Chiefs vs Eagles in Super Bowl LVII

vike daddy

Just now, JDBrocks said:

It was clear holding, and the db admitted it was, but I do wish that they would've let it go. 

He tugged a little, but I don't think it really impacted the play at all, since it was so far overthrown.  There's no way he would have caught up to it.    

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

He tugged a little, but I don't think it really impacted the play at all, since it was so far overthrown.  There's no way he would have caught up to it.    

The hold happened before the ball was thrown, otherwise it would've been a PI call. He tugged his jersey because he got beat on the whip, I think Mahomes saw it and threw it that way to make sure - he looked like he knew it was coming the whole time. 

Again - I would've let it go, but it was the correct call.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

It was clear holding, and the db admitted it was, but I do wish that they would've let it go. 

The problem is that it hadn’t been called all game. I’ll look for the tweet to give credit to the author, but someone said it best that players play to the game that is being called. They adjust to how officials officiate the game.

Players, for both teams, were being allowed to play physical for 58 minutes. And there was nothing from the Bradberry play to suggest that he was playing that receiver any differently than anyone else throughout the game. 

So, yes, as the rule is written it was a hold. But for how the entire game had been called, it was an inconsistent, and therefor bad, call. 

• Like 2

i've never really understood why we as fans get so upset with "bad" calls from the refs. sometimes they, *gasp*, make mistakes. mistakes that might even influence the outcome of the game.

but the athletes make mistakes too that influence the outcome of the game. we are disappointed by those (or overjoyed) but we accept them as part of the game, the human element. heck, we even have stats that keep track of them.

why do we expect the refs to be perfect?

Edited by vike daddy

12 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i've never really understood why we as fans get so upset with "bad" calls from the refs. sometimes they, *gasp*, make mistakes. mistakes that might even influence the outcome of the game.

but the athletes make mistakes too that influence the outcome of the game. we are disappointed by those (or overjoyed) but we accept them as part of the game, the human element. heck, we even have stats that keep track of them.

why do we expect the refs to be perfect?

I personally just believe, as in the last few minutes of a basketball game, in the last 2-3 minutes of the game unless it's outright egregious, you swallow the whistle. Players certainly make mistakes, and so do officials...can't expect them to be perfect (I never do), but they know as well as we do what time it is in the game, and they have the control to let things go or make the call.  In this particular instance, I don't feel it was egregious enough to make the call. 

Butker could have still made the FG regardless, since he was in range, but it certainly would have given Philly a greater opportunity to tie it up again.  However a bigger point is that Philly does need another QB on the bench to throw up Hail Marys, as they should never let Hurts try again.  😂

Edited by swede700

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I personally just believe, as in the last few minutes of a basketball game, in the last 2-3 minutes of the game unless it's outright egregious, you swallow the whistle. 

and boom, by doing that you encourage the players to step over the line of fair play, to gain an advantage. then we get teams hiring Rule Allowance Advisors on the coaching staff.

no thank you.

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

and boom, by doing that you encourage the players to step over the line of fair play, to gain an advantage. then we get teams hiring Rule Allowance Advisors on the coaching staff.

no thank you.

I don't think that'd happen.  For many years, it was basically an unwritten rule to swallow the whistle and it happened rarely that officials influenced the outcomes in the final moments (although it certainly still happened).  It's only a recent phenomenon that officials have done so, and I largely think that is because they've been pressured by their NFL bosses and the "rating system."  Back in the day, they had a lot more security in their positions, which allowed them that opportunity to not care as much.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

and by the way, congrats to Jerrick McKinnon for not only being on a SB winning team, but having a significant contribution.

I was thinking on that last rushing play about how excruciating that must be - maybe his only chance at scoring a touchdown in a super bowl, and of course you do it for the team, but the end zone is right there and you can't cross the goal line.

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

I was thinking on that last rushing play about how excruciating that must be - maybe his only chance at scoring a touchdown in a super bowl, and of course you do it for the team, but the end zone is right there and you can't cross the goal line.

true, but i bet he was shown more respect by his coaches and the players in the know for what he did, than he would have got for a td.

• Like 1

To say it shouldn't have been called is a bit shortsighted.
The holding call prevented a first down or a straight TD.

If no call is made, they would have either went for it on 4th or taken a FG.
If you take the FG, it would give Philly a real opportunity to win the game with about 90 seconds plus ~ 1 timeout.

The call had to be made.
Bradbury (if losing leverage) coould have given up the catch/TD, and they still have ~90 seconds and a timeout to tie/win.

• Like 1