Brock Purdy has torn UCL

Forge

27 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

I said the same thing about Getsy when he tried it when playing PHI, it is incredibly stupid of Shanahan or any playcaller to expect a TE to block Reddick on an island if he actually didn't have a hot route or something to dump off immediately. Reddick give OTs hell, what TE is REALLY going to stand their ground with him? Its almost disrespectful.

This happens a lot more than people acknowledge. Its honestly not that uncommon. It just doesn't result in injuries or even bad plays all the time. Go back and watch the play and you'll see that Purdy probably takes a little too much time to get rid of the ball. It's a tricky spot...he's got Aiyuk on a deep corner and that's where he elects to go with it, but because of that, I think he doesn't step up in the pocket and then he's maybe a tick too long when he gets to the end of his drop and then holds. 

May be a case where Shanny just had a little too much faith in Purdy forgetting he's a rookie, but I'm pretty sure you can pull numerous snaps during Purdy's starts where the TE was blocking end so there was really no reason not to have faith in him. 

I didn't have nearly the problem with the TE blocking the end as most did. I understand on the surface why it looks bad though. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, FinSting said:

You refuse to acknowledge the Eagles defense? Very weird, Philly was among the strongest pass-rushing defenses in NFL history. That's just poor sportsmanship and weak sauce. The Eagles dominated the Niners offense. Pass rush in Purdy's face. The injury happened because of the Niners' blocking incompetence. 

Make plays or go home. It's not complicated, and not about Tua or the refs or whatever. The Eagles played better, give them respect and move on. 

I think part of the disconnect is you are posting as if this was the NFC Conference Game Discussion thread, but if you peak at the thread title this is Purdy Tore his UCL.
No one cares the 49ers lost in this thread, it's mourning an exciting start to an unlikely prospect who got injured in a very rare way on a very public stage.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Forge said:

This happens a lot more than people acknowledge. Its honestly not that uncommon. It just doesn't result in injuries or even bad plays all the time. Go back and watch the play and you'll see that Purdy probably takes a little too much time to get rid of the ball. It's a tricky spot...he's got Aiyuk on a deep corner and that's where he elects to go with it, but because of that, I think he doesn't step up in the pocket and then he's maybe a tick too long when he gets to the end of his drop and then holds. 

May be a case where Shanny just had a little too much faith in Purdy forgetting he's a rookie, but I'm pretty sure you can pull numerous snaps during Purdy's starts where the TE was blocking end so there was really no reason not to have faith in him. 

I didn't have nearly the problem with the TE blocking the end as most did. I understand on the surface why it looks bad though. 

Yeah to question the play calling is bs. For example, during SF win streak did they not run the same play!? I’ll bet you my 2 shares of FUBOTV they absolutely did. Was just a fluke play. Mahomes got hurt running a play. Was it Reid’s fault? Brock was just trying to make a play staying in the pocket. To blame Shanny is nuts. Sucks but hey it was house money and a magical ride. You feel for the kid and SF fans but that’s football. When Jalen got hurt was it the HCs fault he tore his shoulder up? 

It’s nuts and buzzare to me that anyone wants to throw any blame around. It’s football baby. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Forge said:

The argument isn't that you can't use the TE that way though. It is that you shouldn't use the TE that way when the dude on the other side is Hasson Reddick. Some dudes you have to give the ultimate to respect to... scheme be damned. Reddick has shown this year he is that kinda guy.

Putting a TE on him is asking for your QB to be hit or that play to fail. Especially your backup TE and not your elite blocking TE.

3 hours ago, Forge said:

i would put that at minimal likelihood unless the Packers are just giving him away and Rodgers will restructure (the packers pay a handful of the upcoming bonus) 

Sadly for SF I don't think the Pack will send anywhere but the AFC (and the Jets have them outgunned pick wise by a fair margin).    Well then again, might not be so sad - if it's not TB12, get a serviceable backup / caretaker, and take your Lance shot now.    

17 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

The argument isn't that you can't use the TE that way though. It is that you shouldn't use the TE that way when the dude on the other side is Hasson Reddick. Some dudes you have to give the ultimate to respect to... scheme be damned. Reddick has shown this year he is that kinda guy.

Putting a TE on him is asking for your QB to be hit or that play to fail. Especially your backup TE and not your elite blocking TE.

Nobody bats an eyelash when it goes for a big gain. And this would have if Purdy clicks sooner.  This is a staple of a lot of offenses. Reddick is good, stuff happens. 

Purdy knows what's what. 

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

Nobody bats an eyelash when it goes for a big gain. And this would have if Purdy clicks sooner.  This is a staple of a lot of offenses. Reddick is good, stuff happens. 

Purdy knows what's what. 

Hey I get it. And Kyle clearly agrees. But personally I would prefer a bit more risk management from my play caller. 

Just now, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Hey I get it. And Kyle clearly agrees. But personally I would prefer a bit more risk management from my play caller. 

At some point it's fair to look at the injuries and be like "Kyle, what are you doing that's getting people hurt, bro?"

But he does too much good in this regard for me to not give him passes on some of the random stuff that happens if I can't find a clear line on the field connecting these

28 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Sadly for SF I don't think the Pack will send anywhere but the AFC (and the Jets have them outgunned pick wise by a fair margin).    Well then again, might not be so sad - if it's not TB12, get a serviceable backup / caretaker, and take your Lance shot now.    

Brady makes more sense than Rodgers. They both seem to have lost a step but probably have the same amount of gas left in the tank (2 years?), Brady probably comes with less drama & money, and definitely no draft picks to give up. 

Also don't think the Packes will trade him to SF anyway unless we really overpay. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

At some point it's fair to look at the injuries and be like "Kyle, what are you doing that's getting people hurt, bro?"

But he does too much good in this regard for me to not give him passes on some of the random stuff that happens if I can't find a clear line on the field connecting these

To be fair both Lance & JimmyG plays were bad luck.   JimmyG being injury prone is as much about him than being put in danger’s path.  

2 hours ago, FinSting said:

You refuse to acknowledge the Eagles defense? Very weird, Philly was among the strongest pass-rushing defenses in NFL history. That's just poor sportsmanship and weak sauce. The Eagles dominated the Niners offense. Pass rush in Purdy's face. The injury happened because of the Niners' blocking incompetence. 

Make plays or go home. It's not complicated, and not about Tua or the refs or whatever. The Eagles played better, give them respect and move on. 

That had nothing to do with your original comment in the thread, which had to do with Brock getting a UCL injury, and then you doubling down when I challenged your original comment that the outcome of the circumstance (Brock getting an UCL injury which this thread is about) was awesome. 

Eagles have a good defense. Reddick made a great play. That doesn't make Brock getting a UCL injury (what this thread is about) awesome. At least in my book. You appear to feel different, defending the "awesomeness" of the outcome under the guise of "Perform or go home early, athletic reality is a harsh mistress."

Ok so now we now where you stand. Again, I'm sure you must have felt the same when Tua went down then. Pretty jovial I'd imagine :)

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 2