Pre-Senior Bowl Mock

Just Want A Title

Despite the fact that the Lions have 5 picks in the top 63 creating a mock that solved most of the pressing needs for the Lions was tougher than I expected.  I am deliberately staying away from predicting which our our own free agents are re-signed.  That said:

Assumptions:

• We lose DJ Chark in free agency
  • Pre-June 1st Cut:  Michael Brockers
  • Post June 1st Cuts:  Charles Harris and Halapoulivaati
  • Net cap savings:  $25.5 million

Outside Free Agents:

LB Germaine Pratt:  The impact LB we need but will probably be less expensive than Tremaine Edmunds

CB Cameron Sutton:  An under-rated but pretty good CB who has played very well in the slot and on the outside.  A chess-piece CB that we really need

DT David Onyemata:  A remarkably consistent DT that should be a pretty good #3DT that should keep Alim McNeil and Isaiah Buggs more rested over the course of the season

WR Jakobi Myers:  Seems like a good #2/#3 WR that won't be too expensive.  It should take some of the pressure off of Jameson Williams to produce immediately

Draft:

1.  CB Devon Witherspoon:  He may not have the size of Christian Gonzalez but his recognition skills/football IQ are super-high.  His measurements and practice battles against Senior Bowl WRs should answer any remaining questions about him one way or the other.  I am very curious about his arm-length.  I don't see any potentially elite CB lasting until 18.  Favorite factoid from all of the stuff I have read on him:  his senior season had a similar grade to Sauce Garden's senior season.  

1.  RB Bijan Robinson:  The reason I put him here is that even though he plays a "de-valued position"  he has elite skills.  5'11, 220 lbs.  He has a great combination of power, speed, elusiveness (credited with over 100 missed tackles).  He he runs passing routes as good as some WRs.  Most importantly, his pass-blocking skills are pretty much NFL ready.  A RB with his skills will allow the Lions to run or pass from any formation at any time.  Ben Johnson will love having him in the offense.  Opposing defenses will hate trying to defend such a diverse offense.  He will also make life a lot easier for whoever ends up being our #2QB if Jared Goff goes down.

2.  DT Keeanu Benton:  He will complete our DT rotation.  He seems like a prospect that will be pretty good in a lot of areas and allow us to rotate our DTs a lot more.  This is a little  higher than most people project him now but I suspect he will put together a strong Senior Bowl and push his stock up.

2.  G Cooper Beebe  Andrew Vorhees:  Since Cooper Beebe is returning to school this pick is changing to Andrew Vorhees.  He is a good guard prospect in his own right and will start pretty early in his career.

3.  LB Owen Pappoe:  He is absurdly fast.  He should be a special teams demon from day 1.  I am not sure what was keeping his production down but his physical tools make this the right spot for him.  The Auburn football program isn't great right now so that could have impacted his development.

5. QB Tanner Mordecai  Aidan O'Connel:  Yet another pivot due to not keeping up with player news.  Adian O'Connel has the physical tools to be a #2QB.  He has plenty of arm strength and is accurate on short as well as intermediate throws.  Has struggled a bit on dealing with pressure but I think he has enough upside to make the jump to QB#2.  Much like Jared Goff, how well he does in that role will depend on the weapons around him.  The Lions will have enough weapons to just let him manage the game.

6. OT Demontrey Jacobs:  He checked in at the NFLPA bowl at 6'6, 311 Lbs, 36-inch arm length, 87 inch wingspan and 11 inch hands.  He reportedly has decent footwork also.  It is a big jump from playing at USF though.  He may not have the upside like Terron Armstead (picked at 75) but there is a lot to work with.  Get him in the building and let Hank Fraley do what he does best. 

https://steelersdepot.com/2023/01/2023-nflpa-collegiate-bowl-rosters-measurement-results-official-heights-weights/

6.  PK Jake Moody:  We need to settle our kicking game down.  He has plenty of big-game experience and should be nearly automatic on anything 50-yards or less.  Plan B:  Pry Daniel Carlson from the Raiders.

Tear it up!

Edited by Just Want A Title
Forgot something

One thing I should mention is that I projected the impact free agents for key positions on defense.  The Lions have a good coaching staff but I don't think they want to have so many rookies in key positions next year.  I deliberately drafted some of the same positions so that the rookies could learn in a limited role and not be forced to "be the guy" away.

22 minutes ago, dnely17 said:

Witherspoon is not participating in the Senior Bowl.  He announced he is withdrawing yesterday I believe and is no longer on the roster.  Wish he wasn't but I get it from a prospect's position.

It is disappointing but I can understand his decision.  He is already in the mix at CB#1 at this point.  If he can allay the concerns about his "thin frame" at there really isn't much holding him back