The Lamar offseason talk thread

diamondbull424

1 hour ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I was going off this:

If the Ravens oblige Lamar Jackson’s trade request, the terms of the deal would not automatically be 2 first-round picks, as would be the case if a team signs him to an offer sheet.

As long as Jackson signs his franchise tag tender, any terms can be agreed to - for more or less…

— Field Yates (@FieldYates) March 27, 2023

Is this accurate? I’ve seen reports that non-exclusive tender being applied and signed based off the new collective bargaining agreement means that the max is two FRPs.

Hopefully the above is true otherwise this was a huge organizational miscalculation.

Edited by diamondbull424

1 hour ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

Something strange to me about "requesting a trade" when you've already been given the go-ahead to negotiate with other teams. 

It's just Lamar trying to juice the field once again....

He thinks all of this noise will drum up the offer that hasn't existed(from any club) to this point. I can imagine he's also motivated to try and take back narrative control after his 'Ken Francis' blunder. Simply one more transparent step from Lamar.

We probably aren't too far away from him deleting everything Ravens off his social media, some liked tweets vaguely referring to the Ravens as nefarious actors, etc etc. The now standard tactics of players seeking more money in the NFL.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Shocker.....

"So here's what we want you to do. We know we're not getting any interest from other teams, so we're gonna manufacture that. You need to say you requested a trade on March 2nd, this will make it official for other teams that you want to be gone."

"But I don't want to be gone...?"

"Yeah that's right. So this will inflate your value!"

"Oh, okay. I guess."

"It's brilliant! Trust us!'

Look at how stupid Tony Jefferson is-

It's always fascinating to me how some fans/3rd party observers break under the emotional drain of negotiations they aren't involved in. 

'The Ravens and Lamar are negotiating' = "Oh my god we're in a full rebuild!!! Just tank already!!!"

Can all we agree that the Ravens have handled all of this perfectly?

Non-exclusive franchise tag was perfect. We have control of Lamar and can tag him back to back years while paying less than fair AAV. Did Lamar's tweet throw off Harbuagh? Nope, he handled all the questions perfectly from the clips I saw. Whole team is convincingly putting out support for him, while maintaining all the leverage.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Can all we agree that the Ravens have handled all of this perfectly?

Non-exclusive franchise tag was perfect. We have control of Lamar and can tag him back to back years while paying less than fair AAV. Did Lamar's tweet throw off Harbuagh? Nope, he handled all the questions perfectly from the clips I saw. Whole team is convincingly putting out support for him, while maintaining all the leverage.

I can’t agree until we actually get fair compensation or Lamar long term… all the other stuff will be irrelevant if this sets the team back half a decade or longer 

29 minutes ago, bmorecareful said:

I can’t agree until we actually get fair compensation or Lamar long term… all the other stuff will be irrelevant if this sets the team back half a decade or longer 

the only thing that would set this team back a half decade is signing jackson to a fully gauranteed deal

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, paraven said:

the only thing that would set this team back a half decade is signing jackson to a fully gauranteed deal

I disagree but with the caveat that he is  healthy for the duration of the contract… I know recent history dispute the possibility but let’s be honest We don’t pay offensive players like that anyway… the cap distribution really wouldn’t change that much… I honestly wouldn’t want it at this point either but let’s be real.. we’ve paid LT and TE at the top of the market offensively… beyond that we bargain shop… if Lamar takes our winning percentage from 33% to 70+% which the current numbers have proven over the last few years does it really matter who gets the money… it’s not like we spend it anywhere else offensively… We were paying him 6 million dollars per season on average the last 5 years and still paid the least amount of money for WRs lol… it’s not like we have shown with better money distribution we would actually pay to improve the skill positions… So if u gon keep making him the whole offense why not pay him for what ur asking him to be… it is what it is IMO

12 minutes ago, bmorecareful said:

if Lamar takes our winning percentage from 33% to 70+% which the current numbers have proven over the last few years does it really matter who gets the money… it’s not like we spend it anywhere else offensively… We were paying him 6 million dollars per season on average the last 5 years and still paid the least amount of money for WRs lol… it’s not like we have shown with better money distribution we would actually pay to improve the skill positions… So if u gon keep making him the whole offense why not pay him for what ur asking him to be… it is what it is IMO

Who should we have paid on offense?

48 minutes ago, bmorecareful said:

I disagree but with the caveat that he is  healthy for the duration of the contract… I know recent history dispute the possibility but let’s be honest We don’t pay offensive players like that anyway… the cap distribution really wouldn’t change that much… I honestly wouldn’t want it at this point either but let’s be real.. we’ve paid LT and TE at the top of the market offensively… beyond that we bargain shop… if Lamar takes our winning percentage from 33% to 70+% which the current numbers have proven over the last few years does it really matter who gets the money… it’s not like we spend it anywhere else offensively… We were paying him 6 million dollars per season on average the last 5 years and still paid the least amount of money for WRs lol… it’s not like we have shown with better money distribution we would actually pay to improve the skill positions… So if u gon keep making him the whole offense why not pay him for what ur asking him to be… it is what it is IMO

I think that's why the Ravens tried to build in those injury guarantees, for that exact scenario.