Report - Irsay and Front Office at Odds Over HC

goldfishwars

7 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

For Luck's retirement, it was Irsay who leaked it during the game. Luck told him and a few members of the staff that he couldn't do it anymore, and the reports that came out in the 3rd quarter lead to the boos. This is after Irsay went on record previously saying Luck's injuries were "in his head".

He was pissed that his franchise QB wasn't going to spend another decade playing and took it out on him. **** Jim Irsay.

Oh wow I never heard this. Makes even more sense now.

7 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

I feel like Irsay used to be OK? He has his personal issues, but i don't recall hearing too much about meddling with the football operations until the end of the 2021 season when they lost to the Jags. Since then it seems like he's been meddling non-stop

If this is true then it's hilarious because he (Irsay) did exactly what he was supposed to staying out. He gave Ballard and Reich years to build the lines and make the team competitive. Signed off on Rivers, didn't work out. Was reluctant about Wentz until Reich sold him and saw his worst fears play out. Was promised stability with Ryan and he petrified in real-time. The past 3 years of Colts football was a lab-created scenario to get even a sane owner to jump in. Hell I would too if I were him

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Calamity_Cometh said:

Oh wow I never heard this. Makes even more sense now.

You kinda had to put the pieces together, I guess no journalist wanted to go that far out of their way to burn an owner when Colts fans were mad at Luck anyway. Schefter had a long history of Irsay-sourced stories, and Luck mentions everyone else in his retirement who would have known being supportive:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/35163936/andrew-luck-reveals-why-walked-away-nfl

Nicole was willing to cater to Andrew, to do whatever it took for him to realize his goals as a quarterback. But he was done. Luck told his family and close friends. Wilson advised him to sleep on it. When they spoke two days later, Luck was resolute. Ballard tried to appeal to Luck's competitive fire, but it was gone. Reich implored him to not rush a big decision, but Luck didn't think it had been rushed. When Wilson met with Ballard to finalize the paperwork, both men cried. Luck savored his final days in pro football. He played catch with Doyle on the field before his next-to-last preseason game, putting his arm around him as they entered the tunnel. That weekend, Luck threw a birthday party for Nicole at a downtown Indianapolis restaurant called Bluebeard. He got chatty and told almost everyone in attendance, hoping they could keep a secret for a few days.

A week later on Saturday night in a preseason game against the Chicago Bears at Lucas Oil Stadium, Luck was on the sideline in street clothes. The secret plan was to announce his retirement the next afternoon. In the fourth quarter, Luck felt the mood in the building shift. The crowd was still lingering. There was a strange fervor. Cameras had turned toward him. Colts media relations executive Matt Conti came over holding his phone, with word that ESPN's Adam Schefter had broken the news.

"Well, it's out," Luck told Doyle and Castanzo.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99
  • Like 3

Jeff Saturday as perma head coach lol

2 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

Imagine having an alcoholic owner. Sorry Colts fans…yes, I’m happy that your franchise is in shambles as a Jags fan, but I do feel for you. 

Sorry this is off topic but did you team switch or am I tripping? I remember you as one of the other longtime Saints fans on the forum.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spartica4Real said:

Jeff Saturday as perma head coach lol

Sorry this is off topic but did you team switch or am I tripping? I remember you as one of the other longtime Saints fans on the forum.

Lol. I’m a long time Saints fan. But I live in Jacksonville, so they’ve been my second team since they came into existence. It’s pretty rare that both teams are good so far there haven’t been many conflicts

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

You could make an interview game about how many different ways or variations you say "Jim was very high on Coach Saturday" or "Yeah, Jeff did a great job as our interim HC, which Jim really thought was needed in the middle of the 2022 season", or "Jim was optimistic that the momentum at the end of 2022 would carry on to 2023 and beyond..."

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

For Luck's retirement, it was Irsay who leaked it during the game. Luck told him and a few members of the staff that he couldn't do it anymore, and the reports that came out in the 3rd quarter lead to the boos. This is after Irsay went on record previously saying Luck's injuries were "in his head".

He was pissed that his franchise QB wasn't going to spend another decade playing and took it out on him. **** Jim Irsay.

That last sentence...

Keeping Up With The Kardashians Yes GIF by E!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You kinda had to put the pieces together, I guess no journalist wanted to go that far out of their way to burn an owner when Colts fans were mad at Luck anyway. Schefter had a long history of Irsay-sourced stories, and Luck mentions everyone else in his retirement who would have known being supportive:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/insider/story/_/id/35163936/andrew-luck-reveals-why-walked-away-nfl

Why did they wait so long to make the announcement?