Split the check?

biggio7

The night after my wedding, all of our friends were hanging out with us in Atlantic City. We got like a 15 person table at a nice Italian restaurant, where everything was family style, ordered a ton of stuff, then did the group split. That was a fun time and nobody had a problem with it. Otherwise though, we normally split it based on what everyone got. Get one check, someone fronts the bill, then we do venmo or something similar; never ask a waiter/waitress to bring like 4 separate checks. When my wife and I go out with one of our couple friends, normally we'll split the check right down the middle. We are super close with them, what's a few dollars difference?

• Like 2

I think the only time I've ever been part of a group at a restaurant larger than 3 or 4 people is when it's a work function and someone throws it all on their company card.  I guess I've just never been in that situation, but I can tell you that it would be a cold day in hell that I'm paying $50+ because someone ordered a bunch of appetizers, drinks, or steaks I didn't touch.  I'll pay my part and probably throw $20-$30 towards the tip.  Someone always cheaps out on the tip and I don't think it's fair to the wait staff.  Especially for a large table.  8 people all shouting their customized orders, drinks, sides, whatever at the same time.  Looks stressful as hell.  How you gonna give them $2 and sleep at night?  

22 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Get one check, someone fronts the bill, then we do venmo or something similar; never ask a waiter/waitress to bring like 4 separate checks.

This is a reasonable method to me - one reason I don’t like to pay individually is because that’s putting some server making $2.15/hr in the position to create goodness knows how many checks for our group. It’s a weird little thing of mine, I don’t like complicating the effort of those who give me food.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Depends on the group but I typically just get the check. 

I also don’t go out with groups of people all that often anymore and when I do it’s with friends and family, not acquaintances.

Yeah if its family, we usually scramble to be the one who gets the check

• Like 3

On 1/26/2023 at 2:37 PM, minutemancl said:

The night after my wedding, all of our friends were hanging out with us in Atlantic City. We got like a 15 person table at a nice Italian restaurant, where everything was family style, ordered a ton of stuff, then did the group split. That was a fun time and nobody had a problem with it. Otherwise though, we normally split it based on what everyone got. Get one check, someone fronts the bill, then we do venmo or something similar; never ask a waiter/waitress to bring like 4 separate checks. When my wife and I go out with one of our couple friends, normally we'll split the check right down the middle. We are super close with them, what's a few dollars difference?

my-man.gif

Exactly this. 

• Like 1

On 1/26/2023 at 12:13 PM, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Tipping for carryout should always be done IMO but I was a server/bartender for a long time so maybe I'm biased.

Think of it this way: The bartender (most restaurants have them handle carryout orders) is away from their guests and getting your food ready, ensuring it's accurate, and bagging it up prior to cashing you out. That is time that could be used to be attentive to their other guests, especially if they're busy. IMO, in the restaurant industry, the FOH staff's time is always worth something even if it's the hostess taking care of it b/c they have other duties as well. Now I'm not saying 20-25% is standard for this unless you have a massive order that takes them a while to take care of but I always tip at least 10% on to-gos. If it's a place I frequent more often, like a lot of places in my town, I tend to do 20% b/c if they see me walk in, they tend to not make me wait long and it's only my wife and I so our meal prices aren't very high in general. 

I strongly disagree with this. Making sure food isn't screwed up and putting it in a bag are not tip worthy. It's the same thing drive-thru people do, and they don't get tipped. However, I tip carry out anyway because I'm too much of a damn softy. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Anyone else have a family member that always fakes the race to pay?

Willy Wonka Stop GIF

...as the server walks away with the check/card from said family member.

Rookies. You’re supposed to leave your wallet in the car and not realize it until the server is walking up.

It plays way better when you see the server coming and are the first to reach for your wallet, but unfortunately it’s gone 

Edited by Dome
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Dome said:

Rookies. You’re supposed to leave your wallet in the car and not realize it until the server is walking up.

It plays way better when you see the server coming and are the first to reach for your wallet, but unfortunately it’s gone 

Always make sure to take a well timed piss.

”Wudduya mean the bill’s been taken care of!?!!?  I walk away for 2 min…..”

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Always make sure to take a well timed piss.

”Wudduya mean the bill’s been taken care of!?!!?  I walk away for 2 min…..”

Plus, the older we get, the more we can fake prostate issues for multiple walkaways for this well timed restroom break.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

I strongly disagree with this. Making sure food isn't screwed up and putting it in a bag are not tip worthy. It's the same thing drive-thru people do, and they don't get tipped. However, I tip carry out anyway because I'm too much of a damn softy. 

It's not what they're doing that's the point as I elaborated on. It's them being away from their guests that are dining in which their time, that you're using, could be used to better serve their guests that are sitting.