Which teams are farthest away from contention?

notthatbluestuff

Just now, scar988 said:

Ridder

Defense added a DT, LB and S so far in FA and are bringing back the guys who actually played well last year.

Coaching Staff has overperformed the talent winning 7 games back to back years with rosters that should have been 4-13 or worse.

Weapons could use another WR or 2, but Pitts, Jonnu, Patterson, Allgeier, and London are all good fits for what they do. 

I think you're really underrating a team that will end up in the 10-7 or 11-6 range this year.

Desmond Ridder has two career starts, he's a complete unknown. 

Added pieces but you had one of the worst defenses in the NFL last season, at best you're still probably below average. 

Patterson / Allgeier aren't anything to write home about, Jonnu sucks, but I do like London / Pitts.

Nothing about watching Arthur Smith last year screamed competent head coach.

20 hours ago, Dr A W Niloc said:

I would say the early lines on the Caleb-Maye Sweepstakes should list Carolina, Arizona, Chicago, Houston, Tennessee, and Denver (in that order).

Dark horses include New England, Green Bay, Washington, and Jacksonville (in no particular order).

Are you assuming Carolina trades back from #1?  They traded off their 2024 first rounder, unless they had another that I'm not aware of.

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Desmond Ridder has two career starts, he's a complete unknown. 

Added pieces but you had one of the worst defenses in the NFL last season, at best you're still probably below average. 

Patterson / Allgeier aren't anything to write home about, Jonnu sucks, but I do like London / Pitts.

Nothing about watching Arthur Smith last year screamed competent head coach.

He's had 4 career starts. This is how I know you've never actually seen him play.

Below average is still better than 29th. I'll take improvement from 29th to 20th this year.

Allgeier is a damn good back. PAtterson is a matchup nighmare. Jonnu was great in TEN with Arthur Smith. London and Pitts are excellent.

Arthur Smith turned a team that had a 2-15 roster into a 7-10 roster. How is that not competence at head coach? 

Just now, scar988 said:

He's had 4 career starts. This is how I know you've never actually seen him play.

Below average is still better than 29th. I'll take improvement from 29th to 20th this year.

Allgeier is a damn good back. PAtterson is a matchup nighmare. Jonnu was great in TEN with Arthur Smith. London and Pitts are excellent.

Arthur Smith turned a team that had a 2-15 roster into a 7-10 roster. How is that not competence at head coach? 

2 TD's in 4 career starts, dude is a future superstar. 

Below average isn't going to help you get 11-12 wins when your offense is going to be below average as well.

Allgeier is alright, Patterson is alright but he's old, Jonnu has sucked the last two seasons, and Smith showed no desire or ability to consistently get London or Pitts the ball last year. 

They went 7-9, 7-9, 4-12, and then 7-10, 7-10 with Smith, so to me he has just kept the same mediocre results going.

9 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

2 TD's in 4 career starts, dude is a future superstar. 

Below average isn't going to help you get 11-12 wins when your offense is going to be below average as well.

Allgeier is alright, Patterson is alright but he's old, Jonnu has sucked the last two seasons, and Smith showed no desire or ability to consistently get London or Pitts the ball last year. 

They went 7-9, 7-9, 4-12, and then 7-10, 7-10 with Smith, so to me he has just kept the same mediocre results going.

4 career starts as a rookie after not getting an QB1 practice snaps the first 13 weeks and in preseason because of their plan. And yeah, 2 TDs isn't great to start with, but he did lead two 4th quarter comebacks as a rookie. 

Offense was above average last year with less talent.

Old is fine. Jonnu was in the wrong system in NE. Issue wasn't Smith. It was Mariota who couldn't accurately get either guy the ball. Ridder was getting London the ball at a really good clip. In 4 games with Ridder, London got 36 targets, caught 25 of them for 333 yards. That's a pace of 106 catches on 150 targets for 1400 yards in a 17 game season. 

Same mediocre results, but again showing how little you know about the FAlcons, they had dead cap of $40M in 2021 and of $80M in 2022. Tough to win games with that much dead cap not letting you build out a real roster.

Just now, scar988 said:

4 career starts as a rookie after not getting an QB1 practice snaps the first 13 weeks and in preseason because of their plan. And yeah, 2 TDs isn't great to start with, but he did lead two 4th quarter comebacks as a rookie. 

Offense was above average last year with less talent.

Old is fine. Jonnu was in the wrong system in NE. Issue wasn't Smith. It was Mariota who couldn't accurately get either guy the ball. Ridder was getting London the ball at a really good clip. In 4 games with Ridder, London got 36 targets, caught 25 of them for 333 yards. That's a pace of 106 catches on 150 targets for 1400 yards in a 17 game season. 

