The Lamar offseason talk thread

diamondbull424

6 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Yes, the risk that we should care about is that Lamar is bad enough that no one wants to take on that cap hit and he will have to be cut and we eat that cap space. My opinion is the percentage chance of that happening and the Ravens still being close enough to contention to take advantage of that cap space with another QB pretty small. Like in the 10-15% range at most. I'm willing to risk that to keep Lamar on this team.

Not to mention the guaranteed would actually benefit the team in the event that Lamar is still Lamar 5 years from now… or rather that he’s at least a top 5-10 impact QB, which is a safe enough bet.

It’s less smart to assume Lamar is going to bust over the next five years so we should pay him ~$40m more over the five years in the event that he doesn’t bust. That some LDT is overrated because he might get hurt level thinking.

No, I’d rather pay ~$40m less and if Lamar isn’t that guy, I’d rather have committed less overall. Because the chances that Lamar sucks enough to not finish his deal and be cut outright within a five year span is INCREDIBLY low, even up and down guys like Ryan Tannehill, Kirk Cousins have been on the path to finishing their deals. Lamar is about as good a passer as Cousins plus much more an athlete, I’m will to take the bet that he’s still capable at 30.

24 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

If this is true and he's asking more than Watson, he's gone 10000%.

Yup, is what it is. Some fans think we should do that. I’m in the opposite camp.  Doesn’t really matter what we think though - it’s been clear for a while that Lamar isn’t budging on the fully guaranteed thing. It’s been clear for a while that the FO isn’t going to extend that offer. So Jackson will have to compromise, or he’ll be traded. Pretty simple situation. Fans with their heads in the sand can do whatever mental gymnastics they want to do to hang on to the last vestiges of Lamar being the innocent hero who saved the franchise, but it’s clear what’s going on in this situation.

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Yup, is what it is. Some fans think we should do that. I’m in the opposite camp.  Doesn’t really matter what we think though - it’s been clear for a while that Lamar isn’t budging on the fully guaranteed thing. It’s been clear for a while that the FO isn’t going to extend that offer. So Jackson will have to compromise, or he’ll be traded. Pretty simple situation. Fans with their heads in the sand can do whatever mental gymnastics they want to do to hang on to the last vestiges of Lamar being the innocent hero who saved the franchise, but it’s clear what’s going on in this situation.

He gone. I reckon the team leaked this to soften the blow 

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, BareYourTeeth said:

Does everyone agree that another team WILL give him the fully guaranteed contract he's asking for?

Yes. Fully guaranteed contract is just a financial matter forthe owner* and at least a couple of teams will see Jackson as a massive money maker over their current state. 

* Ok, it's 85-90% financial matter for the owner

• Like 1

In the past 2 drafts we have traded two core offensive players… We won the Hollywood trade… and we loss the Orlando Brown (it could turn around but as of now it’s a loss)… If we trade Lamar we need to get a high draft pick this year because it’s likely all other 1sts are going to be in the 20s… I’m guessing 3 1sts and some additional players/picks… So 3 years out we will kno what we got for the trade but in 3 years a lot of our current roster will have aged out… but.. we will have picked 10 1st rounders in a 5 year period… Bateman and Oweh will either be up for contracts or off the roster… core guys like Hump Smith Williams and Stanley will either be still going strong or in need of a replacement.. Put it like this… it can be extremely risky… but if handled correctly… We could build a very good overall roster with blue chip talent in multiple spots.. it all boils down to whether we feel like we have the resources to build a championship roster with the additions we could make if we give Lamar what he wants contractually… I’m a huge Lamar fan probably the biggest in our forum… But if as a franchise we don’t feel like we can build a champion after we pay him then let’s get what we can and believe in the process… it’s risky and I’d hate to see him somewhere else but if our current history is all we have to look forward to… then so be it… I can accept losing but I can’t accept losing the same way year after year… 

• Like 1