The Lamar offseason talk thread

diamondbull424

52 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Rap is saying we're gonna franchise tag Lamar. That's highly disappointing for all of us being optimistic about a deal, but it was probably the most realistic outcome. Now if that does happen we pivot to seeing whether or not Lamar will hold out

Ive heard that Biscotti has stepped in, told Decosta to do and say whatever in the next few weeks, but to trade Lamar at or before the draft for whatever they can get

8 hours ago, paraven said:

Ive heard that Biscotti has stepped in, told Decosta to do and say whatever in the next few weeks, but to trade Lamar at or before the draft for whatever they can get

Sources?

EDIT: Otherwise I’m going to assume it’s your imagination… because I’ve seen nothing anywhere else that hints at this rumor.

Edited by diamondbull424

The plan was always to use the tag if needed. It's not a sign of anything. Didn't mean anything when they said the same about Flacco after year 5. I think there was/is a little chance of a non-exclusive tag if they wanted to be bold and force a move one way or the other. If Lamar is traded it won't be at or before the draft, it will be between the start of the tag window and the league new year on March 15. Otherwise they will have made a bunch of significant moves for cap space they don't need. 

This isn't from sources. This is from my understanding of the rules and what makes sense.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, wackywabbit said:

The plan was always to use the tag if needed. It's not a sign of anything. I think there was/is a little chance of a non-exclusive tag if they wanted to be bold and force a move one way or the other. If Lamar is traded it won't be at or before the draft, it will be between the start of the tag window and the league new year on March 15. Otherwise they will have made a bunch of significant moves for cap space they don't need. 

This isn't from sources. This is from my understanding of the rules and what makes sense.

Yeah I don’t feel like Rapp is really saying anything new here. It’s just common sense like you said. Will the Ravens tag Lamar? Absolutely. Because the alternative is letting Lamar go for the air leftover within a bag of lays potato chips after they’re all gone.

They will either tag with the intentions of negotiating or tag with the intentions of trading or tag with the intentions of figuring it out.

But either way unless a deal gets done BEFORE the tag deadline, then the Ravens aren’t not going to tag him. They’d be fools to simply let him walk.

So I certainly wouldn’t take this as a sign of failed negotiations. If anything they’re probably just beginning this cycle of negotiations post Jupiter meetings.

32 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

Yeah I don’t feel like Rapp is really saying anything new here. It’s just common sense like you said. Will the Ravens tag Lamar? Absolutely. Because the alternative is letting Lamar go for the air leftover within a bag of lays potato chips after they’re all gone.

They will either tag with the intentions of negotiating or tag with the intentions of trading or tag with the intentions of figuring it out.

But either way unless a deal gets done BEFORE the tag deadline, then the Ravens aren’t not going to tag him. They’d be fools to simply let him walk.

So I certainly wouldn’t take this as a sign of failed negotiations. If anything they’re probably just beginning this cycle of negotiations post Jupiter meetings.

To add to this, I think the tag makes a lot of sense given where we stand. Going into next year, it could be seen as a "trial run" with Lamar. If he doesn't hold out, comes into camp in shape, produces in a more pass friendly offense with our new OC, remains injury free and leads us on a postseason run, I don't see any reason the team wouldn't be willing to sign him to a deal with over $200M guaranteed next year with the cap continuing to go up and the uncertainty of the Burrow and Herbert contracts (likely) out of the way.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

To add to this, I think the tag makes a lot of sense given where we stand. Going into next year, it could be seen as a "trial run" with Lamar. If he doesn't hold out, comes into camp in shape, produces in a more pass friendly offense with our new OC, remains injury free and leads us on a postseason run, I don't see any reason the team wouldn't be willing to sign him to a deal with over $200M guaranteed next year with the cap continuing to go up and the uncertainty of the Burrow and Herbert contracts (likely) out of the way.

If we tag Lamar, why wouldn't he hold out?

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

If we tag Lamar, why wouldn't he hold out?

This article does a better job than I could explaining the nuances of holding out under the franchise tag:

https://985thesportshub.com/2021/03/04/nfl-franchise-tag-do-players-have-to-accept/

To add to that, last year was the first real "big" money Lamar made with his 5th year option - roughly $23M. Lamar would be insane to turn down a minimum of $45M for the coming year on the exclusive franchise tag, or risk any portion of that being docked via fines for holding out.

15 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I mean, Lamar clearly has no issue turning down tens of millions of dollars. I just don't see why he would play when he's not on a long-term deal but that's just me.

The difference is $45M is guaranteed next year and he is not locked into a 5+ year contract. At the end of next year, even in the event he plays poorly or gets injured, worst case scenario is another tag (minimum of $54M in the second year) or going back to a contract with minimum $133M guaranteed over 5 years. It's a win-win situation for Lamar in terms of money, as long as he doesn't hold out.