Senior Bowl Thread

Just Want A Title

Other than the Combine, the Senior Bowl is arguably the second most event for evaluating draft prospects.  Based on the Senior Bowl Invitation list so far there will be a lot of talent on display. 

One of the players I am interested in is CB Devon Witherspoon He has received an invitation and it would be really insightful to see him play against the WRs at the Senior Bowl after having such a great season.  I am also really interested to see how DT Keeanu Benton and CB RIley Moss stack up also.

What are some of the story lines and players we should be following?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

Other than the Combine, the Senior Bowl is arguably the second most event for evaluating draft prospects.  Based on the Senior Bowl Invitation list so far there will be a lot of talent on display. 

One of the players I am interested in is CB Devon Witherspoon He has received an invitation and it would be really insightful to see him play against the WRs at the Senior Bowl after having such a great season.  I am also really interested to see how DT Keeanu Benton and CB RIley Moss stack up also.

What are some of the story lines and players we should be following?

Witherspoon is getting a ton of CB1 buzz, so I'd like to see him show up and show out to prove he's that guy. He's a bit smaller in stature so I'm most interested in seeing how he does 1-on-1 with a bigger WR. Karl Brooks should also be an interesting guy and see how he plays against a higher level of competition. Same goes with McClendon Curtis, OT/G out of Chattanooga and Aubrey Miller, the LB from Jackson State. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

Witherspoon is getting a ton of CB1 buzz, so I'd like to see him show up and show out to prove he's that guy. He's a bit smaller in stature so I'm most interested in seeing how he does 1-on-1 with a bigger WR. Karl Brooks should also be an interesting guy and see how he plays against a higher level of competition. Same goes with McClendon Curtis, OT/G out of Chattanooga and Aubrey Miller, the LB from Jackson State. 

Right now this draft class seems a little weak at OG, off-the-ball LB and DT.  It will be interesting to see of the Senior Bowl changes that narrative

It looks like Siaki Ika wont be at the Senior Bowl.  Maybe he is trying to shed some weight before the Combine.  If he showed up with his weight too high it would definitely hurt his draft stock.  He was listed at 358 Lbs while playing at Baylor.  Personally, I think teams will be a little cautions if his height is above 340 Lbs.

https://steelersnow.com/standout-baylor-nt-siaki-ika-absent-from-senior-bowl-dl-roster/

Edited by Just Want A Title

In my overall breakdown of the WR class, Rashee Rice is a guy that is really growing on me. 

Size - 6'3, 206 (We don't currently have anyone on the roster over 200 lbs)

• 1344 Yards (96/156 targets or 61.5% reception rate) - 14.0 YPC
  • 10 TD's (6.4% TD/TGT or 10.4% TD/REC)
  • 593 YAC Yards (6.2 YAC/REC) WITH 44.1% of yards coming from YAC
  • 9 Total Drops (5.8% drop rate)
  • 16/33 Contested Catch Rate (48.5%)
  • 19 Missed Tackles Forced (19.8%)
  • Slot - 134 Snaps; WideR - 641 Snaps

He has a 2nd -3rd round grade at the moment. He's someone I would definitely consider at 55. 

Biggest downside, is he has 3 fumbles (3.1%) which is on the higher end of things and he contributed to 4 INT's. Both are above average in this group of 40+. All of this is coming in the AAC, so quality of competition is suspect. 

6 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

In my overall breakdown of the WR class, Rashee Rice is a guy that is really growing on me. 

Size - 6'3, 206 (We don't currently have anyone on the roster over 200 lbs)

• 1344 Yards (96/156 targets or 61.5% reception rate) - 14.0 YPC
  • 10 TD's (6.4% TD/TGT or 10.4% TD/REC)
  • 593 YAC Yards (6.2 YAC/REC) WITH 44.1% of yards coming from YAC
  • 9 Total Drops (5.8% drop rate)
  • 16/33 Contested Catch Rate (48.5%)
  • 19 Missed Tackles Forced (19.8%)
  • Slot - 134 Snaps; WideR - 641 Snaps

He has a 2nd -3rd round grade at the moment. He's someone I would definitely consider at 55. 

