Mock Offseason Vol 1

KimuraGod

Hire:

Nathaniel Hacket. OC. Not my first choice but if it leads to the result at qb I want I’m all for it. Has ties to Saleh and worked with his best mate in GB. Signs pointing this is very close and he’s certainly a finalist for the job. 

Cuts: 

We look to remove some deadwood and get some cap space back so we cut the following; 

Corey Davis- $10.5m

CJ Mosely- $17m (post June cut)

Duane Brown (retire) $11m

Braxton Berrios $5m

Jordan Whitehead $7.25m

Carl Lawson $15m

Restructuring; 

-Laken Tomlinson. We free up $8m this year and give him more guarantees for next year. Really need him to step up this year; if his contract was cuttable then he’d be gone. 

Extension;

Chris Farley Wow GIF by Bleacher Report
-Quinnen Williams. 5 years $100m. Cap hit $10m

Celebration Bow Down GIF by New York Jets

-Bryce Huff. 3yrs 18m. Cap hit $5m. 

Estimated cap space $66.5m. 

Thoughts; 

• We need to create cap room this offseason and we move on from recent signings. Davis and Lawson have not been good enough to justify their price tag and Whitehead just hasn’t worked out. Brown returning isnt looking likely although I’d be open to him coming back. Berrios is not worth his money after a down year. The big decision comes down to CJ. I’d love to keep him on a team friendly deal but there’s no chance he’s staying on that contract. 
  • We lock up Q moving forward. I’m reluctant to do a big deal at this stage as I’d like to see one more dominant year but I feel this offseason will be easier to get a deal done so would make sense. I just hope he continues to blossom and doesn’t check out after getting paid like big Mo did a few years back. 
  • Bryce has deserved his new deal and becomes much more of a fixture on the d-line. He’s our best pass rusher and needs to be playing more. 

Trades;

Green Bay Packers Mind Blown GIF by Martellus Bennett's Text Back Pack

*Aaron Rodgers ➡️ New York Jets  

*Jets 1st round pick (13) and 2024 4th ➡️ Green Bay Packers. 

• After reworking his deal we can trade for him before June to help facilitate a deal that helps both us and GB. Sure we lose this years first round pick which should be higher than next years but we get the deal done early in the offseason and can build the team around Rodgers. The contract after trade means we are looking at a cap charge for 2024 of $15.8m. This trade makes sense on so many levels. Firstly we get a quality quarterback for a couple of years to give us an opportunity to make a playoff berth and who knows from there. We also give Wilson two years to learn from his idol to hopefully take on the franchise qb role in 2025. This benefits us as we then don’t need to plough more resources into finding and developing another qb. I don’t think Wilson would thrive as a backup to Jimmy G or Carr etc. But Rodgers is someone who would work in this role and they have a great relationship already. 

Updated Cap: $50.7m

Resignings; 

•Nate Herbig. 1yr $2m. Solid depth on the o-line

•Quincy Williams. 2yr $8m. Cap hit $3m. I like Quincy and feel he’s getting better. Needs to continue to improve but brings speed on the defense. 

•Kwon Alexander. 1yr $3m. After cutting CJ bringing back both linebackers is crucial. Kwon started out amazing but tailed off a little bit still a solid and fast player. 

•Sheldon Rankins. 1yr $3.5m. Thought he was okay last year. Doesn’t set the world alight but a solid player next to QW. 

•George Fant. 1yr $3.5m. Down year and his estimated value is around $3-4m. We bring him back to compete with Becton at Lt. 

Updated Cap. $36.7m

Free agency; 

•Allen Lazard. Wide receiver. Big frame receiver who has played 30 games over the last two years so a massive upgrade over Corey Davis. Has the familiarity with Rodgers too. Perfect #2 receiver opposite GW. 3yr $27m Cap hit $7.5m

•Jordan Poyer. Safety. Really good cover safety who may be getting up their with age but is still a rock solid player. I read he was #1 in coverage from the safety position which added with our cb’s will make it very hard to pass on us. Takes him away from Buffalo too. 3yr $33m. Cap hit $9m

•Randall Cobb. Wide receiver. 1yr $2.5m. Rounds out our receiver room and a reliable target for Rodgers. Not expensive and can make plays when needed. Better than Berrios for half the price. 

•Deion Jones. Middle linebacker. 3yr $15m. $4m cap hit. 

Had his injury this year but played every game the previous three years. Not as good as CJ against the run but a much better player in space and coverage. 

•Jimmy Ward. Safety. 2yr 14m. Cap hit $5.5m. 

