Which teams are farthest away from contention?

notthatbluestuff

7 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Maybe 5%.  But the whole group of owners were pi$$ed about that contract, so I could see a collusion level embargo on not trading for him.

He's yours.  It may work out.  You've already took the most intense heat over it, might as well see what happens.

Your right But considering that if he went to a team like Minnesota that is 99 percent likely to get rid of Cousins he make take them up a level.

Another point is that he turns in number like before and Cleveland still finishes last then you could see real demand for him

On 1/28/2023 at 2:33 PM, incognito_man said:

This is how I looked at it as well. Being awful is often a great way to get really good quickly. So who are the middling teams that won't get premium draft capital and are somehow "stuck" with QB play that isn't going to cut it.

I think Denver, Minnesota, Chicago and Arizona fit that mold. The Rams might too at this point.

This doesn't make sense..you do know we have the 1st pick in the draft right. How is this not premium draft capital?

Also we're not stuck with QB play that isn't going to cut it

Fields is still early enough in his career where you can't make a judgement call like that and he is also on a rookie contract...

If he doesn't pan out then the team is very likely looking to replace him at this point in time next year with no financial repercussions 

I've already counted two Packers fans mention Bears in this thread...how about you look at your own team you homers 😂 the future doesn't exactly look too bright for you right now 

Edited by topwop1

48 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

This doesn't make sense..you do know we have the 1st pick in the draft right. How is this not premium draft capital?

Also we're not stuck with QB play that isn't going to cut it

Fields is still early enough in his career where you can't make a judgement call like that and he is also on a rookie contract...

If he doesn't pan out then the team is very likely looking to replace him at this point in time next year with no financial repercussions 

I've already counted two Packers fans mention Bears in this thread...how about you look at your own team you homers 😂 the future doesn't exactly look too bright for you right now 

Someone is insecure

On 1/29/2023 at 7:00 PM, Vladimir L said:

Broncos 

no draft capital

no cap capital

no good qb 

what if nobody will accept the HC job there in denver ? Just imagine they would have to forfeit their season then, no more picks to forfeit . 

who would want to ruin their coaching career going there?

Edited by 3rivers

On 1/27/2023 at 10:01 PM, Danger said:

Saints
Bears
Colts
Falcons
Buccaneers
Broncos

Some of these teams not because of the sheer amount of talent they have on their team right now but just because they're window is closed and it's going to be some time before their window is open again.

Bears and Falcons at least have the cap and picks to be better next year and compete for a playoff spot.

31 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Bears and Falcons at least have the cap and picks to be better next year and compete for a playoff spot.

Falcons should be looking to improve their QB play, so they're tough to judge currently. Chicago is handcuffed to a guy who ain't it and just gave up essentially a first round pick for chase Claypool.

They aint competing...

32 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Thats my thought as well. From the bears perspective, obviously they have a ton of needs, pretty much everywhere, but they have tons of cap space and will likely leverage the #1 pick to get plenty of extra draft capital as well.  You don't see a lot of teams spend big in free agency and become overnight contenders, so I don't think they will become a playoff team in 2023, but I think they will likely make pretty big strides in 2023 from where they were this year.  

The first thing to look at would be who is missing the most important and hard to find pieces that make up a great team: head coach, QB, edge rushers, OL. Is there a team who has none of them?

The Texans seem to qualify. The currently do not have a head coach at all (although Ryans would definitely be a positive hire). No QB, no EDGE, 1 great OL, 1 good OL.

Colts absolutely qualify. No head coach, no QB, awful OL (even Nelson played poorly last year).

Bears qualify as well. Questionable head coach who hasn't proven anything yet, questionable QB, awful OL, no edge.

Those would probably be my top-3 most far away teams.

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Falcons should be looking to improve their QB play, so they're tough to judge currently. Chicago is handcuffed to a guy who ain't it and just gave up essentially a first round pick for chase Claypool.

They aint competing...

Desmond Ridder deserves a shot to improve and actually play with Kyle Pitts. I do think the Falcons need a WR2 and better slot options though. 

Justin Fields is the guy for the Bears though. Build him an OL.

58 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Thats my thought as well. From the bears perspective, obviously they have a ton of needs, pretty much everywhere, but they have tons of cap space and will likely leverage the #1 pick to get plenty of extra draft capital as well.  You don't see a lot of teams spend big in free agency and become overnight contenders, so I don't think they will become a playoff team in 2023, but I think they will likely make pretty big strides in 2023 from where they were this year.  

Agreed. Though, I do think a team like Atlanta could spend big on 2 guys and fill in the rest with competent, hungry players like they did this year and then draft to try and get some blue chippers.

On 1/27/2023 at 10:01 PM, Danger said:

Some of these teams not because of the sheer amount of talent they have on their team right now but just because they're window is closed and it's going to be some time before their window is open again.

Exactly, this question isnt who the worst teams are but rather teams that have a chance at catching lightning in a bottle and competing for a SB. Teams picking high could land their franchise QB and immediately contend for 3 years 

57 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

Colts absolutely qualify. No head coach, no QB, awful OL (even Nelson played poorly last year).

Bears qualify as well. Questionable head coach who hasn't proven anything yet, questionable QB, awful OL, no edge.

I agree.  The Colts (Aggregate Rankings:18th, but DVOA:32nd) fell off a cliff against daunting (5th) competition last year.  Worse yet, the Strength of Schedule charts that I've seen suggest it'll get even worse in 2023.  1-4-1 in that division is no badge of honor and beating the Texans ain't gonna get any easier.   

However, unlike Chicago (who are the furthest thing from "middling") and Houston, the core of a recently successful Indi team remains and hasn't aged out yet.  They do have decent draft capital (9th versus Jacksonville's 16th), though nowhere near as good as Chicago's (4th) or Houston's (1st).  Things aren't exactly rosy for the Titans (Agg:24th, DVOA:23rd, Draft Capital:21st, Dead Money:10th) either.  

The Colt finances seem reasonably good.  As much as I liked Frank Reich, dropping their Head Coach was addition by subtraction.  Pending their draft, I would not be at all surprised to see Indianapolis return to one-and-done contention in the still feeble AFC South.  They do need a top 24 QB, though.

40 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Desmond Ridder deserves a shot to improve and actually play with Kyle Pitts. I do think the Falcons need a WR2 and better slot options though. 

Justin Fields is the guy for the Bears though. Build him an OL

If ATL rolls with Ridder and CHI rolls with Fields, I'm very comfortable keeping them in the "furthest away from contending" group.