Purdy surgery successful - 6-month recovery

gridirongorilla

18 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

I’m not super let down by this actually. Yeah it sucks he will be out six months, but at least it isn’t the initial 8-12 months like people were saying.

Lance and Purdy could/should be throwing by mid-late July, that’s more than enough time to get ready IMO.

yes, there are issues having a healthy an for the off season program, but both these QBs know the offense and should have time to get back to full strength to get the time in with their teammates.

all is not lost my friends, just draft a new 3rd qb and let him toss the ball around until they are ready. 

We don't know if it's 6 months or longer. Depends on what type of surgery is needed. At the very least, he needs a repair. If he needs a full reconstruction, he's going to miss the year. 

Even if it's the repair, it's going to take a while for his arm to get back and going. I'd probably have  him on PUP to start the season 

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

We don't know if it's 6 months or longer. Depends on what type of surgery is needed. At the very least, he needs a repair. If he needs a full reconstruction, he's going to miss the year. 

Even if it's the repair, it's going to take a while for his arm to get back and going. I'd probably have  him on PUP to start the season 

It’s amazing where we have gotten to. I mean, Purdy played well enough to probably get the starting nod, but we still have Trey, though he is still a largely unknown.

Trey should be good to start the season and hope fully he can play well, if not, at lea at a stop gap until Purdy is healthy.

I don’t believe bringing in a Tom Brady or expensive veteran is an option, we have too much unknown talent and I would rather draft a young qb.

• Like 2

Just now, sherm said:

The hate for Lance is crazy. 

If we are benching Lance to re-sign and start Jimmy...he's arguably the worst pick in history through this point. The team used 3 first round picks and a third on him lol. It was one of the biggest trades in history. 

He's played basically 4 games and we would be signing someone so that Lance is still not the starter. 

That's not hate. That's just reality. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Forge said:

If we are benching Lance to re-sign and start Jimmy...he's arguably the worst pick in history through this point. The team used 3 first round picks and a third on him lol. It was one of the biggest trades in history. 

He's played basically 4 games and we would be signing someone so that Lance is still not the starter. 

Why would we re-sign Jimmy with 2 young QB on rookie deals? Jimmy would be a fool to come back here. If both QB make a full recovery and nothing right now says they won't... he's not starting for this team. Trey is 22 yrs old. The draft capital alone says he's not getting benched for Jimmy. Purdy did amazing but like Trey is gonna have to show he's healthy post injury.

Neither QB small sample size so far proves either story is complete. That's the reality.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Forge said:

We need to sign a veteran QB regardless. I prefer a high quality veteran given our history with QB injuries.

56 minutes ago, sherm said:

Why would we re-sign Jimmy with 2 young QB on rookie deals? Jimmy would be a fool to come back here. If both QB make a full recovery and nothing right now says they won't... he's not starting for this team. Trey is 22 yrs old. The draft capital alone says he's not getting benched for Jimmy. Purdy did amazing but like Trey is gonna have to show he's healthy post injury.

Neither QB small sample size so far proves either story is complete. That's the reality.

Signing a vet is a very real possibility. I'm not even sure that it wholly matters about Purdy. I could have seen us bring in someone like Brady regardless. But with Purdy hurt, it becomes far more likely. Even if he gets repair and not reconstruction (which some people would view as a mistake) I wouldn't trust Purdy to be ready to go at the start of the season. I could 100% see them sign brady now whether I think it's smart or not ...I'm not going to blame Kyle if he puts that much emphasis on durability given that none of these other guys, including Trey, can't stay healthy. He's had season after season wiped out by injuries to his QB. It has to be frustrating. 

Two...I didn't advocate for Jimmy? I was questioning those who did. I think Jimmy has a starter's market out there, which means if he's coming back I would assume that he was coming back as a starter because there is no reason he I'd think he'd come as a backup.   You can see the messages back and forth. 

