What is your confidence level in Brock Purdy?

mdonnelly21

What is your confidence level in Brock Purdy?   

44 members have voted

1. 1. What is your confidence level in Brock Purdy?

6 minutes ago, Danger said:

Jalen Hurts is a team player. Just because he's a playmaker doesn't mean he's not a team player, hello?

Start here:  Have you heard Brock Purdy described as a "playmaker" often [compared to Jalen Hurts]?

So, relatively speaking, which QB is more likely to rely on his big play potential?  And how well does such a reliance work against a top three franchise?

5 minutes ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

Start here:  Have you heard Brock Purdy described as a "playmaker" often [compared to Jalen Hurts]?

So, relatively speaking, which QB is more likely to rely on his big play potential?  And how well does such a reliance work against a top three franchise?

So. because Purdy can't do things that Hurts can. That's why you're picking the 9ers?

Don't get me wrong I definitely think the 9ers very well could win, but that's a stupid reason.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Danger said:

Coin Flip.

If the Eagles can put the 9ers in obvious passing situations by getting up on them early, I think the 9ers are toast.

The niners wont deviate from the run early in the game just because they are losing. That is not how this team operates. 

Plenty of teams have loaded up the box and told Brock to beat them. The niners have come out throwing the ball early in games because the defense is over committed to the run. 

That is different than what you are saying though, which is essentially: "we are going to pin our ears back on first down because we are up 14 points in the first quarter". If you do that, the niners will gash you in the run game or will screen you to death.  

The niners dont blink. They arent going to panic. Its just not in their DNA. Especially in the first half because they know they will have plenty of time to mount a comeback.  

I havent looked up stats to back this up, but I would bet the niners are the best, if not one of the best, second half teams in the history of the league in terms of point differential. The niners shut out opponents 5 times in the second half. 8 other times they held opponents to 7 points or less in the second half (I am including the denver game where the defense gave up 6 points in the second half but garoppolo stepped out of the back of the endzone unpressured). So that is 13/19 games with 7 points or less allowed in the second half. The only real blemish is the KC game, where the game got out of hand very quickly and KC scored 30 (which was the last game the 49ers lost, back on October 23rd)

Its perfectly fine to say the eagles can have a lot of success by getting the niners into obvious passing situations (aka third and long), but saying the niners will be forced to pass if the eagles get a lead early just does not make sense in my opinion. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Danger said:

Jalen Hurts is a team player. Just because he's a playmaker doesn't mean he's not a team player, hello?

That's sophistry.

I'd argue that Jalen is more of a "team player" than Purdy. The Eagles entire scheme/offensive philosophy is built around Jalen Hurts strengths. Purdy is the definition of "product of the system."

Same level of trust as I had with him against the Cowboys, probably a 6 or 7. His best trait is that he is very poised and does not panic or get discouraged when he is having some rough moments. But he has some limitations and those two defenses are very good so he will not have his way against the Eagles just like he did not have his way against the Cowboys. Purdy will use his legs and mobility to get out of sacks, make some plays down the field on the run and be accurate in the middle of the field on those in breaking routes....But he will also miss some reads, will leave the pocket too early at times and will take a sack because he took too long to get rid of the ball. Like he is what he is and I don't think that changes against Philly...even in that atmosphere. 

I'm pretty low on him in general but if it was confidence level in him w/ Shanahan then it is probably a 5-7. He is putting him in great spots and Purdy is making the plays and crucially avoiding the big mistakes. 

This week will be a tough test. He's shockingly played just 1 true road game in his starts. This will a really tough environment with more pressure than he's ever faced. From what he's shown, I don't it will be too much for him but you never know until you get there.

22 hours ago, Forge said:

I was going to say something along these lines. 

This is such a weird feeling because I want the Niners to lose (I'll never understand fans who want their division rivals to do well).

But I also legitimately think it's a bad match up for the Niners.

Whoever controls the LOS more wins IMO

On 1/24/2023 at 6:16 PM, Dr A W Niloc said:

The game is a toss-up.  Normally, I'd take the home team but, as the geeks say, "It's easier to beat one guy than 22."

This implies that Jalen Hurts is the only reason the Eagles are good which couldn't be further from the truth, they're absolutely loaded on both sides of the ball. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

This implies that Jalen Hurts is the only reason the Eagles are good which couldn't be further from the truth, they're absolutely loaded on both sides of the ball. 

The equality of the two teams has been stipulated.

San Francisco and Philadelphia are equal:  1st and 2nd in aggregate talent, 3rd and 2nd (behind Buffalo) in DVOA.

IMHO, the most salient difference between these teams is that one has a QB whose aggression works well when not confronted with the league's #1 defense.  Is it a coincidence that all three Philadelphia losses were against teams with top 9 (DVOA) defenses?

Meanwhile, the 7-0 QB seems far less likely to push the envelope. 

This game could be decided by one turnover.

Just now, Dr A W Niloc said:

The equality of the two teams has been stipulated.

IMHO, the most salient difference between these teams is that one has a QB whose aggression works well when not confronted with the league's #1 defense.  Is it a coincidence that all three Philadelphia losses were against teams with top 9 (DVOA) defenses?

Meanwhile, the 7-0 QB seems far less likely to push the envelope. 

This game could be decided by one turnover.

Has Purdy faced a defense like Philly's outside of maybe the Cowboys?