2023 Player movement rumors

Forge

1 hour ago, General Tso said:

They might have 4 comp 3rd round picks next year from Ryans, Carthon, Jimmy G, and possibly another free agent.

Well. Oiled. Machine.

They will have one from Carthon / Ryans, but they only get three total and they come in consecutive years. So they will get 1 3rd round comp pick for 23 / 24 / 25 for Ryans and Carthon in total 

Jimmy will probably yield a third round comp, I would imagine. Beyond that, Jimmie Ward should get a nice deal, Mike McGlinchey I expect to get closer to 18 million a year on the open market, so there's a chance that they can get another third, but I'd wager they get something closer to 4th round picks there. Assuming that they don't cancel those out with their own signings. 

Pretty interesting take from Reddit. If Carr were to get hurt during the Pro Bowl, the Raiders would owe him his guarantees. This means they'll likely release him pretty quickly. Here's a copy of the post:

1. If Carr is injured during the ProBowl his injury guarantees will kick in.

2. That makes it highly likely that the Raiders will cut him prior to the ProBowl. Per Art 29 Sec 1(A) of the CBA, any player cut between the trade deadline and the Monday after the Superbowl is subject to the waiver process. He will not be an immediate FA even though he's vested.

3. Art 29 Sec 1(A) of the CBA "if such player is claimed and awarded, he shall have the option to declare himself an Unrestricted Free Agent at the end of the League Year in question if he has a no-trade clause in his Player Contract" If a team claims Carr, he can declare himself a FA next month when the new league year starts. In other words, he'd be on the roster for the ProBowl but that may be it.

4. Once Carr is waived, he is not allowed to negotiate with any club until the waiver process is complete. In other words, a team can't call him and ask what he'd do if they claimed him.

5. If Carr declared himself a FA, the team who held his rights would be eligible to be awarded a compensatory pick, per CBA Appendix V Sec 1. It's highly likely that this would result in a 3rd round pick, but it depends on how many FA are signed/lost by the team with his rights, the performance of those players in 2023, and the contracts they sign.

6. It's conceivable that a team may wish to claim him for the sheer purposes of flipping him for a potential comp pick.

7. However, if claimed, his current contract will be in effect. Meaning, 3 days after the Superbowl he would have his 2023 $33M salary guaranteed as well as $7.5M of his 2024 salary. That's one hell of a risk if you're only trying to flip him.

8. At the end of the day, if you're in the market for a QB it might not be a bad move. His $33M cap hit for 2023 isn't ideal, but is manageable. If he chooses to be a FA rather than play for you then you pick up a free 3rd round pick. If you're not in the market for a QB the risk may be too great.

9. As best as I can tell, Carr could potentially become the first NFL player to have no team while at the ProBowl. We occasionally see pending FA there, but they're still on their team until the first day of the league year, some time in March. This will bring up some interesting thoughts as to what jersey/helmet (will they wear those for flag?) he would wear. Does he rock the Silver & Black, go with the Fresno Bulldogs, or something generic?

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk. Hopefully the title didn't overpromise.

Edit: Reddit's formatting is terrible

Edit 2: The club that makes the most sense is the Chiefs. He costs them nothing for 2023, can back up an injured Mahomes vs a terrific pass rush that injured every QB last week, he could be waived after the Superbowl and before the guarantees, and if he opts to be a FA he can stick it to the Raiders by giving the Chiefs a free draft pick.

Edit 3: Props to u/********** for catching this, waiver claims in the playoffs don't occur until the day after the SB. I've never been so happy to be wrong in my life.

I'm not going to dig into the full details. But, as he corrected, Carr can't play in the Super Bowl. But does it make sense for someone to claim him in hopes he says no to get a comp pick?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

Pretty interesting take from Reddit. If Carr were to get hurt during the Pro Bowl, the Raiders would owe him his guarantees. This means they'll likely release him pretty quickly. Here's a copy of the post:

I'm not going to dig into the full details. But, as he corrected, Carr can't play in the Super Bowl. But does it make sense for someone to claim him in hopes he says no to get a comp pick?

Derek Carr this weekend:

griffin-family-guy.gif

• Like 2

11 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I hope the Bucs enter the Carr sweepstakes. 

I don’t think he’s going to get traded brotha. 

Y’all gonna have to cut him. No trade clause. I’m turning down everything so my team doesn’t have to give up assets. 

It’s crazy that it worked out this way. He’s gonna make you cut him. 

6 hours ago, brownie man said:

Y’all gonna have to cut him. No trade clause. I’m turning down everything so my team doesn’t have to give up assets. 

Then he'll have to sign a far lesser contract, so be it. I am fine with clearing $40M and just getting that baby away from our team.  

• Like 1

On 2/1/2023 at 1:51 PM, Nabbs4u said:

Gonna be funny watching Jared Stidam and a Rookie battling it out and Adams saying, 🖕

I love Adams but having him on the roster puts us in a weird spot because he has made it clear he wants to play with a good veteran QB but we're not really in position to keep making win now moves. Rodgers is really the only option on the market that's a clear upgrade over Carr but we're not in position to trade multiple 1sts for an aging QB.

I pray to god that our new regime copies the Eagles blueprint and goes all in to building through the trenches. Continuously scrapping the bottom of the barrel for our OL/DL is the main reason we haven't been very competitive.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, brownie man said:

It's looking more likely that we'll eventually cut him but it'd be in Carr's favor to help facilitate a trade so he can keep his current deal (7th biggest in the NFL) and secure that $40M GTD in two weeks. But I could also see him being willing to take a smaller deal if it has more GTD money on the backend. 

On 2/1/2023 at 9:19 AM, CWood21 said:

I'm not sure I'd agree, unless you want to pay a fortune to move up to get a QB.  Right now, QBs seemed poised to go off the board at 2 (Houston) and 4 (Indianapolis) barring trade ups from anyone else.  The FA market is highlighted by *checks notes* Jimmy G, and the only major QB available is Aaron Rodgers.

I agree, we're not really in a great spot to land Young/Stroud, the FA class isn't great, and Rodgers is likely going to cost a fortune for a team that lacks depth and talent across the board. The only thing that gives me some hope is that we have an elite group of weapons (assuming JJ is back) so I could see Rodgers wanting to play for us. 

15 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Then he'll have to sign a far lesser contract, so be it. I am fine with clearing $40M and just getting that baby away from our team.  

Why? Burrow is going to get 50mil+, Jackson might too. Tua would be in the 45ish range if not for concussions. You think one of the NFC South won't offer him the 35mil he's on track to make this year? Russ, Kyler and Deshaun average 46+. Stafford and Dak 40.  He makes Wentz, Goff, Cousins and Matt Ryan money. If you aren't paying that range, you're in the market for a rookie deal. Carr is going to get more on the open market than what he's on track to get from the Raiders no doubt. Carr makes a similar amount to Mariota + Chandler Jones. It's not an overpay.