Also, as an aside, the draft capital doesn't mean crap any more. Or shouldn't. The sunk cost fallacy is a fallacy for a reason. If shanny thinks Lance isn't that good, or thinks he's not as good as others, the draft capital spent to acquire him should not save him. If Kyle was happier and more comfortable with Purdy and Jimmy as the starter then they are probably going to be the starter.  Kyle doesn't strike me as the type who really cares. 

Lastly, I didn't say that his story was complete. Merely that at this rate, he'd be arguably the greatest draft bust in history given what it cost to get him, his first two years and then a third year where they acquire someone to start over him (again, based on my interpretation of someone else's comment). Trey can be both one of the biggest draft busts in history at that point and not have his story complete. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Well, no. This is a hypothetical. 

IF we re-sign jimmy and he ends up starting for us, then at that point, yeah, Lance is a major bust and it's an all time bad trade. 

Fortunately, that seems unlikely to happen. Look at how Kyle called games with Purdy vs how he called them with Jimmy. It was night and day. Kyle is DONE with Jimmy. 

Brady? That might be a different story, but Jimmy is gone for sure. 

3 hours ago, P_locniners said:

I’m not super let down by this actually. Yeah it sucks he will be out six months, but at least it isn’t the initial 8-12 months like people were saying.

Lance and Purdy could/should be throwing by mid-late July, that’s more than enough time to get ready IMO.

yes, there are issues having a healthy an for the off season program, but both these QBs know the offense and should have time to get back to full strength to get the time in with their teammates.

all is not lost my friends, just draft a new 3rd qb and let him toss the ball around until they are ready. 

I appreciate the optimism. Typically I am very optimistic about this team but it's hard to feel that way right now. I am absolutely gutted for Brock. Devastating series of events. 

I am not as certain as you are with regards to timing. It is a full tear and that is about the worst news we could have gotten today. The timeline is arbitrary at this point, he is getting a second opinion and hasn't had surgery yet. 

I am also very disappointed that he played at all. I knew immediately it was a UCL injury. That wasn't something to play around with. He shouldnt have played at all after the injury occured. That was so foolish on our part. I wonder if that made it completely tear. We may never know but if his arm never fully recovers, then Kyle would deserve a lot of blame for that, and I am typically someone who doesn't blame Kyle for this type of stuff. 

Devastating day yesterday. Smfh 

• Like 2

If Purdy gets full Tommy John he could still be back next season. 9 months (and I think could be sooner) puts him back sometime around week 10. 

I think he should get the full thing. Would hate to see him do a half measure so he can keep the starting job and then have nothing on the ball and never be the same. 

1 hour ago, N4L said:

Well, no. This is a hypothetical. 

IF we re-sign jimmy and he ends up starting for us, then at that point, yeah, Lance is a major bust and it's an all time bad trade. 

Fortunately, that seems unlikely to happen. Look at how Kyle called games with Purdy vs how he called them with Jimmy. It was night and day. Kyle is DONE with Jimmy. 

Brady? That might be a different story, but Jimmy is gone for sure. 

Of course it's a hypothetical? You're legit saying the same thing I said lol

Jake Delhomme's journey with his Tommy John surgery. Great listen. Came back in 2008, helped the Panthers get the number two seed in the NFC. 

I had forgotten that Jake had his injury in week 3 of the 2007 season. So he had a ton of time to rehab. Panthers 2007 season was basically wiped out though. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Jake Delhomme's journey with his Tommy John surgery. Great listen. Came back in 2008, helped the Panthers get the number two seed in the NFC. 

I had forgotten that Jake had his injury in week 3 of the 2007 season. So he had a ton of time to rehab. Panthers 2007 season was basically wiped out though. 

The funny thing is that he's generally see as a cautionary tale because he career fell off a cliff rather quickly afterward. His ability to place the ball became rather disastrous. 

Now, you do have to wonder if Carolina just put him in a bad spot. That was a downfield passing offense and he pushed the ball downfield quite a bit. Maybe that was a bad fit that soon after TJS