Off-Ball Linebacker Talk

MOSteelers56

12 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

That is their scheme. Bend, don’t break. I just feel that he will be a MIKE in the NFL. He was playing OLB in their scheme quite a bit. If you’re at MIKE, you have to move extremely fast to clear down blocks and fit the run back inside. I haven’t seen him do that. 

True, but it doesn't mean he can't. That's my issue with the draft. So much of what happens is just how hard the kid is willing to work and how good of coaching they'll receive.

• 2 weeks later...

Sanders intrigues me. I think his missed tackles are putrid, but he seems to be really smart and has a feel for gap responsibilities. He can be useful as a pass rusher. He will put on more tin, and his closing speed is great. I’m worried OLs will shut him down though. 

I like my linebackers to be psychos in contact. I think it’s the position you most need brutality in. As in, taking on those huge offensive linemen one-on-one, you need to get them off you or shed them as a matter of urgency. Often, that requires incredible power and will. In this case, I think I’d like Sewell 

@BetterCallSaul team Sewell….I guess. Weak class 

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Sanders intrigues me. I think his missed tackles are putrid, but he seems to be really smart and has a feel for gap responsibilities. He can be useful as a pass rusher. He will put on more tin, and his closing speed is great. I’m worried OLs will shut him down though. 

I like my linebackers to be psychos in contact. I think it’s the position you most need brutality in. As in, taking on those huge offensive linemen one-on-one, you need to get them off you or shed them as a matter of urgency. Often, that requires incredible power and will. In this case, I think I’d like Sewell 

I struggle with putting a value on Sanders.  He's not great at being an ILB, like at all, but he is big, athletic, and can bring a lot as a pass rusher, potentially.  But you have to have a defense that would make good enough use of him, and he's not someone like Trenton Simpson that oozes athleticism in an obvious way, and can do a lot.

This is a weird LB class.

Just now, Daniel said:

I struggle with putting a value on Sanders.  He's not great at being an ILB, like at all, but he is big, athletic, and can bring a lot as a pass rusher, potentially.  But you have to have a defense that would make good enough use of him, and he's not someone like Trenton Simpson that oozes athleticism in an obvious way, and can do a lot.

This is a weird LB class.

Yeah, agreed. I wouldn’t know how to use him. I love what I see, but I know it would be different in the NFL. Unless you have the Eagles DL or something