Purdy surgery successful - 6-month recovery

gridirongorilla

28 minutes ago, straighthate said:

If Purdy gets full Tommy John he could still be back next season. 9 months (and I think could be sooner) puts him back sometime around week 10. 

I think he should get the full thing. Would hate to see him do a half measure so he can keep the starting job and then have nothing on the ball and never be the same. 

Given that I'd probably lean toward putting him on PUP to start the season just on a repair, I think I'd recommend him get the full reconstruction as well. If he misses the season, no big deal, tbh. I already wasn't banking on him playing since I would have had him start on PUP 

44 minutes ago, N4L said:

I appreciate the optimism. Typically I am very optimistic about this team but it's hard to feel that way right now. I am absolutely gutted for Brock. Devastating series of events. 

I am not as certain as you are with regards to timing. It is a full tear and that is about the worst news we could have gotten today. The timeline is arbitrary at this point, he is getting a second opinion and hasn't had surgery yet. 

I am also very disappointed that he played at all. I knew immediately it was a UCL injury. That wasn't something to play around with. He shouldnt have played at all after the injury occured. That was so foolish on our part. I wonder if that made it completely tear. We may never know but if his arm never fully recovers, then Kyle would deserve a lot of blame for that, and I am typically someone who doesn't blame Kyle for this type of stuff. 

Devastating day yesterday. Smfh 

This post is sadly accurate.  Damn, I feel bad for Brock, and I just hope he can get his throw power back.  

Playing could not have helped, he should not have gone back in, but it should not have been his choice.  Sometimes athletes have to be protected from themselves.  Kyle should not have put him back in the lineup.

How did Josh Johnson's extra crappyness fall through the cracks.  He couldn't even call a play in the huddle, it was pathetic.  I AM NOT saying we shoulda brought in Breese, Rivers, Cam Newton, etc, but goddamit, I think Kurt Benkert or Jacob Eason could have make this a football game.    The 49ers were going in at half down by 7, after multiple drive killing plays by JJ and his unpreparedness.  Then he has a completely unforced error and could not even interest himself in bringing the football back into his body.  At 14 points down, that was the ball game.  It looked like he was tanking on purpose.  He was making a business decision on his 5th snap of the year in the NFCCG.  

QB 2 matters, even if it is the 5th guy.  We had young guys at every position who could step in and not suck.  We saw it with McGill and Spence at DT this year.  If we had to use WR Tasair Mack I bet he woulda been alright. Dontari Poe may have been able to understand the plays, and not singlehandedly cost the team just by his presence.  Why couldn't we stick with the QB equivalent to that?  Dammit.

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Forge said:

The funny thing is that he's generally see as a cautionary tale because he career fell off a cliff rather quickly afterward. His ability to place the ball became rather disastrous. 

Now, you do have to wonder if Carolina just put him in a bad spot. That was a downfield passing offense and he pushed the ball downfield quite a bit. Maybe that was a bad fit that soon after TJS   

True. He also was 33 going on 34. He had no other option though than to get the surgery if he wanted to keep playing anyway. His elbow the last three years was already on the fringe before he tore it as he claims in the video.

There are so many few cases of this injury with quarterbacks, it still seems like it's completely up in the air as to what will happen. Brock's youth hopefully helps. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

This post is sadly accurate.  Damn, I feel bad for Brock, and I just hope he can get his throw power back.  

Playing could not have helped, he should not have gone back in, but it should not have been his choice.  Sometimes athletes have to be protected from themselves.  Kyle should not have put him back in the lineup.

How did Josh Johnson's extra crappyness fall through the cracks.  He couldn't even call a play in the huddle, it was pathetic.  I AM NOT saying we shoulda brought in Breese, Rivers, Cam Newton, etc, but goddamit, I think Kurt Benkert or Jacob Eason could have make this a football game.    The 49ers were going in at half down by 7, after multiple drive killing plays by JJ and his unpreparedness.  Then he has a completely unforced error and could not even interest himself in bringing the football back into his body.  At 14 points down, that was the ball game.  It looked like he was tanking on purpose.  He was making a business decision on his 5th snap of the year in the NFCCG.  

QB 2 matters, even if it is the 5th guy.  We had young guys at every position who could step in and not suck.  We saw it with McGill and Spence at DT this year.  If we had to use WR Tasair Mack I bet he woulda been alright. Dontari Poe may have been able to understand the plays, and not singlehandedly cost the team just by his presence.  Why couldn't we stick with the QB equivalent to that?  Dammit.

I'm going down with the ship that even though I wasn't there, Josh Johnson just thought this was just an easy meal ticket, and just didn't prepare in his role as the backup on a weekly basis. I know that's an ignorant take, but obviously it wouldn't be my first, and I'm sticking to it. would have clearly rather have had a guy like Benkert or Eason out there even on a phrasebook working of Kyle's offense. At least those two would be itching to get out there. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, sherm said:

Why would we re-sign Jimmy with 2 young QB on rookie deals? Jimmy would be a fool to come back here. If both QB make a full recovery and nothing right now says they won't... he's not starting for this team. Trey is 22 yrs old. The draft capital alone says he's not getting benched for Jimmy. Purdy did amazing but like Trey is gonna have to show he's healthy post injury.