Solid player who can man one part of the new safety team. Knows Saleh and co well. Seems like a no brainier. Both he and Poyer can rotate and play both safety positions and give us an already elite secondary another good piece. 

•Jon Feliciano. Centre. 2yr $6m. Cap hit $2.5m. Gives us some solid veteran presence and can play when/if needed. From New York too so that’s cool. Been solid for the Giants this past year. 

Thoughts; 

Not a blockbuster style free agency but solid players at positions of need and a familiarity either with previous players or coaches. We have a ton of money in 2024 so I think some bigger moves could be made then. What I would say is the level of contracts and the commitment isn’t long enough to hamstring us in the future. I feel JD loved these types of deals so I expect more of the same this offseason. Not big game hunting but multiple solid deals. 

NFL Draft; 

2(43) Dawand Jones. OT. Ohio State. Huge guy at 6’8 360lbs. Won’t go in the first round due to the fact he can’t play LT but as a plug and play RT he will be ideal for us to compete with Mitchell but I suspect Jones would win the job. 

3(73) John Michael Schmitz. C. Minnesota. Another massive boy up front. 6’4 320lbs is huge for a centre and I think JMS would be able to win the job in camp and start for many years to come. Bit of an older prospect at 24 but not really bothered as centres age well and he should give us a good ten years. 

4(109) Owen Pappoe. Linebacker. Auburn. Unreal athleticism and great in coverage. He is undersized so he’d need to pack on some weight but I think within halfway of the season he would have replaced Kwon at one of then linebacking positions. 

5(140) Dante Stills. DT. West Virginia. I think we need more interior pass rushers after letting some walk in Fa. Stills may need to add weight but has pass rush ability and can come in with 25% of the snaps and give us some juice. 

6(171) Isaiah Land. Pass rusher. Florida A&M. Bit of a wild card this selection. Excellent pass rusher with the stats to back it up. 18 sacks in 2021 and another 7 this past year. Tall at 6’4 but only 230lbs so very much a situational pass rusher until he packs on some weight. Don’t mind taking a boom/bust prospect in the sixth round. 

Depth chart; 

Qb- Rodgers, Wilson

Rb- Breece, Bam, Carter

Wr- Wilson, Smith

Slot- Moore, Cobb

Wr- Lazard, Mims

Lt- Becton, Fant

Lg-Tomlinson, Glaser

C- Jms, Feliciano

Rg- Avt,Herbig

Rt- Jones, Mitchell

Le- Johnson, Clemons

Dt- Williams, Rankins

Dt- Jfm, Stills

Re- Huff, Land

Lb- Williams, Nas

Lb- Jones, Sherwood

Lb- Kwon, Pappoe

Cb- Sauce, Hall

Slot- Carter

Cb- Reed, Echols

S- Ward, Adams

S- Poyer, Davis

Edited by KimuraGod

Initial thought is can we afford all of these new contracts and will this team have that much turnover?

-No way Fant stays

-Hard to see Quincy and Kwon coming back and Mosley gone. Love Deion Jones.  I think only one of our LBs survive

-Love going OT then JMS for OL. If we go heavy on Safety and LB in Free Agency then OT and C should be our targets in the draft. 

-Land would be an amazing flyer to take

This is something the front office will have to decide to save their jobs. Adding veterans and Rodgers will be better for the next year or two for SB runs. As a jets fan always trying to build a strong team through the draft and loving the draft process, and who has seen this type of roster building land us in the gutter, I’m always going to be wary we have one good season then become a laughing stock again. However, I’m not opposed to this and think we do have two strong SB runs with Rodgers. If it saves JDs job and he continues to have strong Day 2s and Day 3s to keep replacing vets, then it could be worth it.  

Not bad or unrealistic. I think Huff gets extended for much more than you think. I'm not a huge Dawand Jones fan, he is simply not agile enough for NFL pass rushers. Huge ≠ good. 

Also don't love Poyer, he is always hurt. Would rather go for someone younger and healthier, but Poyer can play. I see him going to Miami where he lives in the offseason, not NYJ. 

I'd be concerned about our depth up the middle in this mock. I feel like we may actually have gotten worse in the interior (DT/LB) here. That cannot happen this offseason. 

This highlights all the reasons why I don't want to trade for Rodgers, we really do need the draft picks and cap space to fill out the team. 

2 hours ago, KimuraGod said:

Hire:

Nathaniel Hacket. OC. Not my first choice but if it leads to the result at qb I want I’m all for it. Has ties to Saleh and worked with his best mate in GB. Signs pointing this is very close and he’s certainly a finalist for the job. 

