Purdy surgery successful - 6-month recovery

gridirongorilla

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

It can't be good that he's still got inflammation after all this time either. That seems crazy. Thats what, a month? 

Yeah, I can't imagine it's good. My guess is Purdy starts the season in the PUP list. Crazy how Trey lost his job due to injury and Purdy might be giving it back due to injury. 

8 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Yeah, I can't imagine it's good. My guess is Purdy starts the season in the PUP list. Crazy how Trey lost his job due to injury and Purdy might be giving it back due to injury. 

I wouldn't be mad if the team rostered 3QB's and kept a 4th on the PS.  Injuries are a constant with every position on the 49ers.

On 2/8/2023 at 9:58 PM, N4L said:

I won't be convinced his arm is healed until I see him play in an actual game, throwing the ball 25+ yards in the air. 

Until then, the "it's a three month injury with a three month ramp up" is meaningless. I am very skeptical. 

Man..... 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, N4L said:

Man..... 

To be honest, all the doctors on social media said it is wishful thinking to think he will be ready for the regular season. Best case scenario always was for him to start on the PUP list and then return at some point in the season. 

We will need to sign a legitimate veteran QB back up with the uncertainty at the position to start the season. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, GW21 said:

I'd be down for bringing in Minshew to backup Lance to start the season. 

While I don’t think Minshew would be fine with being 3rd fiddle, u gotta wonder if QB’s look at our situation and think to themselves ‘I’m gonna get a chance because of the qb injury history’.

Minshew would be my #1 on my wish list followed by Brissett, but those two guys just don’t seem like they would want to settle at 3rd string

5 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

While I don’t think Minshew would be fine with being 3rd fiddle, u gotta wonder if QB’s look at our situation and think to themselves ‘I’m gonna get a chance because of the qb injury history’.

Minshew would be my #1 on my wish list followed by Brissett, but those two guys just don’t seem like they would want to settle at 3rd string

Maybe so, but there are only so many jobs and it's very possible Purdy starts the year on PUP. I think it'd be cool to draft a guy like Jake Haener, but I'm not sure how early he's going to be drafted and I don't want to take a QB prior to round 5.

Based on our luck at the QB position since Shanny and Lynch got here and the roster that we have, I think we definitely need to carry 3 capable QBs on our roster. Even if Josh Johnson didn't suffer a concussion in that Eagles game, that game was over as soon as Purdy got hurt. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, P_locniners said:

u gotta wonder if QB’s look at our situation and think to themselves ‘I’m gonna get a chance because of the qb injury history’.

With that in mind, my hope is for bringing Taylor Heinicke to the group. Dude can probably be a great add for us.

Best for Brock to take his time, and good for both his career and SF's season. Gives us a great and perhaps final look at Trey as our starter. We started out last season 3-4 IIRC, so early lumps are not a huge concern to me. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GW21 said:

Maybe so, but there are only so many jobs and it's very possible Purdy starts the year on PUP. I think it'd be cool to draft a guy like Jake Haener, but I'm not sure how early he's going to be drafted and I don't want to take a QB prior to round 5.

Based on our luck at the QB position since Shanny and Lynch got here and the roster that we have, I think we definitely need to carry 3 capable QBs on our roster. Even if Josh Johnson didn't suffer a concussion in that Eagles game, that game was over as soon as Purdy got hurt. 

I would be all for drafting a late round QB. With our young QB room, many would think we need to add that veteran presence, but I don’t necessarily thinks that’s the case since we have Griese as the QB coach, since he has played the position.

draft a qb, keep the qb room salary cap at a minimum and hope we got on that qb. I’m all for it

• Like 1

21 hours ago, P_locniners said:

I would be all for drafting a late round QB. With our young QB room, many would think we need to add that veteran presence, but I don’t necessarily thinks that’s the case

I would want us to draft a late rd QB as well as bring in a vet like Heinicke. With the way our OL blocks and the way Kyle lets backup TEs block fierce opponent pass rushers, we are going to need three QBs and even another youngling to develop behind them. 

I hate to be the guy to say it, but the extended swelling is from not getting it stable and on ice immediately after the injury.  He was out footballing around as an emergency player.  

I am for the emergency 3rd QB as an active roster spot.  I think he will come back as good as ever, but I think it will take a while.  Hopefully Lance can stay healthy.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, GW21 said:

This tracks with me. Purdy’s ability to process is very good, I just hope this arm injury doesn’t turn him into a complete noodle arm as he didn’t have of arm strength to spare. 

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/167287-49ers-brock-purdy-elite-score-pre-draft-cognition-report/

I saw this article on the athletic and I'm really curious about this test. If mahomes and Allen took it, it's been around for at least a little bit but I can't remember it ever being a thing. 

• Like 1