2023 Draft

THE DUKE

2 hours ago, sparky151 said:

They'll likely re-sign Wilcox and Sample. Those guys are just hoping to make a roster somewhere. I could see them signing a starting TE in free agency. There are a lot of decent vets on the market. Once they start signing it becomes musical chairs. This is a good group of TEs in the draft so we might take one there too but if we sign a vet starter, it's less of an imperative. 

Losing Hurst hurts but someone like Gesicki or Hooper would be a like for like replacement. 

There's no rush on Wilcox/Sample.  They'll be available long after the draft if needed.

I really like Gesicki, and think he's more than a like in kind replacement for Hurst.  Hooper i agree is pretty meh and fits that Hurst model.

I meant like for like in the sense that they are pass catchers who don't give you much as blockers. Gesicki would be a fine addition. So would Dalton Schultz. But both players will likely cost more than Hurst got from the Panthers. Hooper might be cheap enough now to cost less than Hurst so that's my bet for where the Bengals shop. 

Even with Brown in the fold, I wouldn't rule out a RT at 28 all together.  If there is no CB or DT they like there, I could see a trade back or a Dawand Jones/Darnell Wright/Anton Harrison pick and then the oline is pretty solidified for the next few years.

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Even with Brown in the fold, I wouldn't rule out a RT at 28 all together.  If there is no CB or DT they like there, I could see a trade back or a Dawand Jones/Darnell Wright/Anton Harrison pick and then the oline is pretty solidified for the next few years.

If the plan is for Jonah to play RT this year, there's no reason to not go RT at 28.

5 minutes ago, theJ said:

If the plan is for Jonah to play RT this year, there's no reason to not go RT at 28.

A few options:

• Explore a trade
  • Battle Volson at LG, although if they don't plan on extending him I'm not sure if that is in the cards
  • Depth.  The odds we don't need someone to step in at either T spot this year is near 0
  • The Dax Hill treatment.  We don't start them day 1, we use 6 OL sets, they fill in for injury, etc...

Is it likely?  No, but like I said, I wouldn't rule it out.  If there is no willing trade partner for a trade back, no TE, CB, or DT they value there, and really like the RT type that is on the board, it could happen.

6 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

A few options:

• Explore a trade
  • Battle Volson at LG, although if they don't plan on extending him I'm not sure if that is in the cards
  • Depth.  The odds we don't need someone to step in at either T spot this year is near 0
  • The Dax Hill treatment.  We don't start them day 1, we use 6 OL sets, they fill in for injury, etc...

Is it likely?  No, but like I said, I wouldn't rule it out.  If there is no willing trade partner for a trade back, no TE, CB, or DT they value there, and really like the RT type that is on the board, it could happen.

I agree.  I see #3/4 as the more likely scenarios if a RT is drafted in Rounds 1 or 2.  After that i don't think you can count on that player contributing, so it becomes more of a year to year plan.  

I don't see a DT as likely at 28. It's not a big need. We could use a backup for Hill but we used a 3rd on Carter last year and they say they liked what they saw from him. Reader is going into the last year of his current contact and is expensive so perhaps they are looking for his replacement. Siaki Ika will be on the board there but I'd consider that a reach. 

My guess is that TE is the most likely position. If Mayer is available, he'd be a no-brainer. Washington or Kincaid would also deserve consideration if they are there too.

CB would be the next most likely position. Chido is coming off an injury and entering the final year of his contract. We haven't yet re-signed Apple or Flowers.

RB might get consideration, especially if Bijan Robinson is on the board. But maybe also for Jamyr Gibbs. 

PFF Mock with trade downs today

Traded 28 for 36 and 69 from the Rams
Traded 36 for 45 and 78 from the Packers
45. Adetomiwa Adebawore, DT, Northwestern
60. Sam LaPorta, TE, Iowa
69. Garrett Williams, CB, Syracuse
78. Luke Wypler, C, Ohio State
92. Parker Washington, WR, Penn State
131. Israel Abanakanda, RB, Pittsburgh
164. Jakorian Bennett, CB, Maryland
205. Ronnie Bell, WR, Michigan
247. Mohamed Ibrahim, RB, Minnesota

Williams, Wypler, and Washington are all about 2024 to backfill behind Chido, Boyd, and Wypler could use a year being a redshirt sophmore coming out.  Adebawore is an instant rotational pass rusher, LaPorta starting TE, Abanakanda starting RB if we cut Mixon.  Bennett, Bell, and Ibrahim for depth and future depth.

I don't think yesterday changed anything.  Most likely targets are probably still OT, CB or TE.  Outside shot of DT, but the last one they took in round 1 was Justin Smith, correct?  They really prefer to take those guys in rounds 2-5.

OT - 40%
CB - 40%
TE - 20%

I have TE lower down as the last few times they've gone that route they've been burned. 

Kancey would be a poor pick. If he went to somewhere other than Pitt, nobody would be comparing him to Donald. I'd rather take Karl Brooks or Jalen Redmond on day 3. 

I doubt we take an OT as we're currently pretty well stocked with Brown, Collins, Williams, Carman, Adeniji and the former practice squad guys. 

My guess is 55% CB, 40% TE, 5% RB.

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

Kancey would be a poor pick. If he went to somewhere other than Pitt, nobody would be comparing him to Donald. I'd rather take Karl Brooks or Jalen Redmond on day 3. 

I doubt we take an OT as we're currently pretty well stocked with Brown, Collins, Williams, Carman, Adeniji and the former practice squad guys. 

My guess is 55% CB, 40% TE, 5% RB.

Keep in mind though that at OT, Collins and Williams are on 1 year deals at this point.  They won't be around in 2024, and Collins may not even be around in 2023.  Adeniji has cost this team two SBs, so there's no way he's here long term.  And Carman is just a bonus at this point.  They need more long term answers, so writing off OT at 28 would be a mistake IMO.