Dolphins hire Vic Fangio as DC

RaidersAreOne

6 hours ago, ET80 said:

So is this a done deal or nah?

unknown at this point. probably will stay unknown until he either signs on the dotted line (which may not be until after the Super Bowl due to being an advisor with the Eagles) or it's reported he's interviewing elsewhere (which may not happen until when/if DeMeco Ryans gets hired as a HC).

it's presumably down to Miami or SF though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Broncofan said:

I guess it’s official?  Kinda?  Lol guess not until after the SB.  

This is what I assumed initially as it isn't uncommon for deals to be actually signed a week or longer after agreeing to terms. Especially when that coach is still working with another team whose season is still ongoing (even as merely a consultant).

Hope this is for real, for real though. I'd rather just go with another candidate than continue enduring this roller coaster.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

This is what I assumed initially as it isn't uncommon for deals to be actually signed a week or longer after agreeing to terms. Especially when that coach is still working with another team whose season is still ongoing (even as merely a consultant).

Hope this is for real, for real though. I'd rather just go with another candidate than continue enduring this roller coaster.

If he backed off again you’re better off without him.  Top 5 DC but if he doesn’t want to be there or keeps looking at other opps always better to look elsewhere.    Wanting to be there matters a ton.  

Having said that if he’s there it can only help the D.  Massive underperformance last year.  Just don’t let him sniff HC he’s overmatched there - and he’s so surly you don’t want him in charge lol. 

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

If he backed off again you’re better off without him.  Top 5 DC but if he doesn’t want to be there or keeps looking at other opps always better to look elsewhere.    Wanting to be there matters a ton.  

Having said that if he’s there it can only help the D.  Massive underperformance last year.  Just don’t let him sniff HC he’s overmatched there - and he’s so surly you don’t want him in charge lol. 

That's what I said in the Dolphins forum yesterday.

Honestly the longer it went on the more I was suspecting he was waiting to see if Gannon got a HC job and that the other position he was considering was replacing him as Eagles DC (which many theorized was the reason the Eagles brought him on as a consultant in the first place, given that Gannon was a HC candidate last year too). SF and Denver never made much sense to me.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

That's what I said in the Dolphins forum yesterday.

Honestly the longer it went on the more I was suspecting he was waiting to see if Gannon got a HC job and that the other position he was considering was replacing him as Eagles DC (which many theorized was the reason the Eagles brought him on as a consultant in the first place, given that Gannon was a HC candidate last year too). SF and Denver never made much sense to me.

SF running a 4-3 seems a weird fit.  No argument.   DEN too soon.  Which at his age means probably never.   Wade Phillips came back as DC after failing as HC but that was almost 20 years later.  Kinda different than this.  

Edited by Broncofan

4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

SF running a 4-3 seems a weird fit.  No argument.   DEN too soon.  Which at his age means probably never.   Wade Phillips came back as DC after failing as HC but that was almost 20 years later.  Kinda different than this.  

There's definitely been more than a few coaches that later returned to a team they were formerly a HC with as an assistant but yeah, nothing even close to as short as a year later (to say nothing of that team still having the same FO that fired them).

SF seemed like a poor scheme fit and I doubted pretty heavily Shanahan would poach a coach from his close friend McDaniel like that.