The Lamar offseason talk thread

diamondbull424

21 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

It's funny how consistent the messaging is from players (offensive and defensive and special teams) and coaches and executives on the team is about Lamar.... and yet none of it actually trends to being "news"

Yet, somehow those quotes about Sammy Watkins (apparently) "calling Lamar out for not playing" is a headline

I mean you cant go from anything any player says. Imagine mark saying anything negative about lamar, and then he returns next year, would be awkward as **** 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, paraven said:

I mean you cant go from anything any player says. Imagine mark saying anything negative about lamar, and then he returns next year, would be awkward as **** 

Ask Russell Wilson if that is a rule. Also plenty of ex-players could have said something. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Ask Russell Wilson if that is a rule. Also plenty of ex-players could have said something. 

And they have said something. Almost all of them have come out and said Lamar wasn’t the problem, it was Roman’s system. They talked about the love they had for Lamar. So yeah, plenty of players have had opportunities to crap on him and they haven’t. Heck non- Ravens players have even come out and gone to bat for him too.

We can talk as much as we want about Lamar deserves this, Lamar deserves that, but it's becoming abundantly clear that he isn't one of the Tom Brady/Joe Burrow types who are out here proactively trying to take team friendlier deals to have as much team success as possible. He wants his bag and he's not going to compromise. That's his approach to this situation. Not anything inherently good or bad about that approach, but the fans who are constantly going with the "yassss king, get every cent you can from the Ravens, you deserve it king" need to understand that not every player thinks that way, and Lamar may not be the "all about the team" guy that he was painted as his first few years in the league. This will ruffle some feathers in here - no pun intended - but it is what it is. Some players take less to help the team around them. Lamar isn't that guy. That's the reality of the situation.

Youre Not That Guy GIFs | Tenor

Edited by Ray Reed

52 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

We can talk as much as we want about Lamar deserves this, Lamar deserves that, but it's becoming abundantly clear that he isn't one of the Tom Brady/Joe Burrow types who are out here proactively trying to take team friendlier deals to have as much team success as possible. He wants his bag and he's not going to compromise. That's his approach to this situation. Not anything inherently good or bad about that approach, but the fans who are constantly going with the "yassss king, get every cent you can from the Ravens, you deserve it king" need to understand that not every player thinks that way, and Lamar may not be the "all about the team" guy that he was painted as his first few years in the league. This will ruffle some feathers in here - no pun intended - but it is what it is. Some players take less to help the team around them. Lamar isn't that guy. That's the reality of the situation.

Never been an expectation of mine for Lamar or any player to take less money to potentially marginally improve team's chances of success. Nor do I expect the Ravens to make an offer that they believe hurts their chances, out of loyalty for the value he provided on his rookie contract. Not a reason to criticize either party. You say there is nothing inherently good or bad about the approach, but you sure sound like this bothers you or that he is being less "good" than if he took less money to save the Ravens cap space.

According to Spotrac, Tom Brady made $97,795,588 the last 3 years with the Bucs. Given his wealth and how much he cares about winning, are you disappointed he didn't play for the vet min and allow the Bucs to have another 2 top level non-QB starters? I guess we'll see how charitable Burrow is when he signs.

Edited by wackywabbit
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Never been an expectation of mine for Lamar or any player to take less money to potentially marginally improve team's chances of success. Nor do I expect the Ravens to make an offer that they believe hurts their chances, out of loyalty for the value he provided on his rookie contract. Not a reason to criticize either party. You say there is nothing inherently good or bad about the approach, but you sure sound like this bothers you or that he is being less "good" than if he took less money to save the Ravens cap space.

According to Spotrac, Tom Brady made $97,795,588 the last 3 years with the Bucs. Given his wealth and how much he cares about winning, are you disappointed he didn't play for the vet min and allow the Bucs to have another 2 top level non-QB starters? I guess we'll see how charitable Burrow is when he signs.

Yeah, inherently there's nothing wrong with a player trying to maximize their earnings. I understand that and the business aspect of it.

That understanding can also coexist with the fact that yeah, it bothers me as a fan of the Baltimore Ravens that players on other teams (including our biggest competition in-division) are open about trying to maximize their surroundings by potentially taking less money while our QB may not do the same. Why wouldn't it? I root for the Ravens. It's preferable to me that the Ravens have the best team possible lol. I don't think that's any sort of bombshell news or unique to sports fans - is it? If it was, why would this forum for decades be filled with fans in threads celebrating when their team signs a player to a deal most consider team friendly/under market? Why aren't people celebrating in threads when they seemingly over pay a guy?

I'm willing to bet a vast, vast majority of fans of any sport would prefer their players take less $ in order to increase the quality of the team. If you don't, great, you're a great person to personally value players' financial situations over the potential success of your favorite team. But reality is that you'd be in a very small minority on that.

Edited by Ray Reed

38 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Yeah, inherently there's nothing wrong with a player trying to maximize their earnings. I understand that and the business aspect of it.

That understanding can also coexist with the fact that yeah, it bothers me as a fan of the Baltimore Ravens that players on other teams (including our biggest competition in-division) are open about trying to maximize their surroundings by potentially taking less money while our QB may not do the same. Why wouldn't it? I root for the Ravens. It's preferable to me that the Ravens have the best team possible lol. I don't think that's any sort of bombshell news or unique to sports fans - is it? If it was, why would this forum for decades be filled with fans in threads celebrating when their team signs a player to a deal most consider team friendly/under market? Why aren't people celebrating in threads when they seemingly over pay a guy?

