What's Aaron Rodgers trade value?

49ersfan

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I'd put Washington in the unlikely territory, but if the choice is going back to Green Bay (when GB makes it clear they want to move forward with Love) or go to Washington he might come around.

To be honest, I'd consider a more likely situation (though the money/cap matters would be a damn Rube Goldberg by the time it was all done) that New Orleans would be more likely than Washington - largely because that would be a scenario where I could see Payton just flat out unretiring and not trying to go somewhere else, but rather staying with the Saints.

6 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

There's zero chance be retires now, though, and I think every GM knows that. He has more years in him and an insane contract in his favor. 

That said, his contract is so big and untradable as is that all he would need to do to not go somewhere is be unwilling to move money around on the contract and just tell the team trading for him that he doesn't want to go there. That should be enough for a team not to trade for the headache of that contract along with a player who doesn't want to be there. That is why I believe Rodgers has 100% of the leverage. $0.02.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head with this one. It's hard to say what his trade value is because at the end of the day it isn't up to the Packers. If Rodgers doesn't want to get traded to a certain team he will just retire.

I'm 100% convinced this trade talk coming out of Rodgers mouth is just because he wants to get his friends paid.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, StatKing said:

Pretty much hit the nail on the head with this one. It's hard to say what his trade value is because at the end of the day it isn't up to the Packers.

Yup

If Rodgers doesn't want to get traded to a certain team he will just retire.

I think he has some leverage with this, but I'd give Rodgers about a 1% chance of retiring this year. The contract is just too big, guaranteed and his play didn't fall off a cliff just yet. But we'll see.

I'm 100% convinced this trade talk coming out of Rodgers mouth is just because he wants to get his friends paid.

It very well could be that; however, I think he does want out and will indeed get traded. But I thought he was gonna get traded last year, so there is that 😄.

10 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Definitely feels like a more conditionally-based picks if they're moving multiple FRPs.  Honestly, I could see something like 13, '24 FRP (Conditional based on PT, team success, etc.), '25 FRP (Conditional based on PT, team success, etc.) for Rodgers/15.  If Rodgers doesn't play in 2023, the Packers don't get a pick at all in in the 2024 or 2025.  If he plays in 75% of the offensive snaps and/or Jets make the playoffs, the Packers get FRP in 2024.  If the Jets miss the playoffs and/or Rodgers plays in less than 75% of the snaps in '23, then the Packers get a SRP.  Repeat for the 2024 season and 2025 drafts.  

I must be trippin', because this seems like such a clearly bad deal for the Jets, even with those conditions.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

I must be trippin', because this seems like such a clearly bad deal for the Jets, even with those conditions.

How do you figure?  Realistically speaking, I'd expect that to convey as a FRP in 2024 and a 2nd round pick in 2025.  That seems about fair.  If things go badly in 2023, then the Packers get a 2nd round pick.  And if Rodgers retires after the 2023 season, then the Jets are only dealing either a FRP or SRP for Rodgers and his 2023 season.

EDIT: After re-reading my original post, the '25 pick would be a bit more tougher to convey as a FRP.  Basically, the '25 pick would only convey as a FRP IF the Jets made it to the Super Bowl and Rodgers played in 80%+ of the offensive snaps.  SRP if they make the playoffs and he plays in 70% of the snaps, and a 3rd round pick if they don't make the playoffs.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StatKing said:

Pretty much hit the nail on the head with this one. It's hard to say what his trade value is because at the end of the day it isn't up to the Packers. If Rodgers doesn't want to get traded to a certain team he will just retire.

Honest question, who is there among his friends that are up for payment?  Jones?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dr LBC said:

Honest question, who is there among his friends that are up for payment?  Jones?

Cobb, Lewis, Lazard, Tonyan

There are some that are under contract that could be moved for cap reasons, mainly Crosby

Edited by squire12

11 hours ago, StatKing said:

I've been out of the loop for a couple of days.  What did AR say about a trade lately?

9 hours ago, malak1 said:

How much trade value has Rodgers lost in the past year? Seems like a huge blunder not trading him last offseason, though I don’t blame them. 

A lot of Packers fans are unhappy we didn't trade him away last offseason but I can't think of another NFL GM ever trading away his reigning MVP.  With that ridiculous salary and cap hit along with his decline in play I don't imagine many GMs clamoring for his services now.

Edited by Pugger