2023 Player movement rumors

Forge

2 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Why would Carr want to be traded and why would an Organization want to pick up the $40M cap # and give away picks when in 11 days they can just sign him to a new deal, Derek gets new signing bonuses and they save picks?

I think it's wishful thinking a trade is consummated. All Carr is doing now is probably seeing what Contracts he can sign with each club. Use one vs the other. Tell them , I'm not going to accept a trade and take away draft assets from helping me/us succeed in year 1 and beyond.

But let's talk!!!🥃

Carr would get to keep his 3 yr/$121M deal ($40M GTD next week) and I'm assuming he also keeps his NTC. I'd imagine that he'll get less in free agency unless he signs somewhere that offers a much worse situation. 

For a team they'd be able to secure an above average, durable, veteran starting QB going into the offseason/next season. If you play chicken about it and he signs elsewhere, what other solid veteran option is out there? Jimmy G? For some front offices/coaching staffs landing Carr could be the difference between keeping their jobs or getting fired. 

9 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Why would Carr want to be traded and why would an Organization want to pick up the $40M cap # and give away picks when in 11 days they can just sign him to a new deal, Derek gets new signing bonuses and they save picks?

I think it's wishful thinking a trade is consummated. All Carr is doing now is probably seeing what Contracts he can sign with each club. Use one vs the other. Tell them , I'm not going to accept a trade and take away draft assets from helping me/us succeed in year 1 and beyond.

But let's talk!!!🥃

He isn't allow to talk with teams. The teams he is allowed to talk with have already agreed to compensation with the Raiders. If one of those teams is say the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, then he gets cut at the deadline for his contract guarantees, then he signs with the Buccaneers the Raiders will call the league office for tampering. If he got cut then signed with the Patriots and they hadn't agreed to compensation to negotiate with Carr previously, then he's free to just sign with them once he's cut. He can't just talk to a team and back door deal, the only reason he can talk to them is because a trade has already been agreed upon, Derek Carr just has the option to decline being traded due to his contract. If the new team wants him at a different contract, that would happen as part of a trade I would think. Like a contingency offer when you buy a house.

Edited by Trojan

On 2/4/2023 at 2:54 PM, General Tso said:

Just a wild guess, but I could see Baker signing a 1 year deal with Arizona and start for them while Kyler heals as a 1 year prove it deal so he gets something longer. Bring the boys back together.

If the Buccaneers miss on Carr / Jimmy G, I think he ends up there. Bruce Arians was interested in him last offseason and they offer the best situation for him to rebuild his value.

27 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

They spent a lot of money last year. 

I would expect Mack to be gone. He's a 27 million dollar cap hit and only 9 million dead money. Saves 18 million against the cap. 

56 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

26 minutes ago, Forge said:

They spent a lot of money last year. 

I would expect Mack to be gone. He's a 27 million dollar cap hit and only 9 million dead money. Saves 18 million against the cap. 

I don't expect the Chargers will cut Allen.   Simply put, their cap situation isn't nearly as dire as Popper suggests.

With being 20M over the cap, they likely want to create 40M in cap room.   It's a lot easier than it looks:

-Cut Matt Feiler, move Sayler to G (and he's now a 3rd swing T too) - saves 6.5M

-Cut Gerald Everett - you've got Donald Parham ready to be the main guy there - saves 6.25M

-Cut Dustin Hopkins - saves 1.5M (they'll go with the)

-Restructure Mack & Bosa - creates 10.2M & 15.9M in cap space.

That's 41.3M in space created.   And yes, you push back 26M in space to 2024+ - but they have almost 44M in cap space for 2024 (and Bosa's dead cap doesn't become due in 2024, it's spread out until the end of 2025).

Keep in mind that a Herbert extension doesn't have to happen until 2025 - with a no-brainer 2024 fifth-year option coming.    They will almost certainly get the extension done this offseason - but it doesn't have to add a lot, if any extra $ for this year.   They could give a 20M signing bonus, then 3 consecutive 20M option year bonuses fully guaranteed - and spread a 4M cap hit this year, and then 24M the next years.    It's crazy how much you can push the cap hits back with extensions.

I know Popper is projecting how the Chargers can be cap-healthy down the line - but cap rules allow them to push things back.  They won't be in serious trouble until 2025 or 2026 - and if they hit on a mega-draft like SEA did last year, or NO did in 2017 - they reset the clock in a big way.

TL:DR - Chargers are more than OK with current cap rules and the contracts they can cut/restructure for far lesser guys than Keenan Allen.    If Allen isn't a key part of their O heading into 2024, diff story.  But the $ can be managed easily.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Having said the above, one of the most telegraphed picks has to be R1 WR for LAC - not just to plan for Allen's eventual phasing out, but also to inject the home-run, blow-the-top-off-D's speed element the Chargers sorely lack at WR.   If you see that move done, then start thinking that Allen won't be a Charger in 2024....but 2023, no way they depend on a rookie, not with their window to contend wide open now.

