Dolphins hire Vic Fangio as DC

RaidersAreOne

22 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

isn't/wasn't silver a 49ers beat writer?

either way I'm not certain I believe a claim that he was talking directly to Vic Fangio late in the night. while nothing is 100% certain until he officially signs, pretty much everyone else is reporting its agreed to in principle already.

then again, this isn't the first report fangio is still mulling over his options either (the first was just a few hours after the initial news broke). would be a big loss for us if we somehow lost out on getting him, for sure.

1 minute ago, TheKillerNacho said:

isn't/wasn't silver a 49ers beat writer?

either way I'm not certain I believe a claim that he was talking directly to Vic Fangio late in the night. while nothing is 100% certain until he officially signs, pretty much everyone else is reporting its agreed to in principle already.

then again, this isn't the first report fangio is still mulling over his options either (the first was just a few hours after the initial news broke). would be a big loss for us if we somehow lost out on getting him, for sure.

Silver is a 49ers beat writer now (SF Chronicle), but he was a national writer for years. He was NFL Network reporter for nearly a decade. Sports Illustrated, etc. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Silver is a 49ers beat writer now (SF Chronicle), but he was a national writer for years. He was NFL Network reporter for nearly a decade. Sports Illustrated, etc. 

still, it sounds a bit like the wishful thinking reporting of a beat writer to me than anything else.

who still needs a HC that is rumored to be most interested in Ryans, anyway? houston?

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

still, it sounds a bit like the wishful thinking reporting of a beat writer to me than anything else.

who still needs a HC that is rumored to be most interest in Ryans, anyway?

He's definitely not a wishful thinking guy. He doesn't operate like that. And he certainly has sources....but whether i believe him is a completely different story. He's been wrong often (including being one of the very many, "Mac Jones at 3" guys) 

Ryans is almost certainly going to be the next Houston coach. 

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

He's definitely not a wishful thinking guy. He doesn't operate like that. And he certainly has sources....but whether i believe him is a completely different story. He's been wrong often (including being one of the very many, "Mac Jones at 3" guys) 

Ryans is almost certainly going to be the next Houston coach. 

well he specifically said he talked to Fangio "late last night" which seems... rather unlikely, to me.

8 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

well he specifically said he talked to Fangio "late last night" which seems... rather unlikely, to me.

There's no reason for me to believe that he doesn't have access to talk directly to Fangio (especially given that Vic still hangs out with the 49ers staff and whatnot). Silver has been doing this for a long time. 

I also don't always trust what Silver says. 

It's a weird spot. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

There's no reason for me to believe that he doesn't have access to talk directly to Fangio (especially given that Vic still hangs out with the 49ers staff and whatnot). Silver has been doing this for a long time. 

I also don't always trust what Silver says. 

It's a weird spot. 

He could also be doing Fangio a solid with negotiating with the dolphins. Using the 49ers relationship as the weapon. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

He could also be doing Fangio a solid with negotiating with the dolphins. Using the 49ers relationship as the weapon. 

The only reason this seems a bit farfetched is that is was already reported that the Dolphins were going to make him the highest paid DC in the league. Obviously, there is always more money.... but there was already a pretty clear bidding war for his services before the Niners entered the market.

We should get more clarity on the situation when Ryans official goes to the Texans.

On 1/29/2023 at 2:58 PM, Ozzy said:

Bad to the bone, best DC out there.  I am surprised he would come back for just a DC job but again he is easily the best one available and has tons of talent to work with.  Great talent on the DL, two star edge rushers, star defensive backs, if they can get a decent slot corner and another ILB in the draft they could be very solid.  

copycat?  Well I will tell you this much, Vic Fangio is way the hell better than freaking Ed Donatell!

With Vic his last three stops the 49ers, Bears and Broncos all of those defenses were outstanding and played elite level defense.  The dude can coach defense!

with the talent they have there, it could be formidable .