The Lamar offseason talk thread

diamondbull424

2 minutes ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Difference between 4 picks and 2 picks, 2 1st rounders vs. 3 is still pretty significant. If Lamar isn't coming back then the goal has to be maximizing the capital we get coming back - it becomes the most important decision the Ravens make over the next 5 years and one that makes the difference between keeping us in contention and sliding back into the middle of the pack. At the very least you gotta give yourself as many chances to get another franchise QB, whether that's more 1st round picks, or a guaranteed top 5/10 pick. Huge difference between that and getting back two picks in the high teens or 20's. 

We got a 1st rounder for Hollywood Brown, if we barely do better than that for Lamar then EDC has royally screwed the pooch. 

I understand all of that. But if we do this we have a chance to actually keep Jackson. The only way we’re keeping him is if he tests the market and the best offer is one we can match. Which to me is worth risking a couple extra picks. Not to mention, a 2025 1st rounder probably won’t be high because that team will have Lamar Jackson.

8 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

I understand all of that. But if we do this we have a chance to actually keep Jackson. The only way we’re keeping him is if he tests the market and the best offer is one we can match. Which to me is worth risking a couple extra picks. Not to mention, a 2025 1st rounder probably won’t be high because that team will have Lamar Jackson.

Agreed that we should let him talk to other teams, I just don't see why that we can't put the exclusive tag on him but then waive the protection against him talking to other teams - it wouldn't be tampering if we give him the permission to do it and the only real downside is that the cap hit is higher. And if he doesn't find what he's looking for then perhaps he takes the Ravens' offer. 

Biggest difference would be that if they agree a contract with him, they need to also negotiate a trade package directly with the team rather than negotiating with Lamar and knowing that if we don't match it, they get him for pennies on the dollar from a trade compensation perspective. 

As I see it it can't both be true that there's a team willing to give him the fully guaranteed/Watsonesque deal and that Lamar has such limited trade value that we should settle for the non-exclusive tag compensation. If you're willing to pay him then it's because you think he's worth 3-4 1st rounders, so you gotta pay that premium. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli

38 minutes ago, Xmad said:

Correct and the ravens prepared for both scenarios, if they get a deal done business as usual, if not plan B and we look to the draft and focus on cutting costs to add talent where it's needed.

I'll believe it when I see it. Forgive me for not being optimistic about a team that neglected the WR position time and again. A team that neglected the tackle position last year, only to cripple us 

Just throwing this out there. Let’s say We sign Lamar to non exclusive Panthers come in and offer contract that we don’t match. Stroud, Young and Richardson off the board. If we could get Tom Brady to sign a one year deal would you be down for that?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, santiagomn8 said:

Just throwing this out there. Let’s say We sign Lamar to non exclusive Panthers come in and offer contract that we don’t match. Stroud, Young and Richardson off the board. If we could get Tom Brady to sign a one year deal would you be down for that?

Brady looked pretty washed most of last year but if i’m being totally honest it’s Tom Brady so i’d be for it lol

Rapoport doesn’t think there’s a team out there willing to invest in Lamar to the level that Lamar expects contract-wise.

Mentions Atlanta as somewhere specifically he’s looked into.

What would really suck is if Lamar goes out, finds out that no other team values him like he anticipated, but still holds a grudge against us for some reason/holds out hope that one day a team will come around and continues to not sign our best offer sheet.

1 hour ago, santiagomn8 said:

Yes without a doubt. If Lamar is gone Brady is the only way this team remains a threat. 

but Brady is done 

6 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

When's the absolute last day for something to not get done? Isn't that coming up soon? I want to set a reminder in my calendar so I can start unmuting everything because it's all just been the same cycle of reporting for months and it's so tiresome. Nothing new has been reported.

Soft Deadline: 3/7 @4pm
- Franchise/Transition Tag deadline
- Have to determine if we tag him and which tag.

Hard Deadline: 7/17
- This is the deadline to negotiate a long term contract before playing the entire year on the tag.
- I’m not sure if teams are allowed to negotiate in season or not with a tagged player, but my understanding is they are not.

Tomorrow is going to be a big day for us. Honestly at this point I think I’m ready to move in from Jackson. It was great while it lasted but I just don’t think he is meant for Baltimore. I understand him wanting as much money as he can get but I just can’t get past the fully guaranteed or close to it contract. We have an Ubertalented team and we can be competitive and challenge for a Super Bowl. If we move in from Lamar this is what I would want to happen in order from most to least

1. Draft CJ Stroud from jackson trade

2. Sign Tom Brady to one year deal. We use are high first round pick for JSN (from Lamar trade or tag) pair him with Bateman DUvernay Andrews and Likely that’s Brady’s went dream. Add to that A great OLine Dobbins and Edwards to close out games. And a great defense this smells like a superbowl to me.

