2023 Player movement rumors

Forge

Just now, Trojan said:

Joe Montana had surgery on his elbow in '81, '89 and '91. Was a tendon not a ligament though.

Correct...as far as I'm aware, the number of QBs who have had full blown TJS is pretty limited and the results have not been great. 

Jake Delhomme said his arm felt great, but his career kind of tanked after. But he was 32, 33, and 34. 

Rob Johnson and Craig Erickson also had it, and I don't know if they played after. 

@Broncofan probably knows of other QBs who have had it if there are any 

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Correct...as far as I'm aware, the number of QBs who have had full blown TJS is pretty limited and the results have not been great. 

Jake Delhomme said his arm felt great, but his career kind of tanked after. But he was 32, 33, and 34. 

Rob Johnson and Craig Erickson also had it, and I don't know if they played after. 

@Broncofan probably knows of other QBs who have had it if there are any 

Big Ben IIRC too.  But they all were in the twilight of their careers.   Purdy age very different.  

IMO I’ve said I don’t think he’s a special talent.   Just Shanny reg season scheme success plus CMC juice added.  But obv this still sucks.   Realistically can’t count on anything before 2024.   Anything else is a a bonus.  

Correction - Big Ben didn’t have TJS.   But Terry Bradshaw did.  Very end of career too. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

My guess on the QB carousel 

Brady - 49ers

Rodgers - Jets

Jimmy G - Raiders

Carr - Saints

Dalton - Commanders

Jackson - Ravens

Love - Packers

Jones - Giants

Mayfield - Bucs

Darnold - Cardinals (1 year stopgap while Murray heals)

Texans, Colts, Panthers go for rookie QB's

• Like 2

More than one person in Houston media has theorized that JJ Watt would play one more year for Houston if DeMeco Ryans was named HC of the Texans. Watt has been very forthcoming on how much he admires his former teammate as a leader and mentor. Watt had a very respectable (if not great) 12.5 sacks this season for Arizona, and pass rusher is an absolute need for the Texans. His resume speaks for itself in Houston, so I don’t think anyone here needs convincing.

If he’s not retired, he is a free agent. Not saying it’s true, but saying… don’t be surprised.

12 minutes ago, ET80 said:

More than one person in Houston media has theorized that JJ Watt would play one more year for Houston if DeMeco Ryans was named HC of the Texans. Watt has been very forthcoming on how much he admires his former teammate as a leader and mentor. Watt had a very respectable (if not great) 12.5 sacks this season for Arizona, and pass rusher is an absolute need for the Texans. His resume speaks for itself in Houston, so I don’t think anyone here needs convincing.

If he’s not retired, he is a free agent. Not saying it’s true, but saying… don’t be surprised.

Signed for 2023, so they'd have to trade for him.   Would be a tough sell if it's for anything but a conditional 6th/7th.   Not that Watt isn't worth more in a vacuum, but in a rebuild, at age 34 there's no future upside, very hard to justify.   

Edited by Broncofan

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Signed for 2023, so they'd have to trade for him.   Would be a tough sell if it's for anything but a conditional 6th/7th.   Not that Watt isn't worth more in a vacuum, but in a rebuild, at age 34 there's no future upside, very hard to justify.   

Ah - I misread that, thought he was a FA this season. There could be a situation where Arizona can release him for zero cap hit, but who knows if they’d grant him that release.

Agreed on how he wouldn’t really be a tradable asset.

EDIT: Cardinals are anticipated to have $14.5mm in cap space in ‘23, not exactly a healthy amount. Deandre Hopkins is about an $8mm savings, so that opens up some wiggle room. Watt could bring in an additional $4mm in wiggle room… so never say never.

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

There's something to be said got culture building and leadership.. could be a Gronk situation where he tells the team either cut/trade me To HOU or I'll retire

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

So if TB12 retirement sticks, the Raiders did really let Derek Carr go with no real plan B locked in.    Wow. 

We didn't let Carr go because we had a chance to get Brady. We let Carr go because he is an average at best QB who is a total mental midget, arguably the worst QB in the NFL at extending plays, didn't fit our scheme and is due $40M+ next season.

We have substantial cap space (After letting Carr it's $60M+ and room for more with restructures) and 9 draft picks. Not to mention lots of ammo in potential trades in Carr, Waller, Renfrow, etc.

We're in a good position to land a QB, either via draft, FA or trade. I for one am hoping we trade up for Stroud but we'll have to wait and see.

47 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

We didn't let Carr go because we had a chance to get Brady. We let Carr go because he is an average at best QB who is a total mental midget, arguably the worst QB in the NFL at extending plays, didn't fit our scheme and is due $40M+ next season.

We have substantial cap space (After letting Carr it's $60M+ and room for more with restructures) and 9 draft picks. Not to mention lots of ammo in potential trades in Carr, Waller, Renfrow, etc.

We're in a good position to land a QB, either via draft, FA or trade. I for one am hoping we trade up for Stroud but we'll have to wait and see.

Easy now - the reports from b4 had TB12 & LV locked in on each other, that's all.   

I can totally get behind the Raiders pushing in for a rookie QB.    At this point, it's the clearest path, and they have a decent position for the 3rd guy.    Any other QB choice in FA would be pretty wild.     Frankly, given the D needs about 3-4 more guys (and a real Robin for Maxx Crosby, the dude's unreal), it makes sense to get a rookie QB this year, live with their growing pains as a rookie (with a caretaker type) and be ready to compete hard in 2024.

CAR & LV just likely became competitors for the 3rd QB, obv with TB12 unlikely they would taken the shot.

Edited by Broncofan

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

I can totally get behind the Raiders pushing in for a rookie QB.    At this point, it's the clearest path, and they have a decent position for the 3rd guy.    Any other QB choice in FA would be pretty wild.    

CAR & LV just likely became competitors for the 3rd QB, obv with TB12 unlikely they would taken the shot.

I really only want Young or Stroud at this point in time. Levis, Richardson and co don't give me much faith. We'd have to re-sign Stidham and/or go after a vet like Jmmy G until the raw rookie is ready in a season or two. Young and Stroud I think could start day one.

Josh McD for all the hate he gets did extremely well with rookie Mac Jones. Stidham came in for Carr and lit up the 49ers D and almost won. I don't think the issue is McDaniels offence as much as it was Carr being pedestrian AF.

On 1/31/2023 at 7:59 AM, ET80 said:

Ah - I misread that, thought he was a FA this season. There could be a situation where Arizona can release him for zero cap hit, but who knows if they’d grant him that release.

Agreed on how he wouldn’t really be a tradable asset.

EDIT: Cardinals are anticipated to have $14.5mm in cap space in ‘23, not exactly a healthy amount. Deandre Hopkins is about an $8mm savings, so that opens up some wiggle room. Watt could bring in an additional $4mm in wiggle room… so never say never.

could pull the classic, go to Twitter and ask for a RELEASE

iykyk

• Like 1