What's Aaron Rodgers trade value?

49ersfan

20 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

Fair compensation.

Would be a 2023 day 2 pick, 2024 conditional pick.

Anything more than that is asking for too much. The Jets trying to win next season isn't going to give away the 13th overall pick when that very well could be a instant impact starter for us. 

We have holes still on the OL, DL, LB, and safety. We need draft picks where we do most of our work on improving the team usually. 

Expecting a ton back for a QB pushing 40 who maybe plays 1 year is ridiculous. No one around the league believes that other than the Packers. In the end, the Packers will take what they can get because this benefits both teams. The Packers get their wish of moving on so they can start Love on his 4th year of his rookie contract, the Jets get a QB for the next year maybe 2. 

Anyone thinking a day 2 pick and a 2024 conditional pick is peanuts is ridiculous. 

Joe Douglas, is that You?

No wonder the trade hasn't happened if he too is thinking like you. GL! You can't let the entire world know you'd do anything to get Rodgers, then balk at paying the piper. 

You are Screwed. It's Aaron or Lamar. Nothing else at this point. That's the corner your FO painted you into. The QB's your fan base better get! Roll into 2023 with Zach Wilson because you played chicken thru the NFL draft. 

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

No wonder the trade hasn't happened if he too is thinking like you. GL! You can't let the entire world know you'd do anything to get Rodgers, then balk at paying the piper. 

You are Screwed. It's Aaron or Lamar. Nothing else at this point. That's the corner you FO painted you into. Your fan base better get!

The entire league outside of Packerville knows that it is insane to give up a high first round pick for a 40 year old QB.

Tell me one time in NFL history that a player pushing 40 received a first round pick?

The closest trade comparison we have is Brett Favre, the Jets did not give up a first for him.

The Packers made it clear, they want/need to move on from Rodgers so that they can play Love. If Rodgers isn't traded it destroys their entire plan. All combine all you heard from the league is how obvious the Packers made it that they want to move on from Rodgers.  The Packers have to play Love, he is in year 4 of his rookie contract, they need to see if he's going to be worth keeping for a 5th year.  

Rodgers can make this real ugly if the Packers won't trade him because they have unrealistic trade ideas, Rodgers holds a heck of a lot more power than you think. 

Even Rodgers own words, there is no scenario where the Packers are going to say "the Jets aren't offering enough so we will run it back with you".  The Jets and Packers had to have had some sort of framework where they felt it was going to get done for the Jets to even talk to Rodgers and pursue him, otherwise the Jets would have signed Carr as the JEts were Carr's #1 spot. 

The NFL draft is a month away, if they want a 2023 draft pick they better hurry. 

• Like 1

If I'm the jets, I'm out until August. Rodgers doesn't move the needle for me at all, nor should he for the jets. They really aren't any more serious contenders with him than without him (might make the playoffs but not going to representing the AFC in the superbowl). If I were the jets (or a fan of them) I would much rather spend my assets (13+) on a rookie qb instead of a 1 year rental who may or may not care to play beyond this year (or this year too). If the jets want to give the impression that they care about figuring out the qb position for a year, trade a 3rd for him in August. Beyond that, I'm out all together. Rodgers is worth as much off the team for the packers (especially the closer you get to September 1) as he is worth on their team. How does that equate to much value? 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

You are Screwed. It's Aaron or Lamar. Nothing else at this point. That's the corner you FO painted you into. Your fan base better get!

The media has already done a 180, unless another team decides to enter the mix, he will go for like a 2 and 4. That’s it.

9 hours ago, sparkyjoe1 said:

If I'm the jets, I'm out until August. Rodgers doesn't move the needle for me at all, nor should he for the jets. They really aren't any more serious contenders with him than without him (might make the playoffs but not going to representing the AFC in the superbowl). If I were the jets (or a fan of them) I would much rather spend my assets (13+) on a rookie qb instead of a 1 year rental who may or may not care to play beyond this year (or this year too). If the jets want to give the impression that they care about figuring out the qb position for a year, trade a 3rd for him in August. Beyond that, I'm out all together. Rodgers is worth as much off the team for the packers (especially the closer you get to September 1) as he is worth on their team. How does that equate to much value? 

Your team already tried that and ended up with zach wilson.. you really think the FO will put their jobs on the line for will levis or anthony richardson? No, they need Rodgers to get them a playoff win or two so their jobs are safe. Gutekunst knows this and won't settle for pennies

• Like 3

11 hours ago, NYJets4716 said:

The entire league outside of Packerville knows that it is insane to give up a high first round pick for a 40 year old QB.

Tell me one time in NFL history that a player pushing 40 received a first round pick?

The closest trade comparison we have is Brett Favre, the Jets did not give up a first for him.

The Packers made it clear, they want/need to move on from Rodgers so that they can play Love. If Rodgers isn't traded it destroys their entire plan. All combine all you heard from the league is how obvious the Packers made it that they want to move on from Rodgers.  The Packers have to play Love, he is in year 4 of his rookie contract, they need to see if he's going to be worth keeping for a 5th year.  

Rodgers can make this real ugly if the Packers won't trade him because they have unrealistic trade ideas, Rodgers holds a heck of a lot more power than you think. 

Even Rodgers own words, there is no scenario where the Packers are going to say "the Jets aren't offering enough so we will run it back with you".  The Jets and Packers had to have had some sort of framework where they felt it was going to get done for the Jets to even talk to Rodgers and pursue him, otherwise the Jets would have signed Carr as the JEts were Carr's #1 spot. 

The NFL draft is a month away, if they want a 2023 draft pick they better hurry. 

