Jets Hire Nathaniel Hackett as OC

Abe56

Surprise no one responded to me saying that there has to be something to Hackett even coaching this year. I think I’m some kind of way we know we’re getting Rodgers.

He was guaranteed 4.4mill each year the next 3 years if he didn’t coach. He accepts any coaching job and he doesn’t get that. You can bet he’s not getting close to that as an OC for us. So why would a guy take this job unless they 100% knew something with Rodgers?

Thats what makes this scenario different than the DEN one. He thought he’d lure Rodgers there. But at the end of the day he was getting a huge pay day and a HC opportunity. So it was a win for him. By taking this job he’s likely taking a 50% pay cut to staying home and collecting 4.4mill this year.

There’s something he knows.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Surprise no one responded to me saying that there has to be something to Hackett even coaching this year. I think I’m some kind of way we know we’re getting Rodgers.

He was guaranteed 4.4mill each year the next 3 years if he didn’t coach. He accepts any coaching job and he doesn’t get that. You can bet he’s not getting close to that as an OC for us. So why would a guy take this job unless they 100% knew something with Rodgers?

Thats what makes this scenario different than the DEN one. He thought he’d lure Rodgers there. But at the end of the day he was getting a huge pay day and a HC opportunity. So it was a win for him. By taking this job he’s likely taking a 50% pay cut to staying home and collecting 4.4mill this year.

Doesn't it occur you that he wants to work?

Edit.. I reread your last paragraph.  It is incorrect.   He is guaranteed to get 4.4m or whatever it is in TOTAL.    Whatever Jets pay him, Broncos pay him the rest.

Edited by JetsandI
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Why are you yelling at me is the question?

This team won 2 games without him at QB and one was because Nick Chubb didn’t go down and we had to…man you know what happened.

No one is saying he played good, all I’m saying is he didn’t single handedly do anything to jeopardize the team. He did play a role. If you can’t see that then you don’t wanna see it.

This guy yells at everyone... lol.

I think he's an old geezer who can't hear himself talk. But this is the internet soo...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think we definitely are at this point, there's way too much smoke surrounding this. 

I'm actully starting to warm up to the idea... initially I thought it was going to cost us an arm and a leg but now I think it's going to be for a lot less than what LAR got for Stafford. 

Cap hit isn't as bad as I thought and I don't think JD will let himself get swindled for a 39 year-old QB. It may cost us a FRP this year but I can live with that.

The understated aspect of this is the fact that this may be the one and only way to salvage Zach Wilson's career. This would be the reset he needs learning under his idol.

Edited by jetjuice

11 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Doesn't it occur you that he wants to work?

Edit.. I reread your last paragraph.  It is incorrect.   He is guaranteed to get 4.4m or whatever it is in TOTAL.    Whatever Jets pay him, Broncos pay him the rest.

I look at this way. Let’s say you’re making 150k a year but are guaranteed that salary if you stayed at home for 3 more years. Are you accepting a job at 75k or less to negate the 150k the next 3 years you’re guaranteed.

Only way you’d do that if there was something hugely in it for you or you knew something about that new company.

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I look at this way. Let’s say you’re making 150k a year but are guaranteed that salary if you stayed at home for 3 more years. Are you accepting a job at 75k or less to negate the 150k the next 3 years you’re guaranteed.

Only way you’d do that if there was something hugely in it for you or you knew something about that new company.

no job for 3 years = 150k each from old company.

new job for 75k = 75k from new company + 75k from old company = 150k in total.

• Like 1

Not sure what to think of Hackett. His production as an OC (good/bad) is insubstantial IMO to draw any sort of conclusion, given who he's had at QB. YPG rankings as a play caller:

• 2013: 19th (Manuel)
  • 2014: 26th (Orton)
  • 2016-2018: 11th, 2nd, 22nd (Bortles)
  • 2022: 21st (Russ)

Nothing on the surface that would make me think the OC failed. That 2017 Jax team jumps out in a big way, then you compare it to DVOA (15th) and it makes more sense - still impressive, but clearly inflated.  

He won't get any credit for his work in GB, but I think it's notable that Rodgers was playing his best football then. Hackett didn't call the plays, but was supposedly instrumental in developing the offensive design, and Rodgers obviously speaks very highly of the guy. 

