The Niners have a great future regardless

Championshiporbust

On 1/29/2023 at 3:20 PM, pf9 said:

Purdy will be a one-season wonder like Tim Tebow.

Tebow was never good even in 2011, Purdy might fall back to earth after this year, especially if his arm never fully recovers from the UCL injury, but that's a pretty weird comparison

Edited by jonnguy2015
  • Like 2

On 1/29/2023 at 6:35 PM, 43M said:

I think Purdy's future is as a solid backup.  

I dont think Brady or Rodgers end up in SF.  And if they do, I dont think it goes the way they might hope.

Trey Lance is the QB in 2023.   You cant give up what the 49ers gave up for Lance and not give him his chance.   They should have a decent vet QB on standby.   Not sure theyll get one better than say...Jacoby Brissett, though.

GB isn't going to send Rodgers to SF for their 3rd round pick.  I would hope Packers' management gets more for him than that if they are actively talking about a trade.

21 minutes ago, Pugger said:

GB isn't going to send Rodgers to SF for their 3rd round pick.  I would hope Packers' management gets more for him than that if they are actively talking about a trade.

I dont see it happening at all.   Its in conference and the 9ers invested too much in Lance.   Trading for Rodgers would essentially be giving up on him.

If Rodgers were to get traded, Id imagine it would be to the AFC to a team like Las Vegas or the Jets.

On 1/30/2023 at 12:00 AM, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

They still have a massive question mark at QB. 

And they don't have the money for a ronin from another team.  They will have to draft a [backup] QB [who will start soon enough, given the injury history].

The good news is that the talking heads were right about 2023 being a bumper crop of QBs, even though they were wrong to focus entirely on the top three.  It isn't saying much, but the seventh best 2023 QB is better than the second best--arguably better than the best--2022 offering.  Yes, better than Brock Purdy, who proved more than adequate for the task.  49er fans can hope that one of the magnificent seven will still be around when San Fran has its compensatory picks, #100 and #102.

On 1/30/2023 at 2:28 AM, BayRaider said:

They don’t need a QB. Lance has superstar potential and Purdy is a capable starting NFL QB. They will roll with both next year and go with the hot hand throughout the season. 

"If you have two quarterbacks, you don't have one."

Regardless, SF is stuck in a neutral. Purdy is bound to regress to the mean and we all know how I feel about Lance. Brady is no longer an option and there's no chance GB would trade Rodgers to them.

They need a QB and right now they have two guys who are very young that had major early career setbacks. Nobody knows if Lance will ever develop to his potential or if Purdy can sustain some of the good stuff he showed over a few games last year (Nick Foles didn't for instance). 

10 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

What does their OL look like if Williams retires? Are they totally screwed or do they have some pieces? 

Based on the sketchy data we have, they'd be okay in pass protection with Colton McKivitz but would take a hit in carcass removal, even with Jaylon Moore.

54 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

What does their OL look like if Williams retires? Are they totally screwed or do they have some pieces? 

Obviously would be a huge loss. If Trent retired, I'd assume that they would double down efforts to bring back mcg.  The line would be fine I'd guess. The quality of a line is more about your weakest link than the strongest. 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2023 at 10:00 PM, TecmoSuperJoe said:

He won't be getting paid that much due to injury/age. If any team that is a QB away is going to start drawing lines in the sand, and start lowballing, then they don't want to win. Even average QBs get overpaid a bit, due to the importance of the position. 

FWIW Spotrac has his market value at 4 yr/$139M ($34M APY).