Jets Hire Nathaniel Hackett as OC

Abe56

Here is a few points I would like to point out about Hackett when he was with Denver.

I don't think Hackett had any power as the HC.

Sean Payton turned the Denver job down because he said "he feared there would be a power struggle in Denver." I think the new owners want a lot of power in the saying what goes on.

Russell Wilson was given everything from his own office, own parking SPOTS and other perks. I think Hackett had 0 chance to do anything there. 

Now with that said I think Hackett wants to prove what he can do when he has control of the O. 

Also Zach Wilson is a huge fan of Aaron Rodgers and they have been talking a lot for weeks now. I think this is all set up. The move is coming and it WILL NOT COST 2 FIRST ROUND PICKS. The packers threw that out there to see who would look at it. The only team really looking is the Jets in my book. I don't see more than a first round pick for Rodgers. Yes I would give up a first round to be in the mix for Super Bowl for 2 years and have Wilson learn from his hero. This is the only chance they have to cut corners and save years on a rebuild with a rookie QB. Carr is not coming here so you can cross that one off. I would love to have Tom Brady but he is going to the Raiders. 

20 hours ago, Abe56 said:

Next step will be acquiring Rodgers

While I think its a quality hire, don't get your hopes up on Rodgers. There are many obstacles which have to be overcome, money and compensation to G.B. for such a trade. A.R. is not giving up 150 million to retire. So I think we can agree that retirement is out of the question. 

Yes the Jets are able to afford him but the dead money G.B. has to eat if he's traded, a major stumbling stone. Would the Jets send draft picks for Rodgers, absolutely.

Rodgers would make the Jets instant playoff contenders and possible S.B. participants especially with the D they have. But realistically there are more questions than there are answers. 

Becton is a question mark, as is B.H., there are guys to be cut or traded, there are dozens of unanswered questions which have yet to be discussed. 

So while Hacket is a good move, everything else is up in the air concerning where this team goes from here. 

I believe in J.D. especially with the drafting of players. No G.M. is perfect but J.D. has done well. I haven't seen him lose on trades.

30 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Woof they just rattled off his rankings every season as an OC and it’s awful. This move reeks of desperation and solely trying to get Rodgers. Unless they know they have a deal on the table this is a terrible way to run the franchise. 

I'm not a big Hackett fan and never have been, but I do think context is important in these discussions of offensive ranks. Beloved Brian Daboll had multiple stints as an NFL OC before Buffalo and had some pretty bad offenses. Near last in the league with the browns, below average with Miami, and really poor in one year with KC and then the whole coaching staff got fired.

24 minutes ago, Big T said:

While I think its a quality hire, don't get your hopes up on Rodgers. There are many obstacles which have to be overcome, money and compensation to G.B. for such a trade. A.R. is not giving up 150 million to retire. So I think we can agree that retirement is out of the question. 

Yes the Jets are able to afford him but the dead money G.B. has to eat if he's traded, a major stumbling stone. Would the Jets send draft picks for Rodgers, absolutely.

Rodgers would make the Jets instant playoff contenders and possible S.B. participants especially with the D they have. But realistically there are more questions than there are answers. 

Becton is a question mark, as is B.H., there are guys to be cut or traded, there are dozens of unanswered questions which have yet to be discussed. 

So while Hacket is a good move, everything else is up in the air concerning where this team goes from here. 

I believe in J.D. especially with the drafting of players. No G.M. is perfect but J.D. has done well. I haven't seen him lose on trades.

You got that right. JD is probably the best GM the Jets have ever had. This is why I'm all most 100% that Rodgers comes here to the Jets. I think there is a ton of behind close doors that goes on in the NFL that NONE of us know about including the media. I think they already have a deal in place and things are all set up. Rodgers is not going to retire like you said. That is WAY to much money to walk away from. Then you add the fact he will pick up a ton more money just being in New York too. I think JD and Saleh have a very good feel that Becton will be the LT and I even saw an article saying that Mitchell is doing great things and looks ready to come back. Now you have your two tackles and a G in AVT. That means you only have 2 holes left and you already have guys that can give you averge play for them. This move had to be done. The Jets make a run and win the Super Bowl Rodgers gets done and Hackett gets his shot at another HC job. 

41 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Woof they just rattled off his rankings every season as an OC and it’s awful. This move reeks of desperation and solely trying to get Rodgers. Unless they know they have a deal on the table this is a terrible way to run the franchise. 

