Super Bowl XXXII: The Revenge Tour

7DnBrnc53

I was born in 1982 and grew up watching the golden age of the NBA - we were huge Bulls fans as my parents are from Chicagoland, my dad and I went to every Nuggets/Bulls game from 1988-1999, saw virtually every game Jordan played from 1988 on. I got to see the Avs win the cup in 1996, we went to one of the games at old McNicols Arena. I watched Tiger win all those majors, including his 1999 PGA Championship at Medinah in person. Some of the best memories of my life. Not just sports related but overall. 

None of those rivals the 1997 Broncos season with the SB win over Green Bay. Absolutely epic. I almost tear up a little bit just thinking about it, it was my sophomore year of high school. 

• Like 2

I still remember the 14-point spread after the Packers won the NFC Title Game, and how John Madden didn't seem to give the Broncos much of a chance (he was a Favre lover) on the postgame show following the NFC Championship Game. It was sickening. I really felt that Denver was getting vastly disrespected. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

That’s was the first game I ever bet $ on.   Den +14 was ridiculous.   

No one gave them a chance. I remember listening to Richard Enberg and the NBC crew drumming up the Elway/Broncos as an underdog story, sentimental favorite who could maybe shock the world but how it was Favre’s game to lose. I remember Enberg later saying, before he retired, that it wasn’t hype, he felt the Broncos had an even chance to win the game. Vegas lost a lot of money that night. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

No one gave them a chance. I remember listening to Richard Enberg and the NBC crew drumming up the Elway/Broncos as an underdog story, sentimental favorite who could maybe shock the world but how it was Favre’s game to lose. I remember Enberg later saying, before he retired, that it wasn’t hype, he felt the Broncos had an even chance to win the game. Vegas lost a lot of money that night. 

I made $4000 bucks on that game. I didn't bet often but IMO the line was off by over a TD. The press hype for GB was over the top. Both our OL and D front 7 were vastly underrated. Both units were easily top 5 in the NFL. How you can possibly rate a team like that as 14 point dogs still baffles me. 

It came down to the old cliches, "run the ball, stop the run", "games are won or lost at the LOS". Basically, we won the battle on both sides of the LOS. 

Gilbert Brown, their massive NT, the guy they said would dominate the interior against our OL was abused all day and was never really a factor.

Still puts a smile on my face.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Gilbert Brown, their massive NT, the guy they said would dominate the interior against our OL was abused all day and was never really a factor.

I remember that game, and how they were talking about the size of the Denver OL. You had Zimmerman, Schlereth, Nalen, Habib, and Tony Jones. That was a great line, and all they talked about was how much they weighed. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MontanaBronco said:

Y'all are old. 

In all seriousness though I wish I was old enough to have a true appreciation for the superbowl teams, but alas.  At least I was old enough to appreciate some good years with nalen, rod smith, McCaffery, sharpe, and pryor later in their careers. 

It sure beats the alternative. 

19 hours ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I remember going to church that morning. This one lady's daughter was a Packer fan (I don't live in Wisconsin, just to put that out there), and she had a cheesehead with her. I remember that lady saying that she hoped Denver would win, but they will get killed. I couldn't believe it. I didn't say anything, but I was upset, and couldn't wait until kickoff.

I was thinking, though: There should be a 30 for 30 made on the 1996-98 Broncos called Three Years of Dominance. They were the team that ended the 13-year long NFC stranglehold on the NFL. And, they sometimes get forgotten because they were in between that streak and the millenial teams (a decade that looked like it would be ruled by the Ravens and Rams until the Pats dishonestly changed the script). 

What if I told you that, on Sept. 1, 1996, the NFC's days of dominance were numbered? 

Edited by 7DnBrnc53
  • Like 1

I remember watching Craig Morton and the Broncos losing to the Cowboys in the super bowl. I was crushed (no pun intended). I also remember the hope, and subsequent fear of Elways rookie year. Lining up under the guard, the play clock struggle, and at times thinking all we signed was a running back that could bounce the ball off of players chests at QB. The following 15-16 years were comfy because you knew we wouldn’t be bad. The question was how good. By the time that 1997 team made it to the Super Bowl, I knew it was over before the game was played. Those were fun times. TD, Rod Smith, Shannon Sharpe, the O line, and even the defense. You’d be hard pressed to find a more complete team, from players to coaches. Fun times 

• Like 2