Carson Wentz v Trey Lance

stl4life07

Both came from North Dakota State. Both were drafted top 3 after two really good teams traded way up to get them. We know Wentz hasnt worked out and so far Lance hasnt worked out. Wentz got hurt and the backup Foles won the Superbowl that same season. Lance got hurt and the backup Purdy is two wins away from winning a Superbowl the same season. We know Foles isnt a starting caliber QB. Are we convinced long term Purdy will resemble looking like a starting QB? Im not. Just like Foles was that year in Philly, he was in the right place at the right time. Same with Purdy right now.

So we know Wentz got multiple chances after his failed tenure with Philly. We know Lance will get the same thing. Do you think he end up better long term than Wentz was or will suffer the same fate as Wentz? I just think its crazy that these two players imo are on the same path literally.

• Like 1

Lance is just a complete unknown. He is basically still a raw prospect and hasn't really played in 3 years.

If you loved him pre-draft, I think he has shown flashes of that potential. Anyone calling him a bust or not good is just ignorant and not aware of how this situation has played out

• Like 1

I mean if you want to say after 2 years into their career, clearly Wentz.

If you want to say current-day, easily Lance.   With only 1+ game under center before getting hurt, you don't know what he can do.     At this point in his career we know Carson Wentz isn't starter caliber anymore.

Edited by Broncofan

8 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I mean if you want to say after 2 years into their career, clearly Wentz.

If you want to say current-day, easily Lance.   With only 1+ game under center before getting hurt, you don't know what he can do.     At this point in his career we know Carson Wentz isn't starter caliber anymore.

This. We know Wentz sucks. Lance could be a superstar or he could suck. Anyone who would start Wentz over Lance is a buffoon. 

On 1/29/2023 at 3:34 PM, adamq said:

Lance is just a complete unknown. He is basically still a raw prospect and hasn't really played in 3 years.

If you loved him pre-draft, I think he has shown flashes of that potential. Anyone calling him a bust or not good is just ignorant and not aware of how this situation has played out

When has he really shown potential? One game against Houston?

He's looked terrible in preseason and in practice. SF was so uncomfortable with him as the starter they brought Jimmy back knowing the media drama it would create.

To say he's been a bust so far is perfectly reasonable.

• Like 1

As others have said they're not really comparable. Wentz was an MVP candidate for the best team in the league during his second season, Lance only has a few starts under his belt. If the 49ers get a season that Lance is as good as Wentz was in year 2, they'll be ecstatic.

Edited by NYRaider

On 2/3/2023 at 5:31 AM, NYRaider said:

As others have said they're not really comparable. Wentz was an MVP candidate for the best team in the league during his second season, Lance only has a few starts under his belt. If the 49ers get a season that Lance is as good as Wentz was in year 2, they'll be ecstatic.

One other thing worth noting...Carson Wentz's second year was his age 25 season. 

Lance's second year was his age 22 season. He was younger than every QB drafted in 2022 except Sam Howell. He's younger than several QBs in this draft including Will Levis, Tanner McKee, Hendon Hooker, Aiden O'Connell, etc. 

That being said...I'm pretty sure that Lance's career with the 49ers as a starter is probably done unless there is a major issue with Purdy's injury (either keeps him out to start the season or reduces his already limited physical toolset). He'll be a backup this year for the 49ers (again, Purdy injury dependent) and then likely traded before 2024. 

6 hours ago, Forge said:

One other thing worth noting...Carson Wentz's second year was his age 25 season. 

Lance's second year was his age 22 season. He was younger than every QB drafted in 2022 except Sam Howell. He's younger than several QBs in this draft including Will Levis, Tanner McKee, Hendon Hooker, Aiden O'Connell, etc. 

That being said...I'm pretty sure that Lance's career with the 49ers as a starter is probably done unless there is a major issue with Purdy's injury (either keeps him out to start the season or reduces his already limited physical toolset). He'll be a backup this year for the 49ers (again, Purdy injury dependent) and then likely traded before 2024. 

Lance will be the starter at some point in 2023… too talented not to be given a real chance. Purdy is good but he doesn’t have superstar potential. 

20 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Lance will be the starter at some point in 2023… too talented not to be given a real chance. Purdy is good but he doesn’t have superstar potential. 

It's out of his hands. To put it in football terms, he no longer controls his own destiny. 

In order to get real time, Purdy has to  get hurt, stay hurt (he's projected to be back around camp, but hard to project 6 month injuries like that), or just suck. 

Otherwise, he's the backup I think. If any of the above things happen, he has the chance to steal the job back...but he's going to need something outside of his control to happen to get that chance. 

You're not parking the real production in real games of Brock Purdy for the hypothetical of Lance without something happening negative happening on the Purdy side.