t see us getting over the hump with him tbh. People are free to disagree. He’s a good player and fun to watch but I won’t be terribly upset if/when he’s gone. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

And that’s good for him, but that’s exactly why I don’t see him compromising in these negotiations & IMO is what disappoints me as a fan. Lamar is about Lamar. Is what it is but not every QB in the league prioritizes their monetary status or want to be a billionaire over the football aspect of it.

Countepoint:

Until we see ONE SINGLE QB with a net worth over $100M choose to play for a veteran minimum contract while they are still good, then I think this is a bogus narrative. 

Mahomes' cap hit is over $49M next year. Don't you think he rich enough that cap space put towards 3 great players that can help get another chip should be more important than being somewhat wealthier?

Sure, you'll say I'm a Lamar stan, but it definitely seems like you are the one applying different rules to Lamar.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Countepoint:

Until we see ONE SINGLE QB with a net worth over $100M choose to play for a veteran minimum contract while they are still good, then I think this is a bogus narrative. 

Mahomes' cap hit is over $49M next year. Don't you think he rich enough that cap space put towards 3 great players that can help get another chip should be more important than being somewhat wealthier?

Sure, you'll say I'm a Lamar stan, but it definitely seems like you are the one applying different rules to Lamar.

I’ll have to go into the KC and BUF subforums and ask them about the specifics of their contracts and whether they were/are viewed as more “team friendly” than they were expecting before I get into a debate about it because all i’ve heard is that those QB contracts were relatively team friendly, but I don’t want to get into the specifics of this debate and speaking too much more on it before getting a full view of those contracts

Initial impression though is that the best QB in the world having a cap hit of $49mil 3 years into his mega deal is probably going to reinforce my overall point compared to what Lamar is *allegedly* going after. I’ll get back to you 

There’s a huge difference between me advocating for a QB playing on a vet min contract and the point i’m making and I think you know that though.

Mahomes has also shown that he can win a SB with a supporting cast not many people expected to win one this year so I don’t think you’re making an apples to apples comparison. If the Chiefs were constantly getting eliminated in the first round then yeah, maybe you’d have a point that Mahomes should take less too to improve his team around him. But clearly they don’t need to lol

Edited by Ray Reed

14 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

I’ll have to go into the KC and BUF subforums and ask them about the specifics of their contracts and whether they were/are viewed as more “team friendly” than they were expecting before I get into a debate about it because all i’ve heard is that those QB contracts were relatively team friendly, but I don’t want to get into the specifics of this debate and speaking too much more on it before getting a full view of those contracts

You are already fantasizing about how selfless Burrow was for his new contract which doesn't exist yet. When has specifics been an issue for you before? 

14 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

There’s a huge difference between me advocating for a QB playing on a vet min contract and the point i’m making and I think you know that though

No I don't. I care about specifics. If this fantasy of a QB who felt he had enough money to prioritize winning over money, that is the specific data point I want to see to believe it. Specifically, I'll allow up to $5M AAV.

Like I'm being the unreasonable one when you openly admit you basing everything around buzz words like "team-friendly" 😂

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 2