The championship round.

Iron_man

The two best/luckiest AFC and NFC teams face each other to determine who's going to the Superbowl. We got the San Francisco 49ers lead by Rookie Brock Purdy taking on Jalen Hurts and the Philadelphia Eagles at 2pm. Then at 5:30pm we have Joe Burrows and the Bengals are taking on Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs.

Who do you have for this fight? Also which WR will have the most yards out of the 4 teams? Chase? JuJu? Brown? debo?

Eagles win,  to much pressure, QB fairy tale comes to a end. Hurts neutralizes front seven and SF... weak in the secondary.

Bengals    KC presses, Mahomes running limited, Borrow destroys their secondary. Bengal play better defense.  KC has one weapon Kelce. KC will do a much better job covering than the Jags.

Most Yards Chase.

• Like 1

WOW, anyone watching Eagles vs 49ers and telling me Mac doesn't need an elite receiver .. I have no idea what you're watching. Eagles have TWO, 49ers have TWO, Bengals have TWO.. Patriots have none. 

Those catches from AJ Brown and Devonta Smith were awesome. Elite offense beats Elite defense nowadays

Edited by Crimmage

Further proof that you need at least one elite receiver to win in this league. Amazing plays left and right from Higgins and Chase this game. 

Chiefs are going to want to find a WR this offseason.. going to be hard for them.. not going to be much out there. They are in a similar situation to the Patriots, except they at least still have Kelce. He's 33 though, he could easily fall off at any moment.. they really need to get Mahomes some help. I could see them taking a chance on Jalin Hyatt in the first, they are one of the teams who should be able to scheme him open enough to make an impact. 

Unfortunately for the Patriots, I don't see what they can realistically do to get their receiving group to a championship level within a couple years. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

Unfortunately for the Patriots, I don't see what they can realistically do to get their receiving group to a championship level within a couple years. 

Depends if they can trade for a game breaker receiver or not going into their fifth year option. If they simply sign Jalen Guyton and acquire Jerry Jeudy or Tee Higgins to go with just one of Kendrick Bourne/DeVante Parker/Jakobi Meyers then those receivers are better just enough to where the Pats have what they need in that group offensively. Add in a tight end signing like Foster Moreau and a scat back with a new starting OT and I think Mac Jones under Bill O’Brien can develop enough into a sound QB that is capable of supporting a deep run into the playoffs next season.

Edited by DoleINGout
  • Like 1

Teams will see that you need at minimum 1 elite receiver to successful, more than likely 2 if you don't have a top 5 QB. A GM was already fired for trading their elite WR, I doubt we see another get traded. 

For instance, the Bengals.. why would they trade Higgins? Boyd, sure.. but not Higgins. If they want to resign Burrow, they aren't going to trade away one of his top guys. I feel like the Bengals are going to end up spending all their cash on the offense and trying to survive with a cheap defense because they aren't a big money franchise. At least that way they can be entertaining, keep Burrow happy and make some playoff money. 

Dallas will pay Lamb, Vikings will pay Jefferson (and on the off chance they don't Patriots wouldn't pay the huge price he would cost). Jerry Jeudy sounds possible, but with Wilson they can't afford to fully reset. Unfortunately, this draft (JSN/Flowers/Addison) doesn't have a WR on their level .. at least based on current projections. 

Tampa Bay without Brady will probably blow it up.. so maybe you can get Evans for cheap? I would consider throwing some money at Denzel Mims or Van Jefferson next off season but neither is an elite guy. 

6 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Denzel Mims

Heck No. He's exactly why I have my doubt on Thornton and Baylor WRs. They are completely unprepared for the NFL level. The only skill set needed at Baylor, run fast.

No one on the planet heard of Thornton before the combine. He wasn't even a sleeper.

He supersized me at the start of the season however that went away as the season progressed. I just hope the new offensive staff can get something out of him. Thorton should be in class right now, theory of (WR) football 101 !!!

What I gathered watching the game last night.The most important position on the field is OL, without it, the Pats don't have a chance, even with the greatest WRs in the NFL.    The only way Cinci  WRs  look so good ( you should know what i mean here) is becasue they have fantastic/ gifted QB.  This is no way a knock on Mac or for the other 29 NFL QB  its just they way it is, there are only two QBs and all the rest.

Also I'm sick of the Pats excuses with the cap. KC lost in the playoffs there OL was awful. The next year they sign Thuney, trade for a OT and draft the best center in college while Mahomes is making 500+!!!!!  Pat's have no excuses when it comes to the cap. Yes, they signed Judon however look at the crap they spent on offense, wasted millions.

I have to ask why not any OL when you had 100+ cap to spend. What the heck kind of future plan did they have where they draft a small school OG to fill a DESPERATE need they created!!! And why spend it on two TE's and on one that everyone said,  was not utilized in Tenn...now you can see why!!!!!!!!!! Some will say we had guys on the OL, I say how many of you trusted what they had. EX Winn has been in the hospital the day after signing his rookie deal !!!!!!!!! Also when did they know they weren't going to extend, what the last year!!!!  How many said T Brown was fine because of low contract or settle for what he gives you.  Me every game/ year, my thought,  I hope he wants to play!!!!

Last  I'm depressed after my comments. 😁  This draft and FA is extremely weak for the Pats biggest needs.  The  OL IMO are crap in the 1st RD, even the highest rated.  MOF the number one rated, Peter Skoronski , many say he should be a OG in the NFL.

Now look at WRs,  there are like, 2 or 3 worth a 1st or 2nd pick!!!!!!!