Neither QB small sample size so far proves either story is complete. That's the reality.

Everything right now says Purdy wont. The only QB to undergo TJ and return to be a starter was Jake Delhomme. It is a very small sample size, but nonetheless the odds are not in favor of Purdy. Guys in the NFL dont have the surgery very often for a reason. Guys like Palmer and Ben opted out for a reason. It may be that its not as necessary for a QB to have an in tact UCL, but this isn't baseball and they aren't Pitchers where they return and in some cases have a 2nd one throwing harder than ever. 

Saying that, if this team opts to go with Lance and Purdy is out the 9-12 for a full reconstruction or does not recover quick enough from the 6 month projection they will need a vet backup. If Jimmy sees his market dwindle and it forced to be a backup again, like this season, what in the hell makes you think both parties wouldnt be interested? Jimmy could be a backup on a 1 year, on a stacked roster, on a team that uses 14 QBs a year. The Niners have a vet backup that they know, that they somewhat trust, on the cheap for a year.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2023 at 1:48 PM, clarkfn2284 said:

Everything right now says Purdy wont. The only QB to undergo TJ and return to be a starter was Jake Delhomme. It is a very small sample size, but nonetheless the odds are not in favor of Purdy. Guys in the NFL dont have the surgery very often for a reason. Guys like Palmer and Ben opted out for a reason. It may be that its not as necessary for a QB to have an in tact UCL, but this isn't baseball and they aren't Pitchers where they return and in some cases have a 2nd one throwing harder than ever. 

Saying that, if this team opts to go with Lance and Purdy is out the 9-12 for a full reconstruction or does not recover quick enough from the 6 month projection they will need a vet backup. If Jimmy sees his market dwindle and it forced to be a backup again, like this season, what in the hell makes you think both parties wouldnt be interested? Jimmy could be a backup on a 1 year, on a stacked roster, on a team that uses 14 QBs a year. The Niners have a vet backup that they know, that they somewhat trust, on the cheap for a year.

The nice thing on Delhomme though was that he was actually cleared like 7 months after the surgery....so that is nice if Purdy can go through without any hiccups. I do not like pushing him like that (Delhomme may have been cleared in 7 months but really had more like 10 months of down time) 

On the other hand...

Our guys tend to not recover remotely well like ever. 

16 hours ago, Forge said:

The nice thing on Delhomme though was that he was actually cleared like 7 months after the surgery....so that is nice if Purdy can go through without any hiccups. I do not like pushing him like that (Delhomme may have been cleared in 7 months but really had more like 10 months of down time) 

On the other hand...

Our guys tend to not recover remotely well like ever. 

I wouldn't rush Purdy either, but Kyle and John....especially Kyle made it sound like this dude was going to be back humming it in 6 months. I think it's really aggressive to think he will be ready by then, but Im not a Dr so I guess we will find out. I just don't really believe in Kyle's willingness to allow for a guy to recover.

Shanny could be playing it close by give Purdy a quick recover and it would let him go into the season knowing that Lance is the starter, if Lance does not perform well its "I thought Purdy would be ready" and its easy to give the job to Purdy once he is healthly.  If Lance looks good well, that is a good problem to have.  We should still bring in another backup who can catch a snap if needed but planning on Purdy's health is an easy excuse to look at Lance even if no one thinks Purdy will be ready in time.

1 hour ago, clarkfn2284 said:

I wouldn't rush Purdy either, but Kyle and John....especially Kyle made it sound like this dude was going to be back humming it in 6 months. I think it's really aggressive to think he will be ready by then, but Im not a Dr so I guess we will find out. I just don't really believe in Kyle's willingness to allow for a guy to recover.

Nothing to support this, just kind of my own opinion on where Shanny and the team are...but I think they just know Purdy is the starter and they want their starting QB back as soon as possible.  

We view it as like, "take your time" because as fans we have the luxury of being like "well, lets just take it slow, let Lance get his reps in, etc". But I think the job is Purdy's and they just want their QB back. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Nothing to support this, just kind of my own opinion on where Shanny and the team are...but I think they just know Purdy is the starter and they want their starting QB back as soon as possible.  

We view it as like, "take your time" because as fans we have the luxury of being like "well, lets just take it slow, let Lance get his reps in, etc". But I think the job is Purdy's and they just want their QB back. 

I could see that being the case. They might think that Purdy is pretty far along in terms of development and might be one good offseason's worth of work from being a very solid to above average starter. 

2 hours ago, burlow said:

Shanny could be playing it close by give Purdy a quick recover and it would let him go into the season knowing that Lance is the starter, if Lance does not perform well its "I thought Purdy would be ready" and its easy to give the job to Purdy once he is healthly.  If Lance looks good well, that is a good problem to have.  We should still bring in another backup who can catch a snap if needed but planning on Purdy's health is an easy excuse to look at Lance even if no one thinks Purdy will be ready in time.

Maybe, I just think Kyle was too excited about the idea that he could be a "full go" in 6 months for it to be a ploy. 

• Like 1