What's Aaron Rodgers trade value?

49ersfan

I don't think Rodgers is ELITE elite anymore, but this isn't even the first time in the last four years that people have claimed he was washed up, lol. He's still really good and a lot of teams would gladly pay what it takes to get him, even for just a season or two.

19 hours ago, malak1 said:

How likely is it that the Raiders are in a higher draft position next year with Rodgers on the roster? Not very, imo. I think they had something like only 2 or 3 losses by more than 7 points this year. 

Probably not good.  But it's not necessarily about getting the highest pick.  LIS, I'd be angling for a pick swap this year plus their FRP next year.  And that's more about the direction of the team and Jordan Love.  Right now, the Packers are going to be pushed up against the cap next year with or without Aaron Rodgers on the roster.  And if Jordan Love struggles, the Packers are probably going to be picking pretty high but being armed with an extra FRP makes it easier to move up and get someone like Caleb Williams.

• Like 1

The details for the Green Bay Packers‘ fifth-year option on quarterback Jordan Love just became official.

To clarify, the Packers have not yet exercised their option on the backup QB, who was drafted in first round back in 2020 and will enter his fourth NFL season in 2023. However, the NFL clarified exactly what a fifth year for Love will cost Green Bay, and it isn’t going to be cheap.

Fifth-year prices vary by position and based on what a player has accomplished, relying mostly on any Pro-Bowl selections and how much playing time the player in question has on his resumé.

As Love has played only sparingly behind four-time MVP quarterback Aaron Rodgers since entering the league, he falls into category four, which is the cheapest of all. Even still, according to numbers provided by the league via Breer on Wednesday, the Packers will have to pay Love $20,272,000 if they want to keep him with the franchise through 2024.

https://heavy.com/sports/green-bay-packers/jordan-love-contract-extension-aaron-rodgers/?fbclid=IwAR1u4kWLPKpDVlIedh_9O3Nym-LJ34HiqhL78e3Zndt1q6fd9qrkVj7ZJhU

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Everyone said the same about Brady coming off his 2019 season. 

And everyone thought Russell Wilson would be good in a different situation... I don't recall anybody questioning Brady's desire and dedication prior to going to Tampa (could be wrong), but those have been questions surrounding Rodgers for several years. Brady literally chose football over his wife/family and I really can't see a scenario where Rodgers would do the same. Brady is just wired differently from most people. Rodgers is not like Brady.

• Like 3

On 2/9/2023 at 11:32 AM, sparkyjoe1 said:

And everyone thought Russell Wilson would be good in a different situation... I don't recall anybody questioning Brady's desire and dedication prior to going to Tampa (could be wrong), but those have been questions surrounding Rodgers for several years. Brady literally chose football over his wife/family and I really can't see a scenario where Rodgers would do the same. Brady is just wired differently from most people. Rodgers is not like Brady.

Not many people are wired like Brady.  I wonder how many other players would chose football over his family...

It will be interesting to see if Wilson's play will improve under Payton and the staff he assembles.  Wilson is also 6 years younger than Rodgers so perhaps he isn't as close to the end as AR is.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pugger said:

Not many people are wired like Brady.  I wonder how many other players would chose football over his family...

It will be interesting to see if Wilson's play will improve under Payton and the staff he assembles.  Wilson is also 6 years younger than Rodgers so perhaps he isn't as close to the end as AR is.  

I certainly would choose my family without hesitation. Don't really understand Brady's choice, but football must be his true love. Sucks for his kids and hopefully they can co-parent effectively. 

On 2/9/2023 at 11:32 AM, sparkyjoe1 said:

Brady literally chose football over his wife/family and I really can't see a scenario where Rodgers would do the same. Brady is just wired differently from most people. Rodgers is not like Brady.

I'm not seeing many scenarios where football vs family becomes an issue for Rodgers anytime soon.  Something about the past 12 months making you think family is a priority for Rodgers?  The ayahuasca?  The darkness retreat?

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

I'm not seeing many scenarios where football vs family becomes an issue for Rodgers anytime soon.  Something about the past 12 months making you think family is a priority for Rodgers?  The ayahuasca?  The darkness retreat?

Not at all. He may have other personal interests that become (or already are) more important  to him than football. I rarely saw any passion from him when he played, but he seems to have other passions outside of football that he may prioritize (as his family doesn't seem important to him). If he could have hosted Jeopardy full time. I think he would have seriously consider retirement. I'm on the outside looking in, but it looks to me like he just doesn't care that much anymore.

16 minutes ago, sparkyjoe1 said:

Not at all. He may have other personal interests that become (or already are) more important  to him than football. I rarely saw any passion from him when he played, but he seems to have other passions outside of football that he may prioritize (as his family doesn't seem important to him). If he could have hosted Jeopardy full time. I think he would have seriously consider retirement. I'm on the outside looking in, but it looks to me like he just doesn't care that much anymore.

He cares very, very bigly about football. The problem is that the things he finds important are not necessarily aligned with team success.