Chiefs vs Eagles in Super Bowl LVII

vike daddy

1 minute ago, vike daddy said:

true, but i bet he was shown more respect by his coaches and the players in the know for what he did, than he would have got for a td.

100% - a championship ring is worth more than a TD ever could be. In the moment it has to be one of those "dang... so close" moments.

21 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

To say it shouldn't have been called is a bit shortsighted.
The holding call prevented a first down or a straight TD.

If no call is made, they would have either went for it on 4th or taken a FG.
If you take the FG, it would give Philly a real opportunity to win the game with about 90 seconds plus ~ 1 timeout.

The call had to be made.
Bradbury (if losing leverage) coould have given up the catch/TD, and they still have ~90 seconds and a timeout to tie/win.

I just disagree, but others can feel to disagree with me.  There was about a 0.1% chance that the WR catches up to that ball even without the holding because of where it was thrown.  The call did not have to be made.  Either way, it's all a moot point.  Philly fans can be upset all they want over that call and I won't feel one slight iota of empathy for them.  They don't deserve that.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

It was a bad call.  I don’t really care what the DB “admitted” to. What else is he supposed to say with the entire world watching? 

Also, no one expects the refs to be perfect but they let that physical play go for the entire game, and then with 1:54 left or whatever it was, they decide to call it? No one expects perfection but the constant dogs** officiating that we’ve been subject to, is completely deserving of the criticism, and more.  

Again, it was a good game but the refs should never have such a titanic influence on the biggest game of the year. 

The DB also could have not committed a foul and the pass as thrown wouldn't have been complete. Don't blame the refs for the DB deciding to commit a penalty because he was going to get cooked on that route.

I fully appreciate the game flow and consistency argument, but to say "titanic influence" is so overly dramatic.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

Where does Andy Reid sit in the pantheon of head coaches? 10 Conference championship games, 4 conference Championships, 2 NFL championships. With 2 different franchises.

He's got to be 2nd all-time in my lifetime, I'm 33, with Belichick the clear #1. I think the bigger question is does he retire on top?

11 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

He's got to be 2nd all-time in my lifetime, I'm 33, with Belichick the clear #1. I think the bigger question is does he retire on top?

I'm not sure where to put Andy Reid...he and Belichick are far and away the top 2 of the last 25 years, but how do you factor in the earlier ones?  I'm pretty sure Bill Walsh could have adapted to today's QBs...Shula and Landry may have not, but they got in nearly as many playoff games as Reid with less games available (although certainly there was more opportunity to make them)...and Chuck Noll may have taken advantage of getting into the playoffs more than anyone.    Reid is clearly in the top 10 of all-time coaches, but where you rank him is up for debate.  I was around for all of them (at least in their later years in the case of Noll, Landry and Shula).

Edited by swede700

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I just disagree, but others can feel to disagree with me.  There was about a 0.1% chance that the WR catches up to that ball even without the holding because of where it was thrown.  The call did not have to be made.  Either way, it's all a moot point.  Philly fans can be upset all they want over that call and I won't feel one slight iota of empathy for them.  They don't deserve that.  

The ref throws the holding flag when he sees holding, not after the pass is thrown. He's also not watching the rest of the play, he's watching the DB / WR interaction.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

I personally just believe, as in the last few minutes of a basketball game, in the last 2-3 minutes of the game unless it's outright egregious, you swallow the whistle. Players certainly make mistakes, and so do officials...can't expect them to be perfect (I never do), but they know as well as we do what time it is in the game, and they have the control to let things go or make the call.  In this particular instance, I don't feel it was egregious enough to make the call. 

Butker could have still made the FG regardless, since he was in range, but it certainly would have given Philly a greater opportunity to tie it up again.  However a bigger point is that Philly does need another QB on the bench to throw up Hail Marys, as they should never let Hurts try again.  😂

You let one side get an advantage by not playing by the rules? That makes no sense. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

I don't think that'd happen.  For many years, it was basically an unwritten rule to swallow the whistle and it happened rarely that officials influenced the outcomes in the final moments (although it certainly still happened).  It's only a recent phenomenon that officials have done so, and I largely think that is because they've been pressured by their NFL bosses and the "rating system."  Back in the day, they had a lot more security in their positions, which allowed them that opportunity to not care as much.  

Not calling a penalty IS influencing the outcome. Why let one team not play by the rules? That IS LITERALLY influencing the outcome.

• Like 1

Just now, PrplChilPill said:

You let one side get an advantage by not playing by the rules? That makes no sense. 

I don't view it that way.  They let one side get an advantage by calling a ticky-tack call.  I say let the players just play.  Even Greg Olsen agreed with me in that scenario, even after Mike Pereira voiced what you guys indicated.