Purdy surgery successful - 6-month recovery

gridirongorilla

On 2/3/2023 at 8:50 AM, jonnguy2015 said:

If Purdy starts Week 1 next season but is clearly playing worse than last year, whether because of the elbow, teams getting tape on him, etc, and the offense is clearly struggling as a result, is there any chance Shanahan benches him for Lance?

Kyle will have more than one week of patience, but probably less than a full year.  Injuries have happened far more often than any depth chart change.  There have been like 20 injuries to QB's, and two changes to the depth chart, maybe three if you count Mullens and Bethard swapping the 2 and 3 spot.

Edited by Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420

6 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Looks like Brock avoided the Tommy John surgery.

Great news, I hope he makes a full recovery. 

Let the competition begin! 

Great news for Purdy. 

I think we will still add a QB or two, but I imagine that we will go into camp with Purdy as the starter, Lance as the backup, and then maybe a Mason Rudolph type as QB3? 

Then maybe draft Aiden O'Connell as a guy who may be able to be stashed on the practice squad? 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Looks like Brock avoided the Tommy John surgery.

Great news, I hope he makes a full recovery. 

Let the competition begin! 

He’s having the surgery on my bday! It has to be a sign lol 

Happy Little Girl GIF by Demic

Edited by StevenK
  • Like 3

I won't be convinced his arm is healed until I see him play in an actual game, throwing the ball 25+ yards in the air. 

Until then, the "it's a three month injury with a three month ramp up" is meaningless. I am very skeptical. 

Edited by N4L
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, N4L said:

I won't be convinced his arm is healed until I see him play in an actual game, throwing the ball 25+ yards in the air. 

Until then, the "it's a three month injury with a three month ramp up" is meaningless. I am very skeptical. 

Yes…..this could very well be longer then a 6 month recovery.

11 hours ago, N4L said:

Mullens was cleared in 5 months, so there is certainly precedent for that turn around. 

But based on this teams track record with recovering from injuries....

• Like 5

Brock Purdy says doctors may switch to more complex elbow surgery during operation - ProFootballTalk (nbcsports.com)

Brock Purdy says doctors may switch to more complex elbow surgery during operation

“Yeah, that’s Dr. Meister’s call,” Purdy shared. “He’s done this year after year with the best of the best with MLB pitchers. So he’s definitely seen this kind of thing happen, and he’s going to make the best call, and not just for the heck of it. It’s obviously for the best call for my career moving forward. And he knows what’s best, and he’s going to make the best decision for us, so it’ll be good.”

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Purdy's timeline if all goes well puts him ready to play sometime in September. I think we can officially say Lance is handed the job back. Lance really just needs to show command and improvement and we probably stick with Lance for the 2023 season. 

It can't be good that he's still got inflammation after all this time either. That seems crazy. Thats what, a month?