The Lamar offseason talk thread

diamondbull424

3 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

The answer to this is largely due to the lack of team success.

The simple fact of the matter is that we've won 1 playoff game in 5 seasons with Lamar at the helm. Same # of wins in that span as teams like the Cleveland Browns and New York Giants. Whether you think that lack of meaningful success is the front office's fault, Lamar's fault, or a combo of both is entirely up to the individual, but the fact is that's not nearly good enough. If we were consistently winning playoff games with Lamar, or had even gotten to a conference championship in the last 5 years I don't think people would be nearly this cavalier about it.

It's just really hard for most fans of the team to get really upset about losing a player when we haven't had much meaningful success with them. It's like, what exactly are we getting upset about? Worst case we'll just continue to not win playoff games? Oh, ok. Damn. Well we weren't doing that anyway.

Cam Newton was released 4 years after he won an MVP and took his team to the SB and Panthers fans weren't particularly broken up about it. It's all contextual.

And before he got there, we hadn't been to the playoffs in 4 years. At least you're getting there and vying for a shot at a championship. We saw how good they were without him after losing 5 in a row while being the #1 seed. Now if they trade him, they're supposed to get better? Doesn't make sense to me. Especially since I believe the biggest problem on the offense has been officially removed (Greg Roman) That Cam Newton comparison also doesn't make sense as he was 30 years old when he was gone from Carolina, not 25 26. Plus already had gotten paid. But like always, time will tell us whether the right move was made. He may stay and the Ravens win nothing. He may leave and they do win. We'll see.

11 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

Lamar slapped with the non-exclusive tag. He gone?

Now he’s gonna see firsthand no other team is giving him the albatross he’s looking for. 

Wouldn't put it past him to continue to hold off on an extension though. Just because his ego will be bruised.

Whats going to happen in the coming months, imo, is:

-> no other team offers him deal he’s looking for

-> he continues to not sign our extension even though it’s best offer on table, because he wants to hit FA in 2024, and is stubborn/being pushed by NFLPA to hold out for larger deal

-> he’ll play on the non-exclusive tag this year, impacting our FA ability and hindering our new offensive system after not showing up until september 

-> he’ll bank on ravens not being able to tag him again next year so that he can hit FA and choose his team

Edited by Ray Reed

29 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

That was quick

They're stupid for choosing Ridder over Lamar, but this is good for us. It shows already that one of the most desirable teams for him is like "nah we good" with that looming fully gtd contract he's asking for.

I have a very small but growing suspicion Lamar's bluff is gonna get successfully called.

I honestly think this is the smartest move the ravens could make. I truly believe the ravens offered Lamar the highest paid QB salary per year and potentially highest guaranteed or close to it outside of Watson of course contract. They know no other team will match his contract demands and also give 2 first round picks. WAIT!!! As I’m writing this I came to a realization it’s time to move on from Lamar. I believe if the ravens are proven right and we have the best contract he might sign but idk if he will be happy here. Honestly this is the messiest situation I’ve ever seen. If I could I would trade him for 3 first round picks and be done with it period unfortunately the time has past for that

Surprised the Falcons are standing pat. Think the Panthers are going to be a different story though. Tepper is more of a new school owner and I don't think is going to care about 'setting precedent' or whatever. 

If EDC does somehow successfully call Lamar's bluff here though I'll be extremely impressed. But I still think a trade is incoming. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Surprised the Falcons are standing pat. Think the Panthers are going to be a different story though. Tepper is more of a new school owner and I don't think is going to care about 'setting precedent' or whatever. 

If EDC does somehow successfully call Lamar's bluff here though I'll be extremely impressed. But I still think a trade is incoming. 

Nobody has mentioned this but what if a team waits til after the draft to put in a offer sheet and we don’t match… We would then have to wait until next year to start receiving compensation and if he goes to said team and kills it we end up with extremely weak compensation for a 26 year old ex unanimous MVP… While this is probably our only move (non-exclusive) it’s extremely risky because a team could possibly get a whole season of play from Lamar without having to compensate us at all next season… 

Edited by bmorecareful