Report - Irsay and Front Office at Odds Over HC

goldfishwars

43 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

If you're Ballard, I have to imagine this is the exact kind of thing you'd quit your job over.

It's not the act of hiring the HC out from under you, every HC hire should be a group consensus. It's the way he went about it. Irsay's not even willing to go through the motions and attend interviews, he just wants to hire his buddy.

There's a difference between having a decision overturned by your boss and being completely invalidated by your boss. This is the latter. Worthy hill to die on IMO.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

It's not the act of hiring the HC out from under you, every HC hire should be a group consensus. It's the way he went about it. Irsay's not even willing to go through the motions and attend interviews, he just wants to hire his buddy.

There's a difference between having a decision overturned by your boss and being completely invalidated by your boss. This is the latter. Worthy hill to die on IMO.

There's also the perception issue. When that hire eventually, inevitably, goes to hell and you lose your job, you'll have to dedicate time in every interview you ever have after that explaining the Jeff Saturday situation. No amounts of "I didn't want that, it wasn't my decision, I was against it" will prevent you from being both asked about it in interviews and being associated with it.

It's kind of crazy, but I think you really do have to think about getting out ahead of the Saturday stank, if it comes to that.

• Like 2

Just now, minutemancl said:

There's also the perception issue. When that hire eventually, inevitably, goes to hell and you lose your job, you'll have to dedicate time in every interview you ever have after that explaining the Jeff Saturday situation. No amounts of "I didn't want that, it wasn't my decision, I was against it" will prevent you from being both asked about it in interviews and being associated with it.

It's kind of crazy, but I think you really do have to think about getting out ahead of the Saturday stank, if it comes to that.

Oh 100%, he'd be in a position where he'd have to throw the Colts under the bus in an interview and that's immediately a losing position.

On the flip side of it, there's something to be said for having a public reputation of a middle manager who won't tolerate BS like this. If I'm a good owner, and Ballard quits, I'm absolutely more interested than I would have been beforehand. No good owner wants a sycophant at GM, and that's what Irsay is signing himself up for.

• Like 3