Split the check?

biggio7

Just now, BobbyPhil1781 said:

It's not what they're doing that's the point as I elaborated on. It's them being away from their guests that are dining in which their time, that you're using, could be used to better serve their guests that are sitting. 

That doesn't track either. We are both customers. That time is inherently already dedicated to serving customers. 

4 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Hey, no problem. I'm not here to convince anyone to do anything. I find the logic sound and you don't. Nothing wrong with that

I absolutely don't. But like I said, I'm a big softy and the most generous tipper I know.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

I absolutely don't. But like I said, I'm a big softy and the most generous tipper I know.

Yeah, I'm overly generous as well but I worked in the field for a long time in college and afterwards lol. I have an appreciation for stuff that goes on behind the scenes and take into accounts a lot of personal experiences where the words "we haven't seen you in a while" were said to me. 

I will never tell someone what to do with their money. They earned it and should get to decide for themselves lol. I'd be an awful financial advisor 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

It's not what they're doing that's the point as I elaborated on. It's them being away from their guests that are dining in which their time, that you're using, could be used to better serve their guests that are sitting. 

Additionally people at a drive through get paid a different wage than a server who’s often just getting like $2 an hour.

I don’t tip 20%, but I do toss $5-10 extra to them depending on the size of the bill for their effort. It’s how they make their living.

• Like 1

I'm not a split the check type of person, but I'm also not a penny pincher by any means.  Most business can split up a check as needed, and those that can't do it after the food has been ordered should have had waiters/waitress ask before putting the orders in.  At the end of the day, is it a deal breaker?  No, but there's enough chances to not have to do that.

As far as tipping goes, I look at it from a perspective of how much effort are you doing to supply me a service.  You're paying for the food itself.  So if you're picking up food at a local restaurant and they're only providing the food, I don't tip.  If they're bringing you food, I'm tipping them.  If they're waiting on me for more than a few minutes, I'm tipping them.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

As far as tipping goes, I look at it from a perspective of how much effort are you doing to supply me a service.  You're paying for the food itself.  So if you're picking up food at a local restaurant and they're only providing the food, I don't tip.  If they're bringing you food, I'm tipping them.  If they're waiting on me for more than a few minutes, I'm tipping them.

Agree with this and handle in the same way. If I'm driving to pickup the food....thank you very much for handing it to me.

On 1/24/2023 at 9:44 PM, biggio7 said:

When you go out with a group to eat, how do you split the check? Do you divide the total with the amount of people or does everyone pay for what they get?

I went out with some friends (group of 9) to a restaurant on Saturday. I got a burger ($16) and a ginger-ale ($4). Bill came and someone said 'Everyone owes $54, that includes the tip.' All others were all cool with it. I thought that was a bit odd. They ordered four appetizers for the table. I didn't eat any. Some people got dessert and coffee but not everyone.

I just thought it was odd but maybe it's me. I guess if everyone eats evenly then the check should be split like that. But, just didn't seem to fit. What do you all think?

I am on a group vacation, and it will be my last one.  Someone in the group wanted to do a bunch of food at the house and I said that my girlfriend and I were going to eat out for most meals, and would not be contributing to the pot.  They got a bit testy, but I’m not paying for a bunch of stuff I’m not eating/drinking/whatever.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I am on a group vacation, and it will be my last one.  Someone in the group wanted to do a bunch of food at the house and I said that my girlfriend and I were going to eat out for most meals, and would not be contributing to the pot.  They got a bit testy, but I’m not paying for a bunch of stuff I’m not eating/drinking/whatever.  

We did this on the first "family" (as we called it) trip I ever went on and it caused a riff amongst others as well. At first, it seems like a good idea where everyone splits the cost of groceries down the middle but one thing we didn't factor in is that a few of our "scale challenged friends" ate far more than anyone else and hoarding food in their room which lead to some challenging discussions. After that, we just decided to go to all inclusive resorts so we didn't need to worry about it any longer lol.

On 2/13/2023 at 2:34 PM, BobbyPhil1781 said:

We did this on the first "family" (as we called it) trip I ever went on and it caused a riff amongst others as well. At first, it seems like a good idea where everyone splits the cost of groceries down the middle but one thing we didn't factor in is that a few of our "scale challenged friends" ate far more than anyone else and hoarding food in their room which lead to some challenging discussions. After that, we just decided to go to all inclusive resorts so we didn't need to worry about it any longer lol.

I know.  It’s race season for me, so I didn’t want a bunch of snacks and crap around.  Also, who the hell goes to a place like Puerto Rico and wants to eat in for most meals?  This was hands down some of the best food I’ve ever eaten.  I’m already looking for places around here, not to mention the one place in the county that’s a three mile run from the house (put the work in and then chowing down sounds great.) 

Sad thing is they ended up wasting most of it, because most meals ended up with people going out…..which is what I said a month ago when this discussion came up.  I was called “Sassy Naptownskinsfan” but I was right.  

On 1/25/2023 at 7:07 PM, ET80 said:

I only tip on seated service or delivery - drive through or carryout is no tip, only exception is a place where I see them make the food in from of me (like Freebirds or Gyro Hut). I also tip a few bucks at any super localized places in carryout scenarios, like the pho shops in my neighborhood or the donut shop that my kids love - places where the owners and workers recognize me and treat me nicely (might not know my name or my order, but always greet me and give me a drink while I wait for the food to be ready). 

I’m a very simple creature - if you feed me good food, I will like you and wish you good fortunes in the wars to come (or something like that).

I do this, too. But I also tip at one chain: Jersey Mike's. Because the staff at the location by my work are awesome. They go above and beyond and I appreciate the dining experience for lunch there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

I do this, too. But I also tip at one chain: Jersey Mike's. Because the staff at the location by my work are awesome. They go above and beyond and I appreciate the dining experience for lunch there.

Jersey Mike’s sort of falls into the "making my food in front of me" category (I think, been a while since I've been there).

Another exception for tipping for me - sporting events. If I'm at a baseball game and in the concession line, I'll tip usually a buck per item or so. Two Sprites, two waters, two beers, a hot dog, popcorn, nachos for two and four bags of Cracker Jack - that’s an $14 tip, give or take.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2023 at 6:19 PM, incognito_man said:

I definitely tip there as well. Hell, I tip basically any time it's asked. Can't help it, I'm just a sucker for it. I can justify it for most things but if people don't tip at places like this, I get it

23 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I definitely tip there as well. Hell, I tip basically any time it's asked. Can't help it, I'm just a sucker for it. I can justify it for most things but if people don't tip at places like this, I get it

That's because Jersey Mike's sandwiches are $5. And you let south Park advice dictate your life. 

Screenshot-20230217-175511.png