What's Aaron Rodgers trade value?

49ersfan

He's mused openly about being traded this offseason and I think the Packers might finally be ready to move on as well. 

Rodgers turns 40 in December and had his struggles, but he has an impressive resume and can still sling it. And, he'll likely have competition for his services - Jets & Raiders are 2 teams who should show interest. Dolphins & Titans could also be interested

Don't think they'll trade him to an NFC team if the offers are similar, but if they do, the Commanders are the obvious choice

I think Rodgers goes for a 1st, future 2nd, and some late picks 

Two 1st's seems unlikely, but possible depending on the competition/desperation

3 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

He's mused openly about being traded this offseason and I think the Packers might finally be ready to move on as well. 

Rodgers turns 40 in December and had his struggles, but he has an impressive resume and can still sling it. And, he'll likely have competition for his services - Jets & Raiders are 2 teams who should show interest. Dolphins & Titans could also be interested

Don't think they'll trade him to an NFC team if the offers are similar, but if they do, the Commanders are the obvious choice

I think Rodgers goes for a 1st, future 2nd, and some late picks 

I doubt the Titans would be interested.  Taking on Rodgers' contract while also paying the dead money to cut Tannehill would lock up their finances, while giving up draft picks would mean they can't fix any of the many holes.  No draft picks plus no money means you keep the same awful OL and group of receivers.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I doubt the Titans would be interested.  Taking on Rodgers' contract while also paying the dead money to cut Tannehill would lock up their finances, while giving up draft picks would mean they can't fix any of the many holes.  No draft picks plus no money means you keep the same awful OL and group of receivers.

I'd put them more as a darkhorse than a favorite, but I think there could be real motivation by Tennessee to look to improve upon Ryan Tannehill.  They could trade him and recoup some picks saving nearly $18M.  By releasing Taylor Lewan and Zach Cunningham, they'd be legal by being under the salary cap.  Ryan Tannehill trade/release clears an additional $18M, which would be enough to swallow Rodgers' $15.8M this year.  And he has a reasonable $32.5M next year as well.

Just now, CWood21 said:

I'd put them more as a darkhorse than a favorite, but I think there could be real motivation by Tennessee to look to improve upon Ryan Tannehill.  They could trade him and recoup some picks saving nearly $18M.  By releasing Taylor Lewan and Zach Cunningham, they'd be legal by being under the salary cap.  Ryan Tannehill trade/release clears an additional $18M, which would be enough to swallow Rodgers' $15.8M this year.  And he has a reasonable $32.5M next year as well.

It's possible, but a team with a lot of holes that needs to cut players just to get under the cap isn't a team that's likely to trade for a veteran QB.  Unless you think Tannehill has more trade value than I think he does.  But getting like a high pick for Tannehill is what they would need just to make the trade even feasible.  That and Rodgers taking less money than GB is paying him.  And I don't see both of those happening.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Definitely feels like a more conditionally-based picks if they're moving multiple FRPs.  Honestly, I could see something like 13, '24 FRP (Conditional based on PT, team success, etc.), '25 FRP (Conditional based on PT, team success, etc.) for Rodgers/15.  If Rodgers doesn't play in 2023, the Packers don't get a pick at all in in the 2024 or 2025.  If he plays in 75% of the offensive snaps and/or Jets make the playoffs, the Packers get FRP in 2024.  If the Jets miss the playoffs and/or Rodgers plays in less than 75% of the snaps in '23, then the Packers get a SRP.  Repeat for the 2024 season and 2025 drafts.  Or something along those lines.  For the Jets, the risk is minimal.  At worst, Rodgers retires and they're moving down 2 spots in the draft and they're left with $0 dead cap (from my understanding). 

Just now, Daniel said:

It's possible, but a team with a lot of holes that needs to cut players just to get under the cap isn't a team that's likely to trade for a veteran QB.  Unless you think Tannehill has more trade value than I think he does.  But getting like a high pick for Tannehill is what they would need just to make the trade even feasible.  That and Rodgers taking less money than GB is paying him.  And I don't see both of those happening.

Someone from the Titans' forum (paging @titans0021) could probably be a bit more insightful into the Titans' cap situation, but Zach Cunningham ($13.4M cap hit after playing in 6 games last year) and Taylor Lewan ($14.8M after playing in 2 games last year) seem like very obvious cap casualties.

1 minute ago, Trentwannabe said:

Is there a real market for him outside of the Jets? That could force the Packers hand in some ways

Have to figure that there won't be any shortage of suitors.  Have to imagine that the Raiders, Commanders, and Jets as the highly likely trade partners.  Panthers, Colts, Buccaneers, Saints, and Titans as potential suitors.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Someone from the Titans' forum (paging @titans0021) could probably be a bit more insightful into the Titans' cap situation, but Zach Cunningham ($13.4M cap hit after playing in 6 games last year) and Taylor Lewan ($14.8M after playing in 2 games last year) seem like very obvious cap casualties.

Them, Woods, and Dupree are almost certain cap casualties.  I'm rooting for Lewan to be re-signed with a big pay cut, but I think that's not likely.

Once all of those cuts are made, the Titans will be like 50+ under the cap, so they'll have some room, but they're losing the following starters to free agent status:
Left tackle
Left guard (RFA)
Right Guard
WR2
WR3
TE2
Edge2
NT
ILB
ILB2
LS

So, yeah, they're already in a tight spot moneywise since they've got 11 starter position players either hitting free agency or getting cut.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Have to figure that there won't be any shortage of suitors.  Have to imagine that the Raiders, Commanders, and Jets as the highly likely trade partners.  Panthers, Colts, Buccaneers, Saints, and Titans as potential suitors.

well Rodgers could just retire so he will have some choice in where he goes if he goes anywhere right?

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Obviously things could change but if the report is true they wouldn't trade him within the NFC that would eliminate most of that list. Raiders would make sense though they seem to be connected to Brady.

1 minute ago, Daniel said:

Them, Woods, and Dupree are almost certain cap casualties.  I'm rooting for Lewan to be re-signed with a big pay cut, but I think that's not likely.

Once all of those cuts are made, the Titans will be like 50+ under the cap, so they'll have some room, but they're losing the following starters to free agent status:
Left tackle
Left guard (RFA)
Right Guard
WR2
WR3
TE2
Edge2
NT
ILB
ILB2
LS

So, yeah, they're already in a tight spot moneywise since they've got 11 starter position players either hitting free agency or getting cut.

LIS, I'm not sure you're necessarily digging through '23 picks to get Rodgers.  Especially depending on when the trade is executed.  It could be an all '24 and '25 pick package.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ninjapirate said:

well Rodgers could just retire so he will have some choice in where he goes if he goes anywhere right?

Correct.  My guess is there's probably going to be a 3-4 team list (max) that Rodgers would accept a trade to.  1 or 2 of them are probably going to be non-starters (think San Francisco) for one reason or another, so the Packers would effectively be negotiation between 2-3 teams.  My guess is Tennessee, Las Vegas, and NY Jets.

1 minute ago, Trentwannabe said:

Obviously things could change but if the report is true they wouldn't trade him within the NFC that would eliminate most of that list. Raiders would make sense though they seem to be connected to Brady.

As I mentioned in the Packers' forum, that reeks of GM speak.  Gute's essentially saying that if you're an NFC team, you're going to have to pay heavy to get him.  And quite frankly, I would do the same thing.  If the packages being offered are remotely close, you're taking the AFC team in a heartbeat.