Brock Purdy has torn UCL

Forge

13 hours ago, Forge said:

This happens a lot more than people acknowledge. Its honestly not that uncommon. It just doesn't result in injuries or even bad plays all the time. Go back and watch the play and you'll see that Purdy probably takes a little too much time to get rid of the ball. It's a tricky spot...he's got Aiyuk on a deep corner and that's where he elects to go with it, but because of that, I think he doesn't step up in the pocket and then he's maybe a tick too long when he gets to the end of his drop and then holds. 

May be a case where Shanny just had a little too much faith in Purdy forgetting he's a rookie, but I'm pretty sure you can pull numerous snaps during Purdy's starts where the TE was blocking end so there was really no reason not to have faith in him. 

I didn't have nearly the problem with the TE blocking the end as most did. I understand on the surface why it looks bad though. 

I understand it happens plenty but to me you're simply betting against the house. TEs vs most EDGE I can get behind for occasional plays, especially Kittle, but vs Reddick, Bosa, Watt, Garrett, etc it is just a dangerous gamble imo. Getsy in particular tried to have Kmet - who is also a solid blocking TE - block Garrett and Reddick several times before he realized he was getting Fields crushed. 

It was a freak incident and I'm more pointing out the QB hit in general fell more on Shanahan, just as I did with Getsy. There will be times these match ups are unavoidable so there HAS to be a quick read and they need to get these young QBs to see that. They're going to want to make big plays and try to elevate their teams, Purdy had a Super Bowl appearance on the line so he isn't going to want to take the small throws. 

All in all it's still just a freak incident that it wasn't a routine QB hit, just terrible luck. 

17 hours ago, 3rivers said:

maybe the nfl should make it mandatory to have 3 QB's activated on the roster on gameday.  just a thought,  senseless having non QB players get hurt trying to play QB as well. 

One of my coworkers pitched an idea that I love:

Expand the active gameday roster by 1 player but make it be an "emergency quarterback"...very similar to the "emergency goalie" protocol in the NHL. My dude @Forge knows what I'm talking about here.

• Like 2

Just now, MWil23 said:

Expand the active gameday roster by 1 player but make it be an "emergency quarterback"...very similar to the "emergency goalie" protocol in the NHL. My dude @Forge knows what I'm talking about here.

Absolutely. It makes sense for the NFL just keep people paying attention to the game. The 2nd half of the NFCCG was a terrible watch for 31 fanbases 

I'm a die-hard Niners fan and even I checked out in that 4th quarter once it became apparent we didn't have a passer. At least if you have an actual QB, even a guy like Jacob Eason (who was on our PS before) they might be able to scramble around, hit a big play or two and make things interesting

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

only if the emergency QB, like in hockey with the emergency goalie, is just some guy that is employed by the home team who comes to every game and drives the Zamboni or something.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

They are called Ebugs, which I love 

• Like 2

Just now, 49ersfan said:

Absolutely. It makes sense for the NFL just keep people paying attention to the game. The 2nd half of the NFCCG was a terrible watch for 31 fanbases 

I'm a die-hard Niners fan and even I checked out in that 4th quarter once it became apparent we didn't have a passer. At least if you have an actual QB, even a guy like Jacob Eason (who was on our PS before) they might be able to scramble around, hit a big play or two and make things interesting

No lie we had an after church dinner with a family, we were about to turn on the game a bit late, and then got the alert that Purdy exited the game with an elbow injury, assumed it was a torn UCL, and did not turn the game on. That's a problem for the league and shouldn't ever happen...if die hard fans don't, why would casual fans?

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

only if the emergency QB, like in hockey with the emergency goalie, is just some guy that is employed by the home team who comes to every game and drives the Zamboni or something.

The NFL was borderline dead to me in 2020 when they petitioned for their QB coach to be their game day starter when the entire unit was exposed in close contact to COVID.

https://www.insider.com/broncos-covid-emergency-quarterback-coach-2020-11

The dude was 29 or 30 years old and in decent enough shape too, having played at UCF.

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

They are called Ebugs, which I love 

A few years ago we even had that Zamboni driver help come in and win his team a game!!!!!

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/zamboni-driver-wins-first-nhl-game-after-being-tapped-emergency-n1141371

42 years old and got himself a W.

LEGENDARY

• Like 2

How cool/funny would it be if Tony Romo and/or Troy Aikman was the on call QB Ebug @Forge @AFlaccoSeagulls?

Suddenly we have some random dude replacing them as the color commentator and you see them strapping on some gear on the elevator down to the field level? Even get some WWE promo type stuff?

"Uh oh, you hate to see that...and now the Green Bay Packers find them in a unique situation here Jim without an active quarterback on their roster. You hate to see it."

*Glass shatters*

Walk Out Steve Austin GIF by WWE

"Wait a minute...is that...it is! That's Brett Favre's music!"

20140305__p_cd5b91e0-4cc6-42f0-b3dc-6012

"AND THE PACKERS NOW HAVE A FIGHTING CHANCE JIM! It's pandemonium here in Lambeau! The entire place has lost its collective mind!!!!!"

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

How cool/funny would it be if Tony Romo and/or Troy Aikman was the on call QB Ebug @Forge @AFlaccoSeagulls?

Suddenly we have some random dude replacing them as the color commentator and you see them strapping on some gear on the elevator down to the field level? Even get some WWE promo type stuff?

"Uh oh, you hate to see that...and now the Green Bay Packers find them in a unique situation here Jim without an active quarterback on their roster. You hate to see it."

*Glass shatters*

Walk Out Steve Austin GIF by WWE

"Wait a minute...is that...it is! That's Brett Favre's music!"

20140305__p_cd5b91e0-4cc6-42f0-b3dc-6012

"AND THE PACKERS NOW HAVE A FIGHTING CHANCE JIM! It's pandemonium here in Lambeau! The entire place has lost its collective mind!!!!!"

Personally I think Ryan Fitzpatrick should be the emergency QB for every team. It's not like he doesn't know every team's playbook by now. Same with Josh Johnson lol

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

Josh Allen injured his UCL and then threw a 70 yard bomb the next play and never missed a start 

Respectfully, an "injured" UCL is not the same as "completely torn off the bone". 

1 minute ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Personally I think Ryan Fitzpatrick should be the emergency QB for every team. It's not like he doesn't know every team's playbook by now. Same with Josh Johnson lol

Only if he goes straight from the booth with all of the jewelry still on directly into the game. Better yet, make every single analyst who is a former QB under the age of 55 available.

Fitzmagic, you're hired, but you have to fulfill your QB Ebug requirement for CBS.

Mark Sanchez, you're hired, but you're also on call.

RGIII, Tony Romo, and Troy Aikman, you're in.

Boomer, you have been excused due to age, as has Dan Marino, unless it's a Super Bowl, in which case, you must play against one another so that one of you can earn a ring.

Theisman, if you mention your injury on air if anyone gets carted off the field, you have to play at least a quarter or you're terminated.

Terry Bradshaw, the next time you do something stupid, you have to get thrust into the middle of a Pittsburgh game since you're still coasting off of the Steel Curtain glory days.

John Elway, you're on call for all Broncos games.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

Josh Allen injured his UCL and then threw a 70 yard bomb the next play and never missed a start 

I mean, they don't have the same injury, so I'm not sure why that is relevant. 

• Like 3