Biggest downside, is he has 3 fumbles (3.1%) which is on the higher end of things and he contributed to 4 INT's. Both are above average in this group of 40+. All of this is coming in the AAC, so quality of competition is suspect. 

The more I think about it, the less likely it is that DJ Chark would re-sign with the Lions.  WR could be a definite need.  

33 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

The more I think about it, the less likely it is that DJ Chark would re-sign with the Lions.  WR could be a definite need.  

Even if he does, we can carry 6 WR's. Chark (assuming he comes back on a 1 year deal), Reynolds, Raymond and Cephus (assuming he lasts this long) are all UFA's in 2024. Rice is going to be 22. You can carve snaps out of Reynolds and Raymond's time, instantly upgrading our depth at the position. He'd have a cap hit of around $1.2M (comparing contract to Skyy Moore - similar draft spot, same position). Cutting Cephus would essentially pay for that in itself. 

Raymond and Reynolds are both going to be nearing their 30's by next year. We're going to start seeing some turnover at that position soon enough. Probably shouldn't do it all in one big go. This would give Goff three capable WR's he already has rapport with, so we can afford to add another 1-2 guys (either FA or the draft) that can play catch up. 

• Like 1

Roschon Johnson broke a bone in his hand and is probably out for the remainder of the Senior Bowl.  He is a converted QB who was a back-up to Bijan Robinson.  He has some really good measurables.  He was reportedly one of the fastest players on the team despite being a bigger RB.   I don't think this does much to to his draft stock but it makes the Combine even more important for him.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/02/01/texas-rb-roschon-johnson-suffers-broken-bone-in-hand-at-senior-bowl-practice/

Edited by Just Want A Title

https://www.nfl.com/news/2023-senior-bowl-day-1-standouts-byu-wr-puka-nacua-impresses-center-rising-into-

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2023-senior-bowl-without-a-deep-qb-class-a-pair-of-offensive-skill-players-stand-out-on-day-1/

https://www.detroitlions.com/news/senior-bowl-day-1-observations-jones-foskey-carter

Reading a few different articles on day 1 standouts and interesting to see differing opinions of who stood out the most.  Dawand Jones mentioned in every article it seems. 

If we go RB, Tyjae Spears looks like a guy that could take over the Swift role if we dont plan to resign him.  

The Twentyman article mentioned Karl Brooks and Isaiah Foskey as having good days.  

Always good to see a Spartan with positive production and displays.  I think Reed is one that could break out in the right system.  I think he could be a solid fill in for Chark/Reynolds if he is available in the later rounds.  

33 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

https://www.nfl.com/news/2023-senior-bowl-day-1-standouts-byu-wr-puka-nacua-impresses-center-rising-into-

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2023-senior-bowl-without-a-deep-qb-class-a-pair-of-offensive-skill-players-stand-out-on-day-1/

https://www.detroitlions.com/news/senior-bowl-day-1-observations-jones-foskey-carter

Reading a few different articles on day 1 standouts and interesting to see differing opinions of who stood out the most.  Dawand Jones mentioned in every article it seems. 

If we go RB, Tyjae Spears looks like a guy that could take over the Swift role if we dont plan to resign him.  

The Twentyman article mentioned Karl Brooks and Isaiah Foskey as having good days.  

Always good to see a Spartan with positive production and displays.  I think Reed is one that could break out in the right system.  I think he could be a solid fill in for Chark/Reynolds if he is available in the later rounds.  

The CBS Sports article mentioned Riley Moss.  He seems a bit under-rated right now.  Like a lot of CBs his stock may rise after the combine.  Still, given the depth of this CB class he may still go in Round 2.