I'm willing to bet a vast, vast majority of fans of any sport would prefer their players take less $ in order to increase the quality of the team. If you don't, great, you're a great person to personally value players' financial situations over the potential success of your favorite team. But reality is that you'd be in a very small minority on that.

Let's just not start praising Burrow for a theoretical contract he hasn't even signed yet. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

Youre Not That Guy GIFs | Tenor

Yeah I remember before Russ signed his first mega deal everyone was saying he would take a home team discount and all that. Nope. Didn't happen.

I'll wait to see what Burrow actually signs until I give him credit for thinking about the team vs. his bag.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Let's just not start praising Burrow for a theoretical contract he hasn't even signed yet. 

Haven’t done that? That’s a straw man. 

My post was referring to players outright openly talking about the possibility of it happening in cincy and that being the sense they’re getting. The post acknowledged the speculative nature of the observation. Obviously I know he hasn’t signed a team friendly deal yet. My overall point is that we’ve never heard even remotely something close to that from players around the Ravens or Lamar himself.

The rhetoric around Lamar’s contract from players around him has been and continues to be simply “pay the man. he’s earned it”. There doesn’t seem to be remotely a possibility based on what we’ve seen so far that Lamar is even considering anything close to a team friendly deal. He’s in it to get the biggest bag he can.

There’s already a noticeable difference in the rhetoric surrounding our division rival’s QB from players close to him.

That’s allowed to frustrate me as a fan when the whole persona of Lamar his first 3 years was said to be “man, this guy just cares about his team and ball…that’s it!”

We’ll see what happens. 

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Haven’t done that? That’s a straw man. 

My post was referring to players outright openly talking about the possibility of it happening in cincy and that being the sense they’re getting. The post acknowledged the speculative nature of the observation. Obviously I know he hasn’t signed a team friendly deal yet. My overall point is that we’ve never heard even remotely something close to that from players around the Ravens or Lamar himself.

The rhetoric around Lamar’s contract from players around him has been and continues to be simply “pay the man. he’s earned it”. There doesn’t seem to be remotely a possibility based on what we’ve seen so far that Lamar is even considering anything close to a team friendly deal. He’s in it to get the biggest bag he can.

There’s already a noticeable difference in the rhetoric surrounding our division rival’s QB from players close to him.

That’s allowed to frustrate me as a fan when the whole persona of Lamar his first 3 years was said to be “man, this guy just cares about his team and ball…that’s it!”

We’ll see what happens. 

I gotcha, I'm just joking around. The last thing we need is MORE people blowing smoke up Joey's rear end for something he hasn't done. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

I gotcha, I'm just joking around. The last thing we need is MORE people blowing smoke up Joey's rear end for something he hasn't done. 

Trust me, i’m with ya, i’d love nothing more than to see him break the bank for a record 600 million guaranteed and see those boys spend the next decade consistently coming up short 😂

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

😂 

Literally Lamar hasn’t even signed a deal, nor has Burrow. So this assertion that Burrow is “team friendly” is just your own head canon.

Chase didn’t say Burrow is going to sign for pennies so that he can make sure his defense is stocked up, he’s got the perfect OL, and that his receivers plus backs can eat; no, he said he’s making sure his weapons eat.

Guess what, Lamar’s weapons are already paid… his name is Mark Andrews. That’s the end of his major weapons. So I guess if Burrow is a saint because he’s making sure to take just enough so that his weapons can also get paid, then maybe Lamar is also a saint as well in this future where he signs a deal with the Ravens.

I hope this was a drunk post or something. I’m struggling to not laugh at how bent you sound, while acting as though you’ve simultaneously read the future (Joe Burrow’s deal) and have interpersonal insight into the Lamar negotiations. I was legit in a bad mood before I read this, but this was absolute gold. Legit crying here.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

9 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

😂

Literally Lamar hasn’t even signed a deal, nor has Burrow. So this assertion that Burrow is “team friendly” is just your own head canon.

Chase didn’t say Burrow is going to sign for pennies so that he can make sure his defense is stocked up, he’s got the perfect OL, and that his receivers plus backs can eat; no, he said he’s making sure his weapons eat.

Guess what, Lamar’s weapons are already paid… his name is Mark Andrews. That’s the end of his major weapons. So I guess if Burrow is a saint because he’s making sure to take just enough so that his weapons can also get paid, then maybe Lamar is also a saint as well in this future where he signs a deal with the Ravens.

I hope this was a drunk post or something. I’m struggling to not laugh at how bent you sound, while acting as though you’ve simultaneously read the future (Joe Burrow’s deal) and have interpersonal insight into the Lamar negotiations. I was legit in a bad mood before I read this, but this was absolute gold. Legit crying here.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Chow-yun-fat GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Like 1

You know? I think we might need to let him seek a trade. I think it’s the only way he’s going to realize what he wants is insane. He needs to find a team willing to give him the money, has the money, is willing to give us the draft picks, and has the draft picks. And the only organization I can think of dumb enough to do that just did it last offseason with Watson. 

• Like 2