Purdy surgery successful - 6-month recovery

gridirongorilla

Just now, Forge said:

So we are benching Lance for Jimmy again? 

Woof. 

Arguably the worst pick in NFL history at this rate. 

When did we ever bench Lance for Jimmy in the first place? Lol.

I doubt Jimmy will want to be back tbh and I don't think the team is all that interested in bringing him back either....Lance/Purdy is still the most likely scenario with them drafting a QB like Haener in the middle to late rounds. 

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

Nah I think Jimmy ends up coming back to compete with Lance. Lance ends up winning the job. 

I suppose if Jimmy does find that there's not a market for him as a starter that could happen. I just think that there are too many teams, so I assume he will have a real chance to start somewhere and some team will give him a real contract. 

If he's coming back as a backup, I have no problem with it. 

• Like 1

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

When did we ever bench Lance for Jimmy in the first place? Lol.

I doubt Jimmy will want to be back tbh and I don't think the team is all that interested in bringing him back either....Lance/Purdy is still the most likely scenario with them drafting a QB like Haener in the middle to late rounds. 

We are benching Lance for Jimmy [to start] again 

If his market is stone cold and he isn't offered a starting job anywhere, I could see that happening, but I just think he's going to have a starting market somewhere. 

The backup I would look for if we are sticking with Lance is Matt Ryan. 

He's guaranteed 12 million this year from the colts who will cut him, andI would assume has off set language. He probably won't get more than 1x12 on the open market I think, so really no need to pay him more than the vet minimum and then give him incentives. 

I may just plop Purdy on PUP and let him get back to it over time. 

Seriously, this is a huge bummer. Not enough to get blown out, but now Purdy's career is in jeopardy. Regardless if he was another younger, Jimmy G type of quarterback that was deemed replaceable, at least he seemed to click in Shanahan's system with room to grow. Hopefully he can make the recovery, and be ready for training camp. Sad. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I suppose if Jimmy does find that there's not a market for him as a starter that could happen. I just think that there are too many teams, so I assume he will have a real chance to start somewhere and some team will give him a real contract. 

If he's coming back as a backup, I have no problem with it. 

I think this forces the team to spend on a quality back up QB regardless. 

I think we've got to see what we've got with Lance at this point. Hopefully we do what @Forge mentioned and give Purdy all the time he needs to get back and start him on the PUP if he isn't ready. I wouldn't mind going after Minshew to backup Trey. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Lets hope that he can just get a repair and not a full reconstruction. 

I think a full reconstruction definitely ends this year because I think it's like a bunch of time before he can even really start throwing a football? And then you have to add on time to rebuild strength and all that...Maybe he'd be back for 2024 and then you're hoping that the elbow is still good? He doesn't have a lot of extra physical power to burn lol 

Yeah a full reconstruction is 9-12 months. It would end his 23-24 season. I dont know the impact it has upon recovery on arm strength in regards to football. In Baseball it typically is like starting over with the freshest arm you have ever had, but you end up with bad odds of it happening again.

I’m not super let down by this actually. Yeah it sucks he will be out six months, but at least it isn’t the initial 8-12 months like people were saying.

Lance and Purdy could/should be throwing by mid-late July, that’s more than enough time to get ready IMO.

yes, there are issues having a healthy an for the off season program, but both these QBs know the offense and should have time to get back to full strength to get the time in with their teammates.

all is not lost my friends, just draft a new 3rd qb and let him toss the ball around until they are ready. 

• Like 3