Couple takeaways so far.. the good: 

• Some variation of the West Coast scheme means continuity (love that our young talent won't be forced to learn an entirely new offense)
  • Buff/Jax had the 2nd/1st ranked rushing offensive in '13 & '17 under Hackett - we're a playoff team, as is, with an effective run-game. Even without a QB, Hackett has no excuse if he can't build an offensive strategy around Breece and an improved OL
  • Track record for establishing good player relationships, which will be a refreshing change of pace from MLF

The bad:

• Seem to really struggle as a player caller last season - hate reading that he had issues getting a play called on a regular basis. Lack of decisiveness/confidence, not sure, but a huge red flag IMO
  • Broncos fans roasted him for under utilizing or incorrectly utilizing their talent. Sound familiar? Jeudy got off to a really slow start, Javonte Williams wasn't used in a feature role
  • He was clearly in over his head as a HC, but just from what I've read may even be better suited as a senior advisor type as opposed to the shot caller offensively 

I though Connor Hughes made a good point re Hackett/Rodgers - "Nathaniel Hackett could he sitting on a beach collecting millions for the next four years. You telling me he signed on for pressure of being NY’s OC without knowing damn well who his QB is?"

He's fishing for clicks, but it's not a crazy suggestion. No way do I think there's some sort of behind the scenes agreement in place, or that Hackett was signed just to lure in Rodgers, but I'm guessing that's "Plan A" for them. If Hackett helps us land Rodgers, I'm all for it.

1 minute ago, JetsandI said:

no job for 3 years = 150k each from old company.

new job for 75k = 75k from new company + 75k from old company = 150k in total.

I read it as if he accepts a coaching job in the nfl they’re off the hook for what they owe him. 

3 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

Not sure what to think of Hackett. His production as an OC (good/bad) is insubstantial IMO to draw any sort of conclusion, given who he's had at QB. YPG rankings as a play caller:

Nothing on the surface that would make me think the OC failed. That 2017 Jax team jumps out in a big way, then you compare it to DVOA (15th) and it makes more sense - still impressive, but clearly inflated.  

He won't get any credit for his work in GB, but I think it's notable that Rodgers was playing his best football then. Hackett didn't call the plays, but was supposedly instrumental in developing the offensive design, and Rodgers obviously speaks very highly of the guy. 

• Some variation of the West Coast scheme means continuity (love that our young talent won't be forced to learn an entirely new offense)
  • Buff/Jax had the 2nd/1st ranked rushing offensive in '13 & '17 under Hackett - we're a playoff team, as is, with an effective run-game. Even without a QB, Hackett has no excuse if he can't build an offensive strategy around Breece and an improved OL
  • Track record for establishing good player relationships, which will be a refreshing change of pace from MLF

The bad:

• Seem to really struggle as a player caller last season - hate reading that he had issues getting a play called on a regular basis. Lack of decisiveness/confidence, not sure, but a huge red flag IMO
  • Broncos fans roasted him for under utilizing or incorrectly utilizing their talent. Sound familiar? Jeudy got off to a really slow start, Javonte Williams wasn't used in a feature role
  • He was clearly in over his head as a HC, but just from what I've read may even be better suited as a senior advisor type as opposed to the shot caller offensively 

I though Connor Hughes made a good point re Hackett/Rodgers - "Nathaniel Hackett could he sitting on a beach collecting millions for the next four years. You telling me he signed on for pressure of being NY’s OC without knowing damn well who his QB is?"

He's fishing for clicks, but it's not a crazy suggestion. No way do I think there's some sort of behind the scenes agreement in place, or that Hackett was signed just to lure in Rodgers, but I'm guessing that's "Plan A" for them. If Hackett helps us land Rodgers, I'm all for it.

Exactly. Hackett could be partying in Thailand with Kingsbury collecting over 13mill these next 3 years.

No way he takes a HUGE pay cut without knowing something. 

1 minute ago, NJC33 said:

The bad:

There was another interesting report that said Russell Wilson came in and basically told Hackette he was going to do whatever he wanted and ownership supported him. Reports said it made it extremely difficult for Hackette to install his system and the playbook because Wilson was so stuck in his ways he didn't even try to adapt or make anything work. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I've heard this point but haven't commented because I'm not gonna pretend to have any idea how coaching contracts work. I don't think he's taking a pay cut as far as I understand, but is sorta "working for free". But also idk what the language of these contracts looks like, because someone said something about how Kliff would need to prove he's actively searching for another job in 2024 or he won't get all of his money from ARI.

So maybe Hackett got a multi year deal from the Jets? I really have no idea what is and isn't true about these coaching contracts. They're not totally public like the player contracts are.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

Exactly. Hackett could be partying in Thailand with Kingsbury collecting over 13mill these next 3 years.

No way he takes a HUGE pay cut without knowing something. 

I didn't realize he would be forfeiting his Broncos pay..? That's pretty wild if true. 

If he fails this season, his reputation and job prospects around the league are going to take a massive hit. He has no job security with Saleh likely on a playoff mandate. It's a really strange gamble for someone in his position to make

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Same conversations on here every day. No analysis, just hollow statements. 

OK I found something I agree with you on. This QB problem is going to go on for weeks if not months. For us it is sitting and waiting for an offer. I don't think we will make the first move unless Woody Johnson, gets inpatients & that could well happan.