Same mediocre results, but again showing how little you know about the FAlcons, they had dead cap of $40M in 2021 and of $80M in 2022. Tough to win games with that much dead cap not letting you build out a real roster.

The fact that he couldn't beat Mariota to me means one of two things: 1.) He's not very good or 2.) He's okay but Arthur Smith preferred to play a worse option because he's not a good coach. 

Offense was about average last year with literally the same personnel. 

7-9, 7-9, 4-12, 7-10, 7-10 isn't mediocre results? Arthur Smith just hasn't shown me anything to be inspired, if anything he has shown me the opposite. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

The fact that he couldn't beat Mariota to me means one of two things: 1.) He's not very good or 2.) He's okay but Arthur Smith preferred to play a worse option because he's not a good coach. 

Offense was about average last year with literally the same personnel. 

7-9, 7-9, 4-12, 7-10, 7-10 isn't mediocre results? Arthur Smith just hasn't shown me anything to be inspired, if anything he has shown me the opposite. 

OR a 3rd thing: Arthur Smith has a development plan and he wasn't going to waver from it, period.

Offense does need to add a WR2 and WR3. I'll agree there. Jonnu as a TE2 is an upgrade over PArker Hesse.

The Falcons roster was expected to go 4-13 in 2021, they went 7-10. In 2022, they were projected to be 2-15 and went 7-10. That's better results than expectations. How is being better than expectations bad or mediocre results? They knew the roster was terrible last year.

Just now, scar988 said:

OR a 3rd thing: Arthur Smith has a development plan and he wasn't going to waver from it, period.

Offense does need to add a WR2 and WR3. I'll agree there. Jonnu as a TE2 is an upgrade over PArker Hesse.

The Falcons roster was expected to go 4-13 in 2021, they went 7-10. In 2022, they were projected to be 2-15 and went 7-10. That's better results than expectations. How is being better than expectations bad or mediocre results? They knew the roster was terrible last year.

His development plan was to play a worse QB and lose games?

You were basically a 7-9 team before Smith and you've been a 7-10 team with him, lol.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

His development plan was to play a worse QB and lose games?

You were basically a 7-9 team before Smith and you've been a 7-10 team with him, lol.

I feel like I'm talking to a wall who won't actually consider someone else's perspective here. I feel like I'm trying to make this make sense, and you can't seem to understand what I'm saying in the first place. 

His plan was to get Ridder acclimated to the NFL and not play him too soon. In that, he succeeded. Unfortunately, it tanked the season.

Yeah, a 7-9 team with lots of big contracts to players who were older and/or mediocre and they needed to get out of those contracts and eat the dead cap hits the last two years. How are you not getting that they did a full on rebuild? Like, what are you missing here?

Just now, scar988 said:

I feel like I'm talking to a wall who won't actually consider someone else's perspective here. I feel like I'm trying to make this make sense, and you can't seem to understand what I'm saying in the first place. 

His plan was to get Ridder acclimated to the NFL and not play him too soon. In that, he succeeded. Unfortunately, it tanked the season.

Yeah, a 7-9 team with lots of big contracts to players who were older and/or mediocre and they needed to get out of those contracts and eat the dead cap hits the last two years. How are you not getting that they did a full on rebuild? Like, what are you missing here?

You hype the Falcons up every offseason. I think you got better so far, have to see how the draft plays out, I just personally don't believe that a team with Arthur Smith at HC and Ridder at QB is winning 11-12 games next year.

21 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Are you assuming Carolina trades back from #1?  They traded off their 2024 first rounder, unless they had another that I'm not aware of.

It took me a while to figure out what you were asking here.  Carolina will have the worst record in 2023, such that their pick with be #1 next year, irrespective of who (i.e. Chicago) actually owns it.

(FWIW, yes, Carolina will be trading back to #4 this year but that doesn't figure into this equation.)

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

You hype the Falcons up every offseason. I think you got better so far, have to see how the draft plays out, I just personally don't believe that a team with Arthur Smith at HC and Ridder at QB is winning 11-12 games next year.

Last offseason, I literally said anything better than 2-15 is a helluva coaching job by Arthur Smith. I wasn't expecting the FAlcons to be good at all this past year. Again, because they had $80M in dead cap and were in the middle of a rebuild.

Edited by scar988

12 minutes ago, Greene N White said:

The most likely team to get the first pick in 2024 IMO is the Arizona Cardinals if Kyler can't start the year. 

I could see it. I think the NFC South will be a 2020 NFC East style cluster preventing any of the teams from being outright bad. 

I'd play odds on one of the Cardinals or Rams depending on either QBs health. Texans might still be there. Colts?