I call this Patriots luck.  We have a high pick and we have to take a CB which is the strongest position on the team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

Heck No. He's exactly why I have my doubt on Thornton and Baylor WRs. They are completely unprepared for the NFL level. The only skill set needed at Baylor, run fast.

No one on the planet heard of Thornton before the combine. He wasn't even a sleeper.

He supersized me at the start of the season however that went away as the season progressed. I just hope the new offensive staff can get something out of him. Thorton should be in class right now, theory of (WR) football 101 !!!

It's all about coaching, Mims and Thornton have talent.. but they've been given no favors. I saw Mims actually making some plays last season.. I have a feeling he and Moore will have a breakout this year with a new OC once they get rid of Davis. Their receiving group is scary tbo. With regards to Thornton.. what we saw early in camp was who he was coming in. Patricia made a mess of the offense which made him look awful.. I'm confident he will look much better with O'Brien. 

What I gathered watching the game last night.The most important position on the field is OL, without it, the Pats don't have a chance, even with the greatest WRs in the NFL.    The only way Cinci  WRs  look so good ( you should know what i mean here) is becasue they have fantastic/ gifted QB.  This is no way a knock on Mac or for the other 29 NFL QB  its just they way it is, there are only two QBs and all the rest.

That's the funny thing.. I see it differently. Even with a horrendous OL the Bengals should have won that game because their QB and receivers made huge plays. They got screwed by the refs and had a player make a foolish play to lose the game in the end. Don't take that a s me saying OL doesn't matter.. I'm more saying you need both. 

In order to reach the Super Bowl in 2023+, you need: 

• Good coaching to maximize the talent on the team
  • Top 10 Receiver Group 
  • Top 10 OL Group 
  • I'll be generous and say top 15 QB
  • Top 15 Defense ( KC defense is probably right around there) 

Thankfully for the Patriots, assuming Mac at least goes back to his rookie form.. they could have 3 of those today. They need to get lucky to fix the 2nd and 3rd though.. nobody is going to give up Receiver/OL talent for nothing. 

Last  I'm depressed after my comments. 😁  This draft and FA is extremely weak for the Pats biggest needs.  The  OL IMO are crap in the 1st RD, even the highest rated.  MOF the number one rated, Peter Skoronski , many say he should be a OG in the NFL.

Yup, if they want OL round 1.. they have to reach unfortunately. 

Now look at WRs,  there are like, 2 or 3 worth a 1st or 2nd pick!!!!!!!

They can get a #1 guy in the first.. i'm just not convinced he would be an elite tier #1 guy. This draft lacks depth in that 2-4 round range at WR. Everyone is either getting pushed up to the first or is a day 3 project. 

I call this Patriots luck.  We have a high pick and we have to take a CB which is the strongest position on the team.

Yup, and in a draft where you could find starters on day 3. As much as I like those top guys.. it would be hard for me to take one at 14 seeing how the playoffs unfold. The league is won on offense nowadays, great offense beats great defense.. we saw it on multiple plays this weekend. 

I'm confident the Patriots can put together a Championship level defense next year ( I feel they had one this year) .. but i'm not currently seeing the path to the offense without 2-3 years of drafts focused on offense high.

21 hours ago, Crimmage said:

It's all about coaching, Mims and Thornton have talent

I agree they have physical talent its the mental talent I have a problem with, they are just learning the game at the NFL level, that, to me, is a major problem. You give a great example MIms making something happen... it took what 4/5 years and he still nothing special. That's a 2nd RD pick should be a day one starter.  EX I'm not saying they are track stars but it's like teaching one. Class 101 needed. You can't waste high choices on project when you team is desperate for talent.

Yup, and in a draft where you could find starters on day 3.

Ya thanks for the kick in the nuts!!!!!  Here I am depressed and here you are pouring gas!!!!!!!!! 🤣😁👍

They can get a #1 guy in the first.. i'm just not convinced he would be an elite tier #1 guy.

I'm going to disagree here. 

I see Flowers as a elite however will he be with the Pats???? Will they run the same boring offense with BB input or let BOB run the Bama offense.  I'm not sure if BB believes in Mac, if he does he has a strange way of showing it.   Here one for you, I saw a few mocks with the Bills drafting Flowers!!!!! I read that and my reaction was, oh crap.

Also JSN is a elite WR, my problem is as a slot WR.  I don't see taking a slot guy when you can get one later.  Now if we were the Pats loaded with Brady, I jump all over the player.  A WR has to have speed for me to even consider using a 1st RD pick. Yes there are exceptions,  but I rather not gamble. Last, it's easier to find a guy that quick than one with both, that can play.  Once your out of the 1st the game breakers WRs are harder to find. I'm talking Hill, Waddle types. I call them scare the crap out of you WR.

Note I know Hill was not a 1st RD pick however he just a example, when your looking for a WR in the 1ST RD.  

22 hours ago, Crimmage said:

I'm confident the Patriots can put together a Championship level defense next year ( I feel they had one this year)

That a tough one, I'm not so sure.  You kind of put yourself in a bind with this statement.

22 hours ago, Crimmage said:

but i'm not currently seeing the path to the offense without 2-3 years of drafts focused on offense high.

There are still major holes that need addressing before the can dominate, which is needed if you have BB offense and don't have TB to cover his butt.

You need a S, CB, LB and someone with Barmore. I don't think they can go anywhere with what they currently have. Some teams exposed us last year especially over the middle. Lb coverage is average at best. Also you have a major hole on defense if you have Byrant starting.

Sorry for the kick in the nuts!!!!  You deserved it!!!!! 😁🤣👍