Which teams are farthest away from contention?

notthatbluestuff

20 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Last offseason, I literally said anything better than 2-15 is a helluva coaching job by Arthur Smith. I wasn't expecting the FAlcons to be good at all this past year. Again, because they had $80M in dead cap and were in the middle of a rebuild.

So your expectation a year ago was 2-15 but Ridder and like three defensive players raises it to 12-5?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I could see it. I think the NFC South will be a 2020 NFC East style cluster preventing any of the teams from being outright bad. 

I'd play odds on one of the Cardinals or Rams depending on either QBs health. Texans might still be there. Colts?

I just see the scenario where if Kyler isn't ready to go for the first 2 months or so and the team is struggling to win games they could just shut him down for the rest of the year and not even bother. I tend to think it won't be the Rams just because they have a great coach. Texans and colts are definitely in the running as well.

• Like 1

Just now, Greene N White said:

I just see the scenario where if Kyler isn't ready to go for the first 2 months or so and the team is struggling to win games they could just shut him down for the rest of the year and not even bother. I tend to think it won't be the Rams just because they have a great coach. Texans and colts are definitely in the running as well.

True for the Rams. I'm just playing it out in the Cardinals scenario of Stafford is just hurt and cooked. 

6 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I could see it. I think the NFC South will be a 2020 NFC East style cluster preventing any of the teams from being outright bad. 

I'd play odds on one of the Cardinals or Rams depending on either QBs health. Texans might still be there. Colts?

Texans, Colts, Cardinals, Rams, Bears 

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

So your expectation a year ago was 2-15 but Ridder and like three defensive players raises it to 12-5?

9-8 or 10-7 is the expectation this year. Mainly because the defense will be improved. Which is important. The offense should be better with a QB that actually can develop chemistry with is receivers. And they actually aren't sitting on $80M in dead cap this year like they were last year. It's also because they're playing a relatively weak schedule this year:

Home Away
Green Bay Packers Chicago Bears
Minnesota Vikings Detroit Lions
Houston Texans Jacksonville Jaguars
Indianapolis Colts Tennessee Titans
Carolina Panthers Carolina Panthers
New Orleans Saints New Orleans Saints
Tampa Bay Buccaneers Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Washington Commanders Arizona Cardinals
  New York Jets

Packers and Vikings aren't very good, and we get them at home. Bears and Lions meh. AFC South is bad outside of Jacksonville. NFC South is bad. Commanders and CArdinals are expected to be bad again and the Jets, even with Aaron Rodgers, are still the Jets. It's a very weak schedule.

16 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Packers and Vikings aren't very good, and we get them at home. Bears and Lions meh. AFC South is bad outside of Jacksonville. NFC South is bad. Commanders and CArdinals are expected to be bad again and the Jets, even with Aaron Rodgers, are still the Jets. It's a very weak schedule.

Define bad again? Haven't won less than 7 games in three years and pretty much have the exact same situation as you all at QB with arguably an equal to better team.

1 hour ago, scar988 said:

9-8 or 10-7 is the expectation this year. Mainly because the defense will be improved. Which is important. The offense should be better with a QB that actually can develop chemistry with is receivers. And they actually aren't sitting on $80M in dead cap this year like they were last year. It's also because they're playing a relatively weak schedule this year:

Home Away
Green Bay Packers Chicago Bears
Minnesota Vikings Detroit Lions
Houston Texans Jacksonville Jaguars
Indianapolis Colts Tennessee Titans
Carolina Panthers Carolina Panthers
New Orleans Saints New Orleans Saints
Tampa Bay Buccaneers Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Washington Commanders Arizona Cardinals
  New York Jets

I love how everyone is meh or not very good except the team that's rolling with Desmond Ridder at QB. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, scar988 said:

I love how you've never watched him play and you're suddenly an expert on him.

The fact that Arthur Smith went through hell and high water to play Mariota over him for most of last season tells me everything that I need to know. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

The fact that Arthur Smith went through hell and high water to play Mariota over him for most of last season tells me everything that I need to know. 

You can't evaluate a player if you've never actually watched them play. Period. Congrats on literally talking from a place of zero research. this explains everything about our arguments on him. Until you go and actually watch him play, I have no interest in discussing him with you.

Just now, scar988 said:

You can't evaluate a player if you've never actually watched them play. Period. Congrats on literally talking from a place of zero research. this explains everything about our arguments on him. Until you go and actually watch him play, I have no interest in discussing him with you.

You said he showed enough that you can confidently assume the Falcons will be better than the Lions, Packers, and Vikings next year.

Just now, NYRaider said:

You said he showed enough that you can confidently assume the Falcons will be better than the Lions, Packers, and Vikings next year.

Yup. You haven't watched him. You can't make a judgment on a player you haven't watched.

Just now, scar988 said:

Yup. You haven't watched him. You can't make a judgment on a player you haven't watched.

It's crazy to me how the Falcons have so many good pieces, a great coaching staff, etc but still manage to be a bottom dweller. There's nothing Ridder showed that would make anyone confident that the Falcons will be better than the Lions or Vikings next year. 33rd team just did a QB ranking going into the offseason and had him at #32. 💀

• Like 1