On those other teams he never had a good QB. Point being if he’s brought in to be our OC for an average QB and Wilson. It’s an awful hire.

If he got hired and we bring in Rodgers. He’s a good hire.

For me it now 100% rides on that. 

Just now, Bobby816 said:

On those other teams he never had a good QB. Point being if he’s brought in to be our OC for an average QB and Wilson. It’s an awful hire.

If he got hired and we bring in Rodgers. He’s a good hire.

For me it now 100% rides on that. 

I'm willing to give guys a chance to show they've learned over the years and can collaborate with their fellow coaches. Plenty of examples of guys that get better in coaching as their careers go on.

I definitely don't love the hire, though. Obviously getting Rodgers would make the hire more exciting but wouldn't that be true of anyone we hired?

13 minutes ago, Sandwhich2 said:

I'm willing to give guys a chance to show they've learned over the years and can collaborate with their fellow coaches. Plenty of examples of guys that get better in coaching as their careers go on.

I definitely don't love the hire, though. Obviously getting Rodgers would make the hire more exciting but wouldn't that be true of anyone we hired?

Quite frankly any OC we hired was pissing into the wind unless w got a QB. In my eyes Wilson shouldn’t see the field and we have no other QB under contract besides him.

9 hours ago, doumeyer said:

MAN YOU LIVE IN A DREAM WORLD, If Wilson wasn't the second overall pick in the draft   he would be long gone by now. THE ONLY REASON HE   IS STILL ON THE TEAM IS BECAUSE THE JETS WOULD LOOK LIKE FOOLS IF THE CUT HIM NOW AFTER SPENDING A YEAR & A HALF HYPEING HIM UP.

Why are you yelling at me is the question?

This team won 2 games without him at QB and one was because Nick Chubb didn’t go down and we had to…man you know what happened.

No one is saying he played good, all I’m saying is he didn’t single handedly do anything to jeopardize the team. He did play a role. If you can’t see that then you don’t wanna see it.

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Of course it’s a terrible way to run a franchise. But when you have people saying we’re a QB away, we aren’t, it’s going to lead to nonsense.

There’s nothing wrong with expecting good results but you have to do the work and be realistic about where you are as a team. 

If hiring Hackett is only a good move because Rodgers might be his QB then it’s an awful move because Rodgers won’t save him. 

So we need improvements from Saleh, Hackett, Ulbrich and Boyer since all 4 showed last year there are noticeable flaws in their approaches. We lost games last year in all 3 phases. Hackett lost his job because he couldn’t get his offense going. Now Rodgers, who was poor by his standards last year you’re hoping reverts back to MVP level or close. 

But this is what going all in looks like. Let’s hope it works out.

• Like 1

We are certainly not a qb away but having a top 10 qb will do wonders for this team and the supporting cast around. 

Also gives us an ideal opportunity to give Zach the time needed to reset and work with his idol and one of the best qbs of the last 30 years. 

As long as we don’t trade away multiple firsts I can’t see the move being negative. 

2 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

We are certainly not a qb away but having a top 10 qb will do wonders for this team and the supporting cast around. 

Also gives us an ideal opportunity to give Zach the time needed to reset and work with his idol and one of the best qbs of the last 30 years. 

As long as we don’t trade away multiple firsts I can’t see the move being negative. 

Impressive that you ignore salary cap situation and his potential retirement plan.

7 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

I think we are a QB away if that QB is Rodgers. Just by us getting Hackett yesterday Vegas changed their odds for us for the SB champs next year to 9th in the NFL. We add Rodgers and we’re guaranteed a top 5 team. We’re also a team built to win in the playoffs if we can stay healthy (something every team has to deal with). Great defense. Great run game. And throw in Rodgers and some talented weapons like we have. We certainly are a SB contender. 

• Like 1

The following stats are the league offensive rankings for the first 5 years of Brian Daboll's career as an OC. The last 2 years on the list were his first 2 in Buffalo with Josh Allen. 

PTS.  YDS.  PYDS.  PTDS.  RYDS. RTDS. Y/A

29       32      32        31         8         20      15

20       22      23        18         11        19       15

32       24      32        32         5        25        6

30       30      31         32        9        11        21

23       24      26         24        8        18       14

PTS- overall points

YDS- overall yards

PYDS- passing yards

PTDS- passing tds

RYDS- rushing yards 

RTDS- rushing tds