2023 Free Agency Thread

e16bball

11 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Terry is 27 years old. Let's pump the brakes on wasting his prime. We are also not just a QB away. Also what had Lamar Jackson done to show you he maximizes his WRs potential? 

This is why I go back to the 2021 draft & what a mistake Rivera made in not trading up to get Fields or Mac Jones. The team is in its prime but they don't have a QB who is. Terry, Allen, Payne, Sweat, Curl, Gibson, their young DBS emerging, Curtis Samuel bouncing back to have a good year last year but now we're going with the rookie QB who probably needs 2 or 3 years if starting until he's even above average while the guys I mentioned above will be approaching 30 & few will be done.

Our window is now through the next 3 years developing a QB is going to keep us at .500 whereas if we had a QB going into his 3rd year starting we’d be in a better position to make a playoff run.

It’s a lot to get Lamar, I get it, but we need a difference-maker at QB, not average and that's Howell’s ceiling for now IMO.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2023 at 3:41 AM, turtle28 said:

This is why I go back to the 2021 draft & what a mistake Rivera made in not trading up to get Fields or Mac Jones. The team is in its prime but they don't have a QB who is. Terry, Allen, Payne, Sweat, Curl, Gibson, their young DBS emerging, Curtis Samuel bouncing back to have a good year last year but now we're going with the rookie QB who probably needs 2 or 3 years if starting until he's even above average while the guys I mentioned above will be approaching 30 & few will be done.

Our window is now through the next 3 years developing a QB is going to keep us at .500 whereas if we had a QB going into his 3rd year starting we’d be in a better position to make a playoff run.

It’s a lot to get Lamar, I get it, but we need a difference-maker at QB, not average and that's Howell’s ceiling for now IMO.

This franchise has been poisoned by the failures of prior “big swings.” The big name FA splurges of early Snyder. The big name coaches. Haynesworth. The RGIII deal. They’re gunshy now, and you can sort of understand why, because even the fans are at the point where they’re like “ehh, better safe than sorry.” 

It just continues to look like a massive miss, not going up to get Fields. Honestly, even if he turns out to be mediocre or worse, it’s still bad process to me. They’ve conceded that they liked him a good bit, they were coming off a playoff berth, the arrow seemed to be pointing up — it was the time. And they hesitated and missed their chance. 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 4:39 PM, ARTMONK HOF said:

How is this guy still in the league. He sucks!

Because he’s smart and he won’t be called for when their young QB struggles. Also, he’s cheap. So he can help Fields all the while not giving the fanbase a reason to be impatient with a developing QB. 

• Like 1

On 4/1/2023 at 11:36 AM, taylor made said:

We missed out on Christian Darrisaw more than anybody in that 2021 draft. 

The silly thing is we badly needed a OT at that time. We could've had Darrisaw and JOK and instead ended up with Jamin Davis and Sam Cosmi. 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2023 at 7:07 AM, lavar703 said:

The silly thing is we badly needed a OT at that time. We could've had Darrisaw and JOK and instead ended up with Jamin Davis and Sam Cosmi. 

In their defense, had they known at the time that JOK would go a full round later, I would be willing to wager that they would have done it that way. Nobody anywhere thought JOK was going to fall to the mid-2nd, so I can’t crush them too hard for not gaming it out that way. Without the benefit of hindsight and all that. 

We absolutely can still crush them for prioritizing an off-ball LB over a potential franchise LT, though. And we should. Darrisaw was always the pick there, in my mind, and I say that despite having been a fan of Jamin Davis. If you’re going for a low-priority position over a premium cornerstone, you better be damn sure that your guy is going to be better (maybe a lot better) than the guy you’re passing on. And that has not been the case, so far at least.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, e16bball said:

In their defense, had they known at the time that JOK would go a full round later, I would be willing to wager that they would have done it that way. Nobody anywhere thought JOK was going to fall to the mid-2nd, so I can’t crush them too hard for not gaming it out that way. Without the benefit of hindsight and all that. 

We absolutely can still crush them for prioritizing an off-ball LB over a potential franchise LT, though. And we should. Darrisaw was always the pick there, in my mind, and I say that despite having been a fan of Jamin Davis. If you’re going for a low-priority position over a premium cornerstone, you better be damn sure that your guy is going to be better (maybe a lot better) than the guy you’re passing on. And that has not been the case, so far at least.

Yes but there would've at least been someone available worth that second round pick ya know? They should've picked Darrisaw. And I badly wanted JOK in the first so yeah, its hard to beat them up for that. 

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Yes but there would've at least been someone available worth that second round pick ya know? They should've picked Darrisaw. And I badly wanted JOK in the first so yeah, its hard to beat them up for that. 

The big kick in teeth, of course, is Nick Bolton. Who appears to be better than both of the LBs we’re discussing, and who was a legitimate possibility to be there at our 2nd rounder.

I was pretty high on him, had him as an early 2nd round type, but it was not out of the realm that he’d have been there. And he was. Darrisaw and Bolton might be the optimal outcome, in retrospect, with those two picks and our roster at that time. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, e16bball said:

The Jamin Davis pick is what happens when you get enamored with a players athletic talents, and ignore what happens on tape.  There is a reason he didn’t start until his last year at Kentucky, even with those athletic talents.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The Jamin Davis pick is what happens when you get enamored with a players athletic talents, and ignore what happens on tape.  There is a reason he didn’t start until his last year at Kentucky, even with those athletic talents.  

And he wasn't even the starter going into that year. Sadly the starter had a stroke and that's how Davis was elevated to the starting role. 

6 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

And he wasn't even the starter going into that year. Sadly the starter had a stroke and that's how Davis was elevated to the starting role. 

Gone are the days when we would make a pick based off production.  

I genuinely miss Kyle Smith.  And having a front row seat for how the Orioles nuked their organization and rebuilt it from the ashes with Mike Elias, I feel like we missed a huge opportunity by letting Smith get away…….or at the very least, finding a young GM from a successful front office and letting him do the same thing.  

On 4/3/2023 at 7:07 AM, lavar703 said:

JOK hasn't been as good as Jamin Davis:

JOK: 70 tackles, 7 TFL, 4 PDs, 2 FF's, 1 QB hit

Jamin: 104 tackles, 9 TFL, 3 sacks, 5 QB hits, 1 PD, 2 fumble recoveries 

5 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Gone are the days when we would make a pick based off production.  

I genuinely miss Kyle Smith.  And having a front row seat for how the Orioles nuked their organization and rebuilt it from the ashes with Mike Elias, I feel like we missed a huge opportunity by letting Smith get away…….or at the very least, finding a young GM from a successful front office and letting him do the same thing.  

Kyle Smith had a lot of misses too, people just selectively forget about them.