They have to make the decision on Love's 5th year in May, long before they get any extensive look at him

23 hours ago, adamq said:

Your team already tried that and ended up with zach wilson.. you really think the FO will put their jobs on the line for will levis or anthony richardson? No, they need Rodgers to get them a playoff win or two so their jobs are safe. Gutekunst knows this and won't settle for pennies

Not a fan of either team, just trying to look at it objectively. If you're looking to get a playoff win or two to save your job, you probably don't want Rodgers... I don't know anything about the qbs in the draft this year, so if you don't want to draft one this year that's fine. I just think you can find a different stop-gap qb for less (draft capital and drama) and get the same results. Rodgers doesn't put them above teams like the chiefs, buffalo, or Bengals and then you've got the dolphins (depending on tua), chargers, ravens, and jags who I would also take before the jets with or without rodgers. The jets could make the playoffs, but he doesn't really make them a contender, IMO.

18 minutes ago, sparkyjoe1 said:

Not a fan of either team, just trying to look at it objectively. If you're looking to get a playoff win or two to save your job, you probably don't want Rodgers... I don't know anything about the qbs in the draft this year, so if you don't want to draft one this year that's fine. I just think you can find a different stop-gap qb for less (draft capital and drama) and get the same results. Rodgers doesn't put them above teams like the chiefs, buffalo, or Bengals and then you've got the dolphins (depending on tua), chargers, ravens, and jags who I would also take before the jets with or without rodgers. The jets could make the playoffs, but he doesn't really make them a contender, IMO.

The conventional wisdom is that the 2022 Jets had a great defense, solid run game, and good depth and were let down because of atrocious QB play. Rodgers is the remedy to that specific issue and even average Rodgers makes that team more potent...

The NFL rarely ever works in such a way where you can transfer last years success in such a one to one way and you really never know what will happen. 

So in theory Rodgers is the right move. In reality, the Jets probably aren't really a Chiefs level team even with Rodgers and that's with big assumptions like the defense remaining dominant or Breece Hall continuing rookie success after a major injury.

I would say that the Jets front office does know they can't repeat last year with impunity and heads will roll. So Rodgers does become a bit of a must for them this late in the free agency game. They don't get this deal done, they either have to offer Lamar (who doesn't fit their offense imo) a fortune (which the Ravens might match anyways) or probably roll with Wilson again.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sparkyjoe1 said:

I just think you can find a different stop-gap qb for less

That was true before Carr and Jimmy signed.. Right now there are hardly even any QBs left that would make a decent back up.

I agree that Rodgers probably wasnt the ideal move if you want long term success, but the Jets think their window is now. They saw what LA did with Stafford and believe this roster is as good or better with Rodgers, right or wrong.  Unless they can convince Brady to come back, the Jets have let Green Bay back them into a corner and really don't have much leverage until that guarantee date starts to get much closer. 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2023 at 10:53 AM, adamq said:

This "job on the line" stuff leaves out all of the ongoing owner involvement.

It's not like Woody Johnson is going to go on vacation, come back during the preseason, and then shoot a random mass mid-morning e-mail titled "Joe, why don't we have a good QB yet?" (I assume all NFL owners are the types of people who reply in the subject line.)

And honestly, I don't think explaining the situation is all that difficult if you're Joe Douglas. Woody Johnson's background is in investment banking, it's not like the concept of a calculated risk is going to be new to him.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, adamq said:

That was true before Carr and Jimmy signed.. Right now there are hardly even any QBs left that would make a decent back up.

I agree that Rodgers probably wasnt the ideal move if you want long term success, but the Jets think their window is now. They saw what LA did with Stafford and believe this roster is as good or better with Rodgers, right or wrong.  Unless they can convince Brady to come back, the Jets have let Green Bay back them into a corner and really don't have much leverage until that guarantee date starts to get much closer. 

This is feeling like a Jets issue of them getting very hot feet because everyone is feeling pressure and they are going to make a dumb longterm decision

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This "job on the line" stuff leaves out all of the ongoing owner involvement.

It's not like Woody Johnson is going to go on vacation, come back during the preseason, and then shoot a random mass mid-morning e-mail titled "Joe, why don't we have a good QB yet?" (I assume all NFL owners are the types of people who reply in the subject line.)

And honestly, I don't think explaining the situation is all that difficult if you're Joe Douglas. Woody Johnson's background is in investment banking, it's not like the concept of a calculated risk is going to be new to him.

If the GM and HCs jobs aren't on the line because it's Woody's call, why is he paying them in the first place? What are their jobs? What decisions does Joe actually make himself?

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

If the GM and HCs jobs aren't on the line because it's Woody's call, why is he paying them in the first place? What are their jobs? What decisions does Joe actually make himself?

I imagine a GM makes very few decisions exclusively on their own. It's a collaborative management job.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I imagine a GM makes very few decisions exclusively on their own. It's a collaborative management job.

So if his job isn't in jeopardy from Zach Wilson, and you're telling us it won't be based on acquiring Aaron Rodgers, is the Jets GM position the safest seat in the NFL?

How many QBs do other GMs get to miss on before getting fired?

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

So if his job isn't in jeopardy from Zach Wilson, and you're telling us it won't be based on acquiring Aaron Rodgers, is the Jets GM position the safest seat in the NFL?

Honestly, right, now? Yeah. He's done all the hard stuff. Aaron wants to play for the Jets. That's what really matters.

A GM that has a motivated Aaron Rodgers tied to his hip can play golf professionally for a few months, that's how valuable that is.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99