Edited by Broncofan

11 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I don't expect the Chargers will cut Allen.   Simply put, their cap situation isn't nearly as dire as Popper suggests.

With being 20M over the cap, they likely want to create 40M in cap room.   It's a lot easier than it looks:

-Cut Matt Feiler, move Sayler to G (and he's now a 3rd swing T too) - saves 6.5M

-Cut Gerald Everett - you've got Donald Parham ready to be the main guy there - saves 6.25M

-Cut Dustin Hopkins - saves 1.5M (they'll go with the)

-Restructure Mack & Bosa - creates 10.2M & 15.9M in cap space.

That's 41.3M in space created.   And yes, you push back 26M in space to 2024+ - but they have almost 44M in cap space for 2024 (and Bosa's dead cap doesn't become due in 2024, it's spread out until the end of 2025).

Keep in mind that a Herbert extension doesn't have to happen until 2025 - with a no-brainer 2024 fifth-year option coming.    They will almost certainly get the extension done this offseason - but it doesn't have to add a lot, if any extra $ for this year.   They could give a 20M signing bonus, then 3 consecutive 20M option year bonuses fully guaranteed - and spread a 4M cap hit this year, and then 24M the next years.    It's crazy how much you can push the cap hits back with extensions.

I know Popper is projecting how the Chargers can be cap-healthy down the line - but cap rules allow them to push things back.  They won't be in serious trouble until 2025 or 2026 - and if they hit on a mega-draft like SEA did last year, or NO did in 2017 - they reset the clock in a big way.

TL:DR - Chargers are more than OK with current cap rules and the contracts they can cut/restructure for far less guys than Keenan Allen.    If Allen isn't a key part of their O heading into 2024, diff story.  But the $ can be managed easily.

Not sure that I would advise that they restructure Mack given they have already done it once. He's 32 years old and he was fine last year, but not the type I would want to burden a future year with but I'm sure that they will. He'd just end up costing them in 2024 if they decide to move on after another year. I'd rather just kill that now.  But if they wait to sign Herbert, that 2024 cap hit for the QB should be minor...something between 10-15 million so the dead cap probably wouldn't be prohibitive of anything. 

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Having said the above, one of the most telegraphed picks has to be R1 WR for LAC - not just to plan for Allen's eventual phasing out, but also to inject the home-run, blow-the-top-off-D's speed element the Chargers sorely lack at WR.   If you see that move done, then start thinking that Allen won't be a Charger in 2024....but 2023, no way they depend on a rookie, not with their window to contend wide open now.

I don't think there's anyway that he makes it to the final year of his deal, this will be his final season with the Chargers, IMO. I think going after someone like Darius Slayton or DJ Chark in free agency would be fine for them, whatever WR they add is likely going to be the 4th fiddle in their passing game behind Allen, Williams, and Ekler. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

I don't think there's anyway that he makes it to the final year of his deal, this will be his final season with the Chargers, IMO. I think going after someone like Darius Slayton or DJ Chark in free agency would be fine for them, whatever WR they add is likely going to be the 4th fiddle in their passing game behind Allen, Williams, and Ekler. 

That's also why I wouldn't restructure Allen this year.   I think for better or worse, the Chargers are going to keep both Mack and Bosa next year.  I would leave Allen alone so it provides the cap relief for 2024 if it's time to move on.  They don't need to restructure him to make it work for 2023, so win-win for them. 

All of which hinges on them having a legit viable WR to take some or a lot of the lost production Allen's departure would bring - it doesn't have to be in the same areas, though.   Palmer is OK, but he's not Allen V2.   So adding a burner would complete their WR corps skill-wise, and allow Palmer to be a possession-intermediate guy, and have a true all-phases threat join them as Allen leaves.

Edited by Broncofan

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

Not sure that I would advise that they restructure Mack given they have already done it once. He's 32 years old and he was fine last year, but not the type I would want to burden a future year with but I'm sure that they will. He'd just end up costing them in 2024 if they decide to move on after another year. I'd rather just kill that now.  But if they wait to sign Herbert, that 2024 cap hit for the QB should be minor...something between 10-15 million so the dead cap probably wouldn't be prohibitive of anything. 

I tend to agree, but EDGE is a lot harder to find, so it's a given they will be likely keeping him through 2023, and better than 50-50 they will in 2024.  The conundrum of contenders, often they hang on a year too late than cut bait a year too soon.

Edited by Broncofan