Jets Hire Nathaniel Hackett as OC

Abe56

6 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I think we are a QB away if that QB is Rodgers. Just by us getting Hackett yesterday Vegas changed their odds for us for the SB champs next year to 9th in the NFL. We add Rodgers and we’re guaranteed a top 5 team. We’re also a team built to win in the playoffs if we can stay healthy (something every team has to deal with). Great defense. Great run game. And throw in Rodgers and some talented weapons like we have. We certainly are a SB contender. 

Yeah we would be in the discussion but like a few others have pointed out…..if we went in this direction then we really need to go all the way with it. 

Jd should continue to use the middle and later rounds to find talent like he’s done so I don’t anticipate us being set back years if it does all blow up in our face either. 

5 hours ago, xrade said:

Let assume we make the playoffs this season and Rodgers decides to hang it up in 2024.  Do you think Zach would have changed enough to be the QB to lead us back to the playoffs?  Do you think 2024 FA's are going to say "the Jets made the playoffs, I want to play there even without a QB"?

If you answered yes to either one I ask if that is just wishful thinking?  This whole thing is just Favre all over again and no matter how badly we want it to end differently, chances are it won't.  Until this team can develop a young QB, we will always be talking about it.  One year of Rodgers does nothing to change any of this unless Zach miraculously learns how to play football.

So firstly you’re looking at the glass half empty. Why would he retire and leave all that money on the table? Can’t think he would. 

Secondly Zach wasn’t some mid round pick he was the #2 overall pick so 12 months with Rodgers should be amazing for him to learn…24 months and he should be ‘the guy’ to lead us come 2025. If he’s not then nothing wrong in picking up someone next year to groom behind Rodgers. 

Thirdly…Favre has us flying deep into the season and if not for a bad injury we would have been certainly a playoff team and possible SB favourites. That team was so good it was unfortunate it ended the way it did. Furthermore Favre took Minnesota to a play away from the SB the following year so I’d take that two years of production any day. Plus Rodgers is better than Favre at this stage of the ‘proposed’ trade anyway. 

Can we please stop with the Zach bashing….‘learn how to play football’ the guys been playing all his life and admittedly bombed so far but let’s hypothetically see what would happen learning from his idol would do for his game. 

I have said before that confidence is a massive difference at this level of sports. Let’s see what happens if Zach is full of confidence and enjoying his football again. 

Edited by KimuraGod
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

So firstly you’re looking at the glass half empty. Why would he retire and leave all that money on the table? Can’t think he would. 

Secondly Zach wasn’t some mid round pick he was the #2 overall pick so 12 months with Rodgers should be amazing for him to learn…24 months and he should be ‘the guy’ to lead us come 2025. If he’s not then nothing wrong in picking up someone next year to groom behind Rodgers. 

Thirdly…Favre has us flying deep into the season and if not for a bad injury we would have been certainly a playoff team and possible SB favourites. That team was so good it was unfortunate it ended the way it did. Furthermore Favre took Minnesota to a play away from the SB the following year so I’d take that two years of production any day. Plus Rodgers is better than Favre at this stage of the ‘proposed’ trade anyway. 

Can we please stop with the Zach bashing….‘learn how to play football’ the guys been playing all his life and admittedly bombed so far but let’s hypothetically see what would happen learning from his idol would do for his game. 

I have said before that confidence is a massive difference at this level of sports. Let’s see what happens if Zach is full of confidence and enjoying his football again. 

Oh brother!   Those new money isn't some base salary he needs to be there to pick up.

I think people also need to realize Rodgers likes screwing with the media.

I do think this last year did frustrate him. But I don’t think he’s done at all playing ball. I think he plays 2-3 more years. Now make no question he will make sure if he leaves GB it’s a good situation. And I believe we have a lot to sell him for a 2-3 year window.

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think people also need to realize Rodgers likes screwing with the media.

I do think this last year did frustrate him. But I don’t think he’s done at all playing ball. I think he plays 2-3 more years. Now make no question he will make sure if he leaves GB it’s a good situation. And I believe we have a lot to sell him for a 2-3 year window.

If he can give us 2 years, I'll be more excited.  I don't want to trade for him and watch him play retirement games with us and the media next offseason 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

If he can give us 2 years, I'll be more excited.  I don't want to trade for him and watch him play retirement games with us and the media next offseason 

Well we won’t know that at the time of the trade. Best thing we can do is cover ourselves with a conditional pick if he doesn’t stay beyond this year if we make the trade. 

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps as a Jets fan, and the hiring of Hackett somehow gives you the illusion of AR coming to the Jets. Welllllll, it could be your right.

If it is true that the Jets will eventually land AR (I have my doubts) how do you think that will effect the rest of the cap space in signing FA'?

Is it possible we have to Franchise Q? Will we be able to sign some FA's? Will we have to cut guy's to save on cap space then pick up players who were UDFA and hope we hit on some?

AR for all the positives and potential also brings with him and his contract, unless he agrees to a multiyear deal a boatload of other unforeseen problems.

So while AR is very desirable as a Jet fan, perhaps the idea of Carr and a more team friendly deal, keeping our draft choice or heaven forbid Jimmy G. The Jets would still have a window to keep some if not all of their team intact.

Carr gives the Jets a shot at the SB, AR a better shot, but a 1 year solution is no solution at all.

41 minutes ago, Big T said:

Perhaps as a Jets fan, and the hiring of Hackett somehow gives you the illusion of AR coming to the Jets. Welllllll, it could be your right.

If it is true that the Jets will eventually land AR (I have my doubts) how do you think that will effect the rest of the cap space in signing FA'?

Is it possible we have to Franchise Q? Will we be able to sign some FA's? Will we have to cut guy's to save on cap space then pick up players who were UDFA and hope we hit on some?

AR for all the positives and potential also brings with him and his contract, unless he agrees to a multiyear deal a boatload of other unforeseen problems.

So while AR is very desirable as a Jet fan, perhaps the idea of Carr and a more team friendly deal, keeping our draft choice or heaven forbid Jimmy G. The Jets would still have a window to keep some if not all of their team intact.

Carr gives the Jets a shot at the SB, AR a better shot, but a 1 year solution is no solution at all.

Q is under contract this year bc we picked up his 5th year option. Actually if we give him a long term deal... we likely pay him less this year and make more of his money toward the end of his deal (bc the cap rises each year). So signing Q long term likely saves us cap. But keep in mind we don't HAVE TO pay Q this offseason. He's under our control for 2023.

The issue with AR are that if he only plays 2 years (let's say) we still have to pay him for 2 more years with a very big cap hit those years. Now is that God awful? Well not exactly. Lets say we draft a QB this draft or the next to develop and that guy is grooming behind Rodgers and looks good in practice and all. When Rodgers (in the situation) retires after 2024 season. We don't have any QB that commands a big contract for 2-3 more years. So it shouldn't be "that big of a deal" for us by then.

Want to know how fake cap can be? NO is 60+mill over the cap right now and have Carr visiting today who is due over 30mill. They'd be roughly 100mill over the cap if the trade for him. But will make things work somehow.

So for us as fans to get caught up in money and cap is kind of a waste of time. Teams always seem to make it work.