Cuts: 

We look to remove some deadwood and get some cap space back so we cut the following; 

Corey Davis- $10.5m

CJ Mosely- $17m (post June cut)

Duane Brown (retire) $11m

Braxton Berrios $5m

Jordan Whitehead $7.25m

Carl Lawson $15m

Restructuring; 

-Laken Tomlinson. We free up $8m this year and give him more guarantees for next year. Really need him to step up this year; if his contract was cuttable then he’d be gone. 

Extension;

Chris Farley Wow GIF by Bleacher Report
-Quinnen Williams. 5 years $100m. Cap hit $10m

Celebration Bow Down GIF by New York Jets

-Bryce Huff. 3yrs 18m. Cap hit $5m. 

Estimated cap space $66.5m. 

Thoughts; 

• We need to create cap room this offseason and we move on from recent signings. Davis and Lawson have not been good enough to justify their price tag and Whitehead just hasn’t worked out. Brown returning isnt looking likely although I’d be open to him coming back. Berrios is not worth his money after a down year. The big decision comes down to CJ. I’d love to keep him on a team friendly deal but there’s no chance he’s staying on that contract. 
  • We lock up Q moving forward. I’m reluctant to do a big deal at this stage as I’d like to see one more dominant year but I feel this offseason will be easier to get a deal done so would make sense. I just hope he continues to blossom and doesn’t check out after getting paid like big Mo did a few years back. 
  • Bryce has deserved his new deal and becomes much more of a fixture on the d-line. He’s our best pass rusher and needs to be playing more. 

Trades;

Green Bay Packers Mind Blown GIF by Martellus Bennett's Text Back Pack

*Aaron Rodgers ➡️ New York Jets  

*Jets 1st round pick (13) and 2024 4th ➡️ Green Bay Packers. 

• After reworking his deal we can trade for him before June to help facilitate a deal that helps both us and GB. Sure we lose this years first round pick which should be higher than next years but we get the deal done early in the offseason and can build the team around Rodgers. The contract after trade means we are looking at a cap charge for 2024 of $15.8m. This trade makes sense on so many levels. Firstly we get a quality quarterback for a couple of years to give us an opportunity to make a playoff berth and who knows from there. We also give Wilson two years to learn from his idol to hopefully take on the franchise qb role in 2025. This benefits us as we then don’t need to plough more resources into finding and developing another qb. I don’t think Wilson would thrive as a backup to Jimmy G or Carr etc. But Rodgers is someone who would work in this role and they have a great relationship already. 

Updated Cap: $50.7m

Resignings; 

•Nate Herbig. 1yr $2m. Solid depth on the o-line

•Quincy Williams. 2yr $8m. Cap hit $3m. I like Quincy and feel he’s getting better. Needs to continue to improve but brings speed on the defense. 

•Kwon Alexander. 1yr $3m. After cutting CJ bringing back both linebackers is crucial. Kwon started out amazing but tailed off a little bit still a solid and fast player. 

•Sheldon Rankins. 1yr $3.5m. Thought he was okay last year. Doesn’t set the world alight but a solid player next to QW. 

•George Fant. 1yr $3.5m. Down year and his estimated value is around $3-4m. We bring him back to compete with Becton at Lt. 

Updated Cap. $36.7m

Free agency; 

•Allen Lazard. Wide receiver. Big frame receiver who has played 30 games over the last two years so a massive upgrade over Corey Davis. Has the familiarity with Rodgers too. Perfect #2 receiver opposite GW. 3yr $27m Cap hit $7.5m

•Jordan Poyer. Safety. Really good cover safety who may be getting up their with age but is still a rock solid player. I read he was #1 in coverage from the safety position which added with our cb’s will make it very hard to pass on us. Takes him away from Buffalo too. 3yr $33m. Cap hit $9m

•Randall Cobb. Wide receiver. 1yr $2.5m. Rounds out our receiver room and a reliable target for Rodgers. Not expensive and can make plays when needed. Better than Berrios for half the price. 

•Deion Jones. Middle linebacker. 3yr $15m. $4m cap hit. 

Had his injury this year but played every game the previous three years. Not as good as CJ against the run but a much better player in space and coverage. 

•Jimmy Ward. Safety. 2yr 14m. Cap hit $5.5m. 

Solid player who can man one part of the new safety team. Knows Saleh and co well. Seems like a no brainier. Both he and Poyer can rotate and play both safety positions and give us an already elite secondary another good piece. 

