2023 Draft

THE DUKE

Onward.  Mocks will obviously change once FA and extensions happen, but i'll go ahead and do a couple now

team logo
pfn-logo-black
  • CIN
    Michael Mayer
    TE Notre Dame

• CIN
    Dawand Jones
    OT Ohio State

• CIN
    Myles Brooks
    CB Louisiana Tech

• CIN
    Colby Wooden
    DT Auburn

• CIN
    Jayden Reed
    WR Michigan State

• CIN
    Isaiah Davis
    RB South Dakota State

• CIN
    Michael Turk
    P Oklahoma

• CIN
    Anton Harrison
    OT Oklahoma

• CIN
    Kyu Blu Kelly
    CB Stanford

• CIN
    Blake Freeland
    OT BYU

• CIN
    Olusegun Oluwatimi
    OC Michigan

• CIN
    Deshawn Pace
    LB Cincinnati

• CIN
    Dontay Demus Jr.
    WR Maryland

• CIN
    Jalen Redmond
  •  
  • as many corners and offensive lineman as I could find.

I don't see us taking 3 OL, I doubt we get rid of nearly that many.

If Drue Chrisman is our punter next year, that'll be a massive fail.  Not necessarily saying you have to draft one, but we better be bringing in someone or preferably multiple someones to compete for that job.  Chrisman's low hangtimes just aren't going to cut it.

OL and CB in rounds 1 and 2, in any order. After that I don't care. The emphasis again should be to protect Joe - that's really all that matters.

I really hate the idea of drafting a TE in round 1, it's a luxury we can't afford. I also think Hurst is a good TE that we'll sign to a reasonable multi-year deal before the draft.

39 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

OL and CB in rounds 1 and 2, in any order. After that I don't care. The emphasis again should be to protect Joe - that's really all that matters.

I really hate the idea of drafting a TE in round 1, it's a luxury we can't afford. I also think Hurst is a good TE that we'll sign to a reasonable multi-year deal before the draft.

I'm not well versed on the CB's after the first few that will be gone by 28, so i'm not enamored with many of them as of yet.  I'll learn.  I do think that 25-50 range is pretty good for OT.

9 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I'm not well versed on the CB's after the first few that will be gone by 28, so i'm not enamored with many of them as of yet.  I'll learn.  I do think that 25-50 range is pretty good for OT.

Lucky for us everything I'm reading (in the early stages of the draft process) indicates that this is a strong CB and OL class, particularly in the top 100 - EDGE too.

Daniel Jeremiah has 8 CBs and 8 OLs in his first top 50 release. Pencil us in for one.

2 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

I don't hate it if it's the right tight end and the value is better there than some other spots. A guy who excels as a blocker and can be a quality receiving option would bring a lot of value. I like Hurst, but our other options are not impressive.

46 minutes ago, Beck Bristow said:

A guy who excels as a blocker and can be a quality receiving option would bring a lot of value.

My beef is that this is a guy you can get on day 3 of the draft. I mean, isn't this who Drew Sample was supposed to be? It's been arguably our worst draft pick in the last 3 years (or longer).

Mayer at 28 would be great value. I wouldn't mind him even if we extend Hurst, as Mayer is much more physical. An OT or CB in the first would be fine too. If Paris Johnson falls to the middle of the first, the team could even consider moving up for him as a replacement for Jonah after 2023. A move like that would help with the cap situation in 2024 and make it possible to extend another player like Higgins or Wilson. 

19 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

I don't hate it if it's the right tight end and the value is better there than some other spots. A guy who excels as a blocker and can be a quality receiving option would bring a lot of value. I like Hurst, but our other options are not impressive.

I don't mind a good TE, but I don't love it in the 1st. Give me a vet signing or Hurst again (preferred) and get a TE in 2 or 3. 

• 1 month later...

Some notes after the Combine…

As much as RB is devalued these days, Jahmyr Gibbs at 28 is so tempting. A homer run receiving threat out of the backfield takes this offence to another level.

Also, it’s interesting to see where our focus is based on formal interviews at the combine. Corner, TE, RB, and DT standout.

Darnell Washington did what we all expected, dominated the combine. I don't think this should change a whole lot. At the moment I’m not on board taking him at 28, to be honest. Haven’t watched him extensively yet, but from what I’ve seen I haven’t been all that impressed. I get Jermaine Gresham vibes.

Favorite Mock as it stands right now (which also fits the Bengals profile):

1. Darnell Wright OT Tennessee

2. Zach Charbonnet RB UCLA

3. Sam Laporta TE Iowa

4. Karl Brooks DT Bowling Green

A+ IMO. 

Edited by SmittyBacall

10 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Some notes after the Combine…

As much as RB is devalued these days, Jahmyr Gibbs at 28 is so tempting. A homer run receiving threat out of the backfield takes this offence to another level.

Also, it’s interesting to see where our focus is based on formal interviews at the combine. Corner, TE, and DT standout.

Darnell Washington did what expected, dominated the combine. I’m not on board taking him at 28, to be honest. Haven’t watched him extensively yet, but from what I’ve seen I haven’t been impressed.

Favourite Mock as it stands right now (which also fits the Bengals profile):

1. Darnell Wright OT Tennessee

2. Zach Charbonnet RB UCLA

3. Sam Laporta TE Iowa

4. Karl Brooks DT Bowling Green

A+ IMO. 

Solid draft there. Darnell Wright seemed to solidify himself as an end of the first round guy. My only hesitation is if he can play left tackle at all. We might be a year out from needing a Jonah replacement.

Second round running back annoys me, but seems very likely. Similarly To TE, there's lots of running backs that could have an impact throughout the draft.  Still, I can see them wanting to get "their gut" and grabbing him in two. 

I hope we address interior offensive line fairly early, like in round 4. I don't like any of the depth and I don't know that Volson should just be the certain starter.

1 hour ago, Beck Bristow said:

Second round running back annoys me, but seems very likely.

I'm not psyched about it either, but it feels like it's inevitable as I don't think Mixon is back next year.

1 hour ago, Beck Bristow said:

I hope we address interior offensive line fairly early, like in round 4. I don't like any of the depth and I don't know that Volson should just be the certain starter.

My guess is that they view Volson as the starter. In fact, I think 4 of the 5 spots are locked in (from LT to RG - as unfortunate as that may be).