Report - Irsay and Front Office at Odds Over HC

goldfishwars

1 hour ago, minutemancl said:

If you're Ballard, I have to imagine this is the exact kind of thing you'd quit your job over.

It’s just funny because he said he wouldn’t leave the Chiefs unless he could get all the power. The thing is, you always have to answer to an owner, you never have all the power. Closest you’ll get is 49% voting power if you’re lucky. 

47 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

There's also the perception issue. When that hire eventually, inevitably, goes to hell and you lose your job, you'll have to dedicate time in every interview you ever have after that explaining the Jeff Saturday situation. No amounts of "I didn't want that, it wasn't my decision, I was against it" will prevent you from being both asked about it in interviews and being associated with it.

It's kind of crazy, but I think you really do have to think about getting out ahead of the Saturday stank, if it comes to that.

You could make an interview game about how many different ways or variations you say "Jim was very high on Coach Saturday" or "Yeah, Jeff did a great job as our interim HC, which Jim really thought was needed in the middle of the 2022 season", or "Jim was optimistic that the momentum at the end of 2022 would carry on to 2023 and beyond..."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:
8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

No, they need to trade up to 1.1 for Will Levis. Let’s just get him off the board before the Texans are on the clock.

Will Levis feels like he's been a colt for like 3 months now 

The Colts trading a dump truck full of picks to select Levis would be the 2nd best thing to happen in division (next to Trevor Lawrence and Derrick Henry both retiring to open up a hair care product business…)

…and before ANY of you bastards try to wish ill on me and the Texans, remember that I had Jack Easterby running the Texans for the entirety of the pandemic, so there’s nothing you can say that will harm me.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If you're the GM of the Colts, you knew what you signed up for with a meddling owner. But I'd be furious.

I feel like Irsay used to be OK? He has his personal issues, but i don't recall hearing too much about meddling with the football operations until the end of the 2021 season when they lost to the Jags. Since then it seems like he's been meddling non-stop

1 minute ago, 49ersfan said:

I feel like Irsay used to be OK? He has his personal issues, but i don't recall hearing too much about meddling with the football operations until the end of the 2021 season when they lost to the Jags. Since then it seems like he's been meddling non-stop

What he did to Andrew Luck's retirement is one of the all time petty moves. I don't know if he's been steadily going more Jurrah, but yeah he's got priors.

• Like 2

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

What he did to Andrew Luck's retirement is one of the all time petty moves. I don't know if he's been steadily going more Jurrah, but yeah he's got priors.

Ah ok, I wasn't aware of anything before, but I wasn't really paying attention either 

6 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:
1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

If you're the GM of the Colts, you knew what you signed up for with a meddling owner. But I'd be furious.

I feel he’s overcorrecting and trying to get back to where he was right before Andrew Luck retired.

Prior to Luck’s retirement - the Colts we’re hitting on picks, had an elite QB on a second contract and still had $100mm in cap space to build a contender. There was a lot to like about the Colts at that time, and he’s been trying to recapture that standing in a single offseason. Once Luck retired, he went ballistic.

He finally seems content to press a soft reset and find a QB to grow with younger components in Michael Pittman Jr and Jonathan Taylor vs trying to plug a guy in who can sprint to the playoffs.

• Like 1

Just now, 49ersfan said:

Ah ok, I wasn't aware of anything before, but I wasn't really paying attention either 

For Luck's retirement, it was Irsay who leaked it during the game. Luck told him and a few members of the staff that he couldn't do it anymore, and the reports that came out in the 3rd quarter lead to the boos. This is after Irsay went on record previously saying Luck's injuries were "in his head".

He was pissed that his franchise QB wasn't going to spend another decade playing and took it out on him. **** Jim Irsay.

• Like 2