•Jon Feliciano. Centre. 2yr $6m. Cap hit $2.5m. Gives us some solid veteran presence and can play when/if needed. From New York too so that’s cool. Been solid for the Giants this past year. 

Thoughts; 

Not a blockbuster style free agency but solid players at positions of need and a familiarity either with previous players or coaches. We have a ton of money in 2024 so I think some bigger moves could be made then. What I would say is the level of contracts and the commitment isn’t long enough to hamstring us in the future. I feel JD loved these types of deals so I expect more of the same this offseason. Not big game hunting but multiple solid deals. 

NFL Draft; 

2(43) Dawand Jones. OT. Ohio State. Huge guy at 6’8 360lbs. Won’t go in the first round due to the fact he can’t play LT but as a plug and play RT he will be ideal for us to compete with Mitchell but I suspect Jones would win the job. 

3(73) John Michael Schmitz. C. Minnesota. Another massive boy up front. 6’4 320lbs is huge for a centre and I think JMS would be able to win the job in camp and start for many years to come. Bit of an older prospect at 24 but not really bothered as centres age well and he should give us a good ten years. 

4(109) Owen Pappoe. Linebacker. Auburn. Unreal athleticism and great in coverage. He is undersized so he’d need to pack on some weight but I think within halfway of the season he would have replaced Kwon at one of then linebacking positions. 

5(140) Dante Stills. DT. West Virginia. I think we need more interior pass rushers after letting some walk in Fa. Stills may need to add weight but has pass rush ability and can come in with 25% of the snaps and give us some juice. 

6(171) Isaiah Land. Pass rusher. Florida A&M. Bit of a wild card this selection. Excellent pass rusher with the stats to back it up. 18 sacks in 2021 and another 7 this past year. Tall at 6’4 but only 230lbs so very much a situational pass rusher until he packs on some weight. Don’t mind taking a boom/bust prospect in the sixth round. 

Depth chart; 

Qb- Rodgers, Wilson

Rb- Breece, Bam, Carter

Wr- Wilson, Smith

Slot- Moore, Cobb

Wr- Lazard, Mims

Lt- Becton, Fant

Lg-Tomlinson, Glaser

C- Jms, Feliciano

Rg- Avt,Herbig

Rt- Jones, Mitchell

Le- Johnson, Clemons

Dt- Williams, Rankins

Dt- Jfm, Stills

Re- Huff, Land

Lb- Williams, Nas

Lb- Jones, Sherwood

Lb- Kwon, Pappoe

Cb- Sauce, Hall

Slot- Carter

Cb- Reed, Echols

S- Ward, Adams

S- Poyer, Davis

As a Mock, its not bad. Schmitt is gone in round 2 so there's that. RB is not a position I would pass on as BH becomes a question mark. It took SB 2 years to get back to being good after having the same injury as B.H.

The OT position is deep this year and we could still pick one up in round 3, but I like C in round 2.

Not sure about the AR stuff, sounds like a whole lot of posturing to me. If I believe that Carr is the more realistic move, Rodgers is already talking restructuring in order to remain in GB.

Getting Carr shouldn't cost anything, not even draft choices. I believe Carr is underrated because of where he played and the talent level around him, and that would include the coaches and gm's. 

Carr would wind up with a much better receiving corps and just as dynamic RB in BH, combine that with a team in the top 5 on D it is a win scenario for any QB or OC. 

Rodgers could be a bridge for say 3 years on a new 150 mil contract and be an influencer for Zach. Carr on the other hand could play another 10 years if he can take the next step.

5 minutes ago, Big T said:

Carr would wind up with a much better receiving corps and just as dynamic RB in BH, combine that with a team in the top 5 on D it is a win scenario for any QB or OC. 

It's not going to get much better than Davante/Waller/Jacobs... I think you're wildly missing the mark on your Carr assessment tbh. 

Carr playing another 10 years if he takes the next step? He's already 31, there is no next step. Carr won't cost us anything? This isn't Madden where you can edit his position to Punter and acquire him for peanuts. There's going to be a bidding war for his services, and I definitely do not see A-Rod staying in Green Bay. Where there's smoke, there's fire.

I’m terms of affording the guys in FA. It’s absolutely doable as we have an abundance of cap in 2024 so although all the contracts aren’t back loaded they can be graduated to fit the books. 

The Rodgers trade is interesting as I wouldn’t want to give up 2x1st rounders as I think that’s too much. However #13 and a mid pick in 2024 seems more fair on both sides. 

8 minutes ago, Big T said:

As a Mock, its not bad. Schmitt is gone in round 2 so there's that. RB is not a position I would pass on as BH becomes a question mark. It took SB 2 years to get back to being good after having the same injury as B.H.

The OT position is deep this year and we could still pick one up in round 3, but I like C in round 2.

Not sure about the AR stuff, sounds like a whole lot of posturing to me. If I believe that Carr is the more realistic move, Rodgers is already talking restructuring in order to remain in GB.

Getting Carr shouldn't cost anything, not even draft choices. I believe Carr is underrated because of where he played and the talent level around him, and that would include the coaches and gm's. 

Rodgers could be a bridge for say 3 years on a new 150 mil contract and be an influencer for Zach. Carr on the other hand could play another 10 years if he can take the next step.

I thought we made the rule a few years ago to ban people who said stuff like this. Nobody knows where people will be drafted in January. Round 2/3 how the hell do we know. All we can go off is the scouting reports currently. 

As for Carr…..I’m not dead set against it but I don’t think the cost of his contract plus the picks it would take is worth it. There’s enough desperate teams out there to overpay for Carr I hope we aren’t one. If he does become a FA though I’d be more open to it. 

controlling-laugh-laughing.gif

I am looking forward to your volume #2.

Brown's retirement will not erase dead money at all.

Rodgers' potential restructure doesn't help Packers at all because you can't adjust dead money.

Lazard doesn't merit number #2 by standard.  He is good at conversions for 1st down and blocking.  That screams #3.  We need to find an actual one.

1 hour ago, jetjuice said:

This highlights all the reasons why I don't want to trade for Rodgers, we really do need the draft picks and cap space to fill out the team. 

Carr & Jimmy G would cost upwards of $30m and the bridge qbs would be similar to Rodgers cap hit. 

So what qb are we getting that’s not going to cost us high draft picks or big money? 

5 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

Carr & Jimmy G would cost upwards of $30m and the bridge qbs would be similar to Rodgers cap hit. 

So what qb are we getting that’s not going to cost us high draft picks or big money? 

Anyone who pays Jimmy G or Carr upwards of $30m deserves to be fired. 

Baker, Jameis, or a rookie. I've been on team draft pick since day 0. 

2 hours ago, jetjuice said:

Anyone who pays Jimmy G or Carr upwards of $30m deserves to be fired. 

Baker, Jameis, or a rookie. I've been on team draft pick since day 0. 

For the money, Jameis is a bargain. He'd literally set all our passing records for quarter of the money and fans would still complain lol. I just dont want to draft a high QB THIS YEAR. Next year is different. Take a day 3 guy to develop this year.

• Like 1

Johnson to his credit wants an experienced QB, i.e. someone who can take this team at the least to the playoffs. He recognizes that he the Jets possess one of the better D's in football. 

Johnson is not going to settle for Mayfield, or Brisett, or any other backup as an alternative. If that were the case then just resign White. But White is not the answer either and who knows if Zach will ever regain his confidence even with all the talent in the world, and guys like A.R. still believing in him.

Carr is a viable alternative with the O we currently have, Jimmy G is another alternative but has a history of being injured and as for A.R. I wouldn't put much into the hiring of Hacket as a dot to connect to Rodgers.

As for the draft, all we have is speculation. We all know what our outstanding needs are. So REALLY until we know who's under center, then I think we can live our mock dream hopes.

• 5 weeks later...
On 1/26/2023 at 9:53 AM, Big T said:

After looking at the players available in round 1, outside of OT which is a need for us, no OT is a top 10 talent or a talent that we could get in round 2. 

We have a need, and a need that we agree could be met as well in the later rounds. But a top 10 talent, and perhaps a top 5 talent?

The Jets should restrain from drafting an OL in round 1 and draft one of the top talents if he falls to the Jets.

The Jets first round selection should be S Branch. Without a doubt a top 5 pick who could fall out of the top 10. 

Branch, Sauce, and DJ Reed would catapult the backend of the Jets into the elite stratosphere, the OT position easily could be addressed in round 2 JMS has played 3 different positions and would be an absolute steal in round 2.

No way I want to give up a first round plus for 1 year of Aaron Rogers @ $50+, i'd much rather Carr/ Jimmy g/ Wentz for less $$$ and no draft compensation.

I don't think  Dawand Jones will be there for our 2nd round pick and John Michael Schmitz will defiantly be gone by the third.  

If you change trading for Rogers and sign another QB, we draft a better LT in the first round, Schmitz(best C prospect this year) in the second and have a third to help depth at another position.