3. Sign Garapalo see above

4. Sign Winston to 1 year prove it deal a la Geno Smith 

5. Draft Hendon Hooker in third and let him compete with Huntley and wait for next season to draft our QB1

Pretty amazing to me to see folks be so cavalier with losing a league MVP in his mid 20s. If Lamar Jackson walks for two 1st round picks, someone should be immediately fired. Ravens backed themselves in an unnecessary corner with a generational talent, but they've always done business like this. The only difference is that Flacco put it on their forehead in '12. LJ8 should've been given a blank check for what he's been able to do in this offense with these weapons at the skill positions. Absolutely insane this is how its gonna end.

And @santiagomn8 Those are some shakey alternatives, but interesting to look at. Stroud is cool, but I'd be happier with Richardson. Brady looks washed. I'm good on Winston, but might be able to be talked into getting on board with his signing. Keep Garapalo as far away from the Ravens as possible, hard pass. Hooker is a cool. At this point, unless you're getting Stroud or Richardson, Ravens should just re-sign the man who went into business for himself (Huntley) and draft their QB next year.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RavensfanRD said:

Pretty amazing to me to see folks be so cavalier with losing a league MVP in his mid 20s. If Lamar Jackson walks for two 1st round picks, someone should be immediately fired. Ravens backed themselves in an unnecessary corner with a generational talent, but they've always done business like this. The only difference is that Flacco put it on their forehead in '12. LJ8 should've been given a blank check for what he's been able to do in this offense with these weapons at the skill positions. Absolutely insane this is how its gonna end.

And @santiagomn8 Those are some shakey alternatives, but interesting to look at. Stroud is cool, but I'd be happier with Richardson. Brady looks washed. I'm good on Winston, but might be able to be talked into getting on board with his signing. Keep Garapalo as far away from the Ravens as possible, hard pass. Hooker is a cool. At this point, unless you're getting Stroud or Richardson, Ravens should just re-sign the man who went into business for himself (Huntley) and draft their QB next year.

League mvp 3 years ago and hasn’t finished the last two regular seasons costing us playoff opportunities. It ain’t like he’s walking out the door after just winning an MVP. He looks to be going down the Cam Newton path and not the Pat Mahomes path. 

Edited by M.10.E
  • Like 1

I'll never get over how this media 180 on Lamar Jackson has progressed. Coverage of him and what he deserves is just hysterical at this point.

He's the only QB where the media frames a failure to meet his demands as some sort of moral failing on the part of the organization. 

Notice how Daniel Jones coming off his best year gets laughed at/derided for simply trying to max out his deal, but Lamar Jackson coming off two season ending injuries and consecutive years of regression is lauded for negotiating without an agent, refusing to negotiate throughout the season, and demanding the world. 

So many of these pundits aren't actually pro player(in support of any player trying to maximize their $$$ up against the club/owner), but all of them seem to be pro Lamar. Which is odd as their support/devotion to him has only increased as his play/success has gotten worse. Post MVP he had more detractors in the media than he does now. It all feels very artificial, and imo his existence within NFL media has become politicized. I think there's external and internal pressure at these media companies to cover Lamar and specifically his standing in these negotiations favorably- with the NFLPA being one of the main culprits behind the scenes. The NFLPA has no problem grabbing their ankles for the league and owners during each and every CBA, but now they want to play the part of heroic knight acting for the greater good. Lamar is an easy mark because he has no agent and has shown a willingness to chance hurting his own position to prove a point in the past(Combine). Hope he's enjoying his new friends. 

I'm just happy this part of the saga is coming to an end, tomorrow should be fun.

Any predictions?

I'll go with the exclusive franchise tag, and Lamar liking a bunch of incoherent tweets attacking the club. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Notice how Daniel Jones coming off his best year gets laughed at/derided for simply trying to max out his deal, but Lamar Jackson coming off two season ending injuries and consecutive years of regression is lauded for negotiating without an agent, refusing to negotiate throughout the season, and demanding the world. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Never said Lamar and DJ's value was remotely comparable, merely pointed out how people applaud the 'nobility' of Lamar's quest for a historic deal- but deride Jones seeking one commensurate with his own station.

You proved my point.