2023 Free Agency Thread

e16bball

14 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I’d keep an eye on Seattle if Geno doesn’t return. He gets to stay on the west coast and Seattle has weapons. It’s a good landing spot for him in a surprise kinda move. 

I hadn't heard that yet, so that would be interesting. I personally don't see it happening (nor do I think it's in Geno's best interest to leave), but Catt leaving for Seattle would be something.

21 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

I hadn't heard that yet, so that would be interesting. I personally don't see it happening (nor do I think it's in Geno's best interest to leave), but Catt leaving for Seattle would be something.

Yeah it would all be based on Geno leaving. I'm still not sold on what Geno did last year. Developing this late in your career is quite rare. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, IHatesnyder said:

Again 

Orlando brown Jr my number 1 target in free agency 

I don't want them spending the Daron Payne money on him. He hasn't been exactly great since leaving Baltimore. For me, I would prioritize Mike McGlinchey and re-sign Payne. I'd much rather Have Leno, McGlinchey and Cosmi to build around than just Orlando Brown and being forced to cut Charles Leno. Give me Michael Mayer in the first and then John Michael Schmitz and Andrew Vorhees in the draft and now we're cooking. 

Hopefully we hear of Carson Wentz impending release soon.

Gotta clear that 28M off the books.

I think we should cut Logan Thomas, too. His age, injuries & bad year should justify that.

With Cole Turner developing, a deep draft at TE & Free Agency looming. I would be absolutely shocked, if they held onto him.

Not to mention Bates here as well.

On 2/17/2023 at 9:37 PM, lavar703 said:

I don't want them spending the Daron Payne money on him. He hasn't been exactly great since leaving Baltimore. For me, I would prioritize Mike McGlinchey and re-sign Payne. I'd much rather Have Leno, McGlinchey and Cosmi to build around than just Orlando Brown and being forced to cut Charles Leno. Give me Michael Mayer in the first and then John Michael Schmitz and Andrew Vorhees in the draft and now we're cooking. 

We are imo likely letting go of Montez sweat and Holcomb imo.   Payne will get a huge contract and I agree with  you on what you  said on the last sentence . As for brown he’s going to be franchise tagged . 

Edited by IHatesnyder

I love this offseason plan. Very much similar to what I’m thinking as well. 

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I really like the idea of using FA to target a RT. Would be a good-sized expenditure, but you’re not going to break the bank on even a top-end McGlinchey type. The hope is that spending that money actually allows you to fill two spots with quality starters by kicking Cosmi inside — while also leaving money to franchise Payne if need be, and hopefully to extend Kam Curl as well. He is every bit as important to this defense as Payne is, in my view. 

Love the idea of using round 2 to address the interior OL with a good prospect there as well, and double up on new starters. One of the things that becomes more and more clear is that having 5 solid/good starters is more important than having a couple stars. It’s hard to envision a world in which JM Schmitz isn’t at least a solid starter, and you should certainly be able to come up with some combo of decent LG/C combo between Schmitz, Norwell, Paul, Roullier, and Larsen. 

My big concern with that draft would be missing out on CB on the first two days. There’s a ton of talent at that spot in this draft class, and it would sure be nice to get a guy who could eventually step into Fuller’s spot.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, e16bball said:

I love this offseason plan. Very much similar to what I’m thinking as well. 

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I really like the idea of using FA to target a RT. Would be a good-sized expenditure, but you’re not going to break the bank on even a top-end McGlinchey type. The hope is that spending that money actually allows you to fill two spots with quality starters by kicking Cosmi inside — while also leaving money to franchise Payne if need be, and hopefully to extend Kam Curl as well. He is every bit as important to this defense as Payne is, in my view. 

Love the idea of using round 2 to address the interior OL with a good prospect there as well, and double up on new starters. One of the things that becomes more and more clear is that having 5 solid/good starters is more important than having a couple stars. It’s hard to envision a world in which JM Schmitz isn’t at least a solid starter, and you should certainly be able to come up with some combo of decent LG/C combo between Schmitz, Norwell, Paul, Roullier, and Larsen. 

My big concern with that draft would be missing out on CB on the first two days. There’s a ton of talent at that spot in this draft class, and it would sure be nice to get a guy who could eventually step into Fuller’s spot.

I guess my big issue with corner is I really like Christian Gonzalez the most and I think he’s long gone by 16 along with Witherspoon. I actually think there could be a run on corners from about 7 to 15. I think when we select we’ll be left with Porter Jr and Ringo as the best available. If they’re dead set on corner I’d try to move down and get an extra third and just reach a bit for Emmanuel Forbes. 

• Like 1

On 2/13/2023 at 11:27 AM, lavar703 said:

If people think the fans would be bad calling for Heinicke wait til you see what happens if they sign Baker. The moment Howell struggles this fanbase would go nuts. 

I’d sure hope not, but this is definitely true. We have a very erratic fanbase which is understandable bc we haven’t been a Super Bowl contender in 30 years but on the other hand, smart football fans - which I think this fanbase has a lot of - know that it takes years of starting for a QB to become a good starter in the NFL. So, I’d Howell struggled some, you’d hope people would have the patience to let him develop but, it would probably end up being a Kirk Cousins situation.

On 2/13/2023 at 11:31 AM, Scott Land said:

I'm all for going after Carr. I really think he's someone who can help Terry get to the next level and get the true recognition he deserves and he will have a break out year. I'm tired of wasting our best wide receiver that I've ever seen us have (I'm not that old). With that being said I don't know if he'd even want to come to Washington with our current situation unless we hire EB and get our new owner sooner rather than later. Dan ain't paying anyone right now, if he is in fact selling, and if he isn't going to sell, well then no one is going to come. 

I don’t think Carr moves the needle much. He’s a mediocre starter. He’s a QB who’s good enough to get you into playoff contention or to be a wild card playoff team but not good enough to win you playoff games. 

It’s true that’s better than what we’ve had since we let Kirk walk, but is Carr worth $35-40 million a year to win us 1 or 2 more games but to then lose of the first round of the playoffs? 

IMO no, it’s not worth it. I’d rather play the young guy & develop him to hopefully be our answer for the next 10-15 years.

8 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I guess my big issue with corner is I really like Christian Gonzalez the most and I think he’s long gone by 16 along with Witherspoon. I actually think there could be a run on corners from about 7 to 15. I think when we select we’ll be left with Porter Jr and Ringo as the best available. If they’re dead set on corner I’d try to move down and get an extra third and just reach a bit for Emmanuel Forbes. 

I’d rather take OL over corner but it all depends on who’s available and what we’ve done in free agency, but even if we’re left with those two as our best options to go corner in R1, I’d be good with it. 

It definitely sounds like a better strategy than just signing Orlando Brown. 

Leno, Norwell, Schmitz, Cosmi/Vorhees & McGlinchey is a huge upgrade to our OL.

On 2/16/2023 at 8:12 AM, lavar703 said:

Yeah it would all be based on Geno leaving. I'm still not sold on what Geno did last year. Developing this late in your career is quite rare. 

Personally, I don’t think it’s so much that Geno was so great, I think it’s that throwing to Metcalf, Lockett & Noah Fant will make most QBs look good. 

For ex. just look at Russell Wilson the last few years in Seattle - and he didn’t even have Fant - vs what he looked like last year in Denver?

Throwing to the most physically gifted WR in the NFL & a quick/shifty/fast ankle breaker who can get open vs anyone opens up a lot